Unit Question

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Leonidas048
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Unit Question

Post by Leonidas048 »

Hello after all these years playing the game i still havent worked out what does the gold ring around the base of certain units in the description of units in the bottom left hand corner of the screen mean? I cant find any real description in the manual what they suppose to be or what benefits they have because i notice that some units have a description that says they are impact units but some with the gold ring base dont have that! Hope someone can explain this great mystery thanks.
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Unit Question

Post by ZeaBed »

I'd just be happy to finally find out what bow with an asterisk means, as opposed to an asterisk-less bow. But we can't have everything.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ZeaBed wrote:I'd just be happy to finally find out what bow with an asterisk means, as opposed to an asterisk-less bow. But we can't have everything.

You should have asked :) *bow have same POA as regular bow, except they use 2 dice vs 3 dice!
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

Leonidas048 wrote:Hello after all these years playing the game i still havent worked out what does the gold ring around the base of certain units in the description of units in the bottom left hand corner of the screen mean? I cant find any real description in the manual what they suppose to be or what benefits they have because i notice that some units have a description that says they are impact units but some with the gold ring base dont have that! Hope someone can explain this great mystery thanks.
any troops that are considered 'shock', i.e. can anarchy charge, such as impact foot, offensive spears, pikes, lancers.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Leonidas048 wrote:Hello after all these years playing the game i still havent worked out what does the gold ring around the base of certain units in the description of units in the bottom left hand corner of the screen mean? I cant find any real description in the manual what they suppose to be or what benefits they have because i notice that some units have a description that says they are impact units but some with the gold ring base dont have that! Hope someone can explain this great mystery thanks.

Gold ring means they are shock troops: Heavy/scythed chariots, impact foot, pike, offensive spear and any mounted that have lances (except light horse).

Shock troops can anarchy, but generally they cause mal effects for moral saves if they win a combat (impact or melee)
ZeaBed
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by ZeaBed »

TheGrayMouser wrote:
ZeaBed wrote:I'd just be happy to finally find out what bow with an asterisk means, as opposed to an asterisk-less bow. But we can't have everything.

You should have asked :) *bow have same POA as regular bow, except they use 2 dice vs 3 dice!
I did. And then there's the added factor that some * bows give the designated unit a higher troop value while the same *bow gives another unit a lower value, depending on the unit. Doesn't make sense.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

ZeaBed wrote:
TheGrayMouser wrote:

I did. And then there's the added factor that some * bows give the designated unit a higher troop value while the same *bow gives another unit a lower value, depending on the unit. Doesn't make sense.
Well,. I meant since 2009 :wink: Not sure about cost, there are very few units w *bow anyhow... Off the top of my head I can think of the Sarmation light spear *bow cavalry and then the highlander medium impact foot that have them... Cavalry missle troops are "charged" more for an equivalent missile weapon than infantry. (which is why steppe armies are often real dogs to play with, just cost too much) Not to say there isn't a bug or miscosted unit or 5 in the game.
Leonidas048

Post by Leonidas048 »

Thanks so they can get out of control but for attacking units are they better for an initial attack or melees afterwards? I.e are they more beneficial than units with impact? Thanks for any help.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

Leonidas048 wrote:Thanks so they can get out of control but for attacking units are they better for an initial attack or melees afterwards? I.e are they more beneficial than units with impact? Thanks for any help.
Well , being classified as a shock troop only means they have to test for anarchy if they COULD charge an enemy, but you try to do something else with them ie move, shoot. If you do nothing with them the game will then test after you hit the end turn button. Their actual capabilities in melee and or impact combat is soley derived from either the unit type itself and or whatever type of weapon/armor/moral and or order state etc they have at the moment of melee and or impact. Some weapons or unit types cause additional cohesion test modifiers : so below (from the manual) gives one of the -1 modifiers to the loser of a close combat:

*Losing a melee or impact combat against elephants or scythed chariots.
*Medium foot losing a melee or impact combat against mounted or heavy foot.
*Losing an impact combat against lancers.
*Foot losing an impact combat against impact foot.

I bolded the ones that are shock troops, although heavy chariots WOULD be counted as mounted and thus get the benefit vs mediums troops.

So basically all shock troops are subject to anarchy, but some but not all can cause increased chance an enemy BG will lose a cohesion test, but again is based on situation and the individual weapon or unit type.
Leonidas048

Post by Leonidas048 »

Thanks so really you have to keep an eye on them so they dont get out of control and compromise your positions or attack stronger units. Does having a leader near them control their anarchy?

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”