Fall Back Orders Suggetion.

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Blackbirdx61
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Fall Back Orders Suggetion.

Post by Blackbirdx61 »

One thing that bothers me about this game, because I have never seen this in any Miniatures Rules,

Is the lack of any sort of Fall back order, LI should be able to retreat through their supports before Heavy and Medium foot.
Their simply alot faster and if my Numidian Javelins dont want to melee with your Legions, you really cant force them too;
but in the game you can.

Again, Any Cav should be able to break contact and retreat away from any foot.
Last I checked the Slowest Horse is one hell of a lot faster than any human.

Add some Penalties sure, LI retreating through Heavy or Medium Infantry who are not Regulars in good order Disorder them for a Turn.
Same and more so with the Horse. Theres lots of rules out there and lots of possibilities. But being unable to advance my Pikes because
some piddling archer unit is trapped in and occupying a Legionaries zone of control can get quite annoying and is flat out ridiculous and a Historical.

Honestly under the Current rules I don't see any point in even having LI, its just free BPs for the other side.

Thanks for your thoughts, BB.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Fall Back Orders Suggetion.

Post by TheGrayMouser »

LF should be able to evade from most enemies, unless you are either setting them to never evade, or they are getting trapped by zoc's or troop types they can't rave thru.

Mounted will break off if "half of their close combatants are steady infantry"

LF are imho too good for their cost.
Blackbirdx61

Post by Blackbirdx61 »

I've seen this mentioned before Setting ones troops to skirmish or something,
There is nothing I can find in the Manual that explains "Setting" the troops in the current patch,
FOG(U) v2.5.02.1042 GM2e Release (mod) build 201606061435

Nor is there any Right Click menu or anything like that I have been able to find.
I know alot of players are using an older patch, the differences are quite visible in the U-Tube Video's they post.

but best as I can tell, there is no "Setting" any troops in this game, not in the most current patch.
Certainly there is no explanation of how to do this in the manual.

Thanks for you time. BB.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Hi, sorry didn't realize you were using the Unity Beta. I haven't played/tested Unity for over a years worth of updates. Somewhere you can d/l the original game which is bug free and still has a big MP community, while waiting for Unity to be finished...
Blackbirdx61

Post by Blackbirdx61 »

Thankyou Actually.

I'm quite new here, and Honestly thought Unity was the current patch; while I know a lot of people still use the pre Unity program.
I do intend to down load it next break as I have seen a good few YouTubes of it and I like that presentation better; and from what your saying
it gives the player more control. again No apologies, I am in your debt; I gives me more motivation to download the Older version as well. BB.
Blackbirdx61

Post by Blackbirdx61 »

To be clear I have seen BGs Evade, and sometimes they are caught up and take casualties and thats proper.
But they should not be trapped turn after turn by troops they are simply alot faster than. Apply a penalty after sure;
but some sort of Voluntary Fall back/Break off should be allowed;

Should they disorder the troops they pass through. I think Regulars Foot should have some chance of retaining good order.
Horse and Irregular foot should (IMHO) be Disordered for that turn, much as if they were in rough territory.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Blackbirdx61 wrote:To be clear I have seen BGs Evade, and sometimes they are caught up and take casualties and thats proper.
But they should not be trapped turn after turn by troops they are simply alot faster than. Apply a penalty after sure;
but some sort of Voluntary Fall back/Break off should be allowed;

Should they disorder the troops they pass through. I think Regulars Foot should have some chance of retaining good order.
Horse and Irregular foot should (IMHO) be Disordered for that turn, much as if they were in rough territory.

Ah I see what you are saying. Its just one of those game mechanics that once locked into close combat, your "in it to win it", in part influenced, I guess, for simplicity and game play ( especially MP) ( Except for cavalry that can break off from infantry under certain circumstances , yet also not in your control) Later games based on similar tabletop designs and using a different engine , Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidea, feature more dymanic break offs etc. Also, note that there is Field of Glory 2 just announced.

Theres a million threads about the history of this game but a brief synopsis is Field of Glory was a game based on Field of Glory Ancients and Medieval ( Tabletop game ) and was developed by Hexwar.
After several years Slitherine appears to have wanted further development on the game but Hexwar had other commitments and so they decided to rebuild the game from visual basic to Unity with a new developer, and thus Field of Glory Unity was born... and is still being born as its ( as you have found out) still in a quasi beta state for some time now. The Unity engine has potential to really add all the things many wanted over the years for the game, but in IMHO hasn't even reached the "lets replicate the original" phase yet. Others might disagree... I play the original. If someday a final "version" is declared I'll give it a try then...

All I ever wanted was multi multi-player and DOUBLE SIDED units ( like the old GMT wargames) :)
Blackbirdx61

Post by Blackbirdx61 »

Thanks Mouse, Down Loaded 1.8 today, pretty sure Im going to be happier with it;
I'm pretty new and have bumped too often into you should be able to ... but cant; so I dont see much room to argue with you,
FoG Unity has not even replicated 1.8 yet and Im going to bet with FoG II Launching soon It never will.
I expect once FoG II is launched the Devs will want to focus in building up that content library. Ta for now BB.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

They really need to finish the Unity dev. if for anything so that we can play the two+ modules that came out and the Scrolls module that is supposed to come out as the last module.

If for any reason we should be able to play the full game - include editors - with Unity.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”