Quick AI Questions.(Unity version)

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

Blackbirdx61
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Quick AI Questions.(Unity version)

Post by Blackbirdx61 »

I'm very new to this, but. I was wondering

1. Is it possible to toggle the AI and have allow the human to play both sides, for the deployment phase and maybe the first couple moves.
that way the human player could at least deploy the opposing army reasonably; Before handing the fight over to the AI.
Chess programs do this routinely allowing the player to play a specific opening/variation. Its good training.

As another poster noted http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 84&t=77202 The AI deployments are Ridiculous.
As the AI is playing Scripted Armies, hiding some deployment templates in the program would seem pretty reasonable to me.
The routine could pick a reasonably clear center point and deploy from there, to assist the AI in starting with a reasonable set up.

2. is it possible to load a saved game in the Scenario Editor. I was playing Carthage vs Syracuse Earlier today, the Scenario could have been most interesting,
but as was all the Syracuse Hoplites started behind some aweful Terrain. As I redeployed all my troops to the good half of the map it was a simple thing to flank this larger army and smash its Right wing before half of the AIs troops could even get into the fight. I have played one Scenario through Solo H/H; but thats not nears so much fun.
While I'm sure some people would use a toggle to "Cheat" the AI; umm whats the point. But a Toggle would allow us players to start from a more interesting/ reasonable set up.

Does 2.4 have a Scenario Editor. If so I cant find it, I have read some old threads indicating one needs to install 1.8 to create scenarios; but surely you have addressed this by now?

Thanks for you time and thoughts BB.
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Quick AI Questions.(Unity version)

Post by Micha63 »

1. Is it possible to toggle the AI and have allow the human to play both sides, for the deployment phase and maybe the first couple moves.
that way the human player could at least deploy the opposing army reasonably; Before handing the fight over to the AI.
Chess programs do this routinely allowing the player to play a specific opening/variation. Its good training.

I would say no, you can set up which side is Human and which side is ai only bevore the game starts.

2. is it possible to load a saved game in the Scenario Editor.

I dont think so. Fog unity has no scenarioeditor for the moment.
I have never tryd it but i"m sure a savegame is another file than a scenariofile.
Only the old fog has a scenarioeditor.
cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Re: Quick AI Questions.(Unity version)

Post by cothyso »

0) The AI was, and still is, the main most important single objective of FoG(U). As it is right now, is just slightly over FoG(RB)'s one, but the whole AI code was written for further extension in the future. The basis for this extended Ai work is already in the code, and I just need to find finish extinguishing all the past problems in order to bring the FoG(U) Ai to what should really be.

1) It would be possible without oo much code work, but it would spoil a big part of the challenge (ie nullifying the FoW aspect of the game, which will be really important for asymmetrical balanced games)

2) yes, it is possible to load and edit a saved game into a scenario, though I don't remember exactly if the Editor has interface (UI) code for this.

3) FoG(U) always had an Editor, it is just disabled in the release version as the UI interface update work on it was just not high priority work. You can see it in the latest v2.6.00.1045 beta version build, and it works just fine. The problem is that you can not save the scenario you were editing.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”