Kind of torn about getting this game...

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

SnuggleBunnies
Major-General - Jagdtiger

Kind of torn about getting this game...

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

I saw that FOG was on sale and was thinking about getting it, but am kind of on the fence. Here's what I was thinking, would like to hear your thoughts on it:

I love both Sengoku Jidai and Pike and Shot. While I learned both games by playing through all the missions and some campaign mode, I now play exclusively multiplayer for both, so FOGs comparatively lackluster AI shouldn't bother me too much. I greatly enjoy the sense of a gradual loss of control of your army as a battle grinds on, and am not entirely clear on whether FOG shares this. I do prefer the Archon engine's isometric style to the top down miniatures of FOG, but gameplay is always more important than graphics to me. I don't think liking one means I can't like the other, though I've read some posts on the forums that suggested that the Pike and Shot system was a substantial departure from FOG digital. I do like to play with the randomly generated maps, and randomly chosen armies - after all, the vast majority of generals have historically had to fight with whatever army they had, not the army they wish they had. I believe FOG wouldn't allow me to play with either, its focus instead being on building effective armies with limited points.

I know that Richard is working on the next iteration of the game, which may or may not come out next year - I'm sure I'll get it, considering how much I've enjoyed the last two releases he's worked on, and the rumors of a new engine.

So, I think I can get the base game and all expansions for well under $100 - is it worth spending? Being familiar with FOG, I don't think it will be as hard for me to learn the game as to a total newcomer. On the other hand, I've heard a lot of grumbling about the state of the latest release, and it seems that arguing about bugs, the dice system, evasion, and tiny maps are a FOG tradition. Of course, I've read plenty of threads decrying various systems in Pike and Shot, which I love, so - given that the next game in the series is going to be out (fingers crossed) in a year or so, what do you guys think the chances are of an avid Pike and Shot/Sengoku Jidai multiplayer enjoying the game?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Re: Kind of torn about getting this game...

Post by NikiforosFokas »

Get it!! You can fight MP battles with random army. There is this choice (but the most of the players do not use it). Without ever played SJ or PS (i am not interesting of these historical periods), there is for sure many hours to enjoy it. About the buggy new release, do not worry because nobody use it right now... We hope that it will be fixed soon. The dice thing is really a matter, but if you spend some time to the mp section of the forum you will see always the same persons as winners. That means that dice rolls (i.e. luck) are not the top factor on the result of the game. But the bad players of the game (with me first of all) likes to think the rng responsible for our defeats. ps: I get the whole packet when each "dlc" had a cost of 19,99 Euro and i have never regreted it.
For Byzantium!!
JocaRamiro
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by JocaRamiro »

I agree with the above.

go with the current version for now. Whether or not there is too much randomness in the dice, skill does win out.
SnuggleBunnies

Post by SnuggleBunnies »

Alright, I'm going to get it. Two questions. Which version should i install? I'm not clear on the difference between the two.

Also, how does disorder work? In PnS, a unit attacking into disordering terrain is disordered. If a unit attacks from terrain into open ground, the defender is not disordered. Is this the case in FOG as well?
SnuggleBunny's Field of Glory II / Medieval / Pike and Shot / Sengoku Jidai MP Channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjUQy6dEqR53NwoGgjxixLg
kilroy1
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by kilroy1 »

SnuggleBunnies wrote:Alright, I'm going to get it. Two questions. Which version should i install? I'm not clear on the difference between the two.

Also, how does disorder work? In PnS, a unit attacking into disordering terrain is disordered. If a unit attacks from terrain into open ground, the defender is not disordered. Is this the case in FOG as well?
This is the version that you want: http://www.slitherine.com/products/prod ... atformID=1. You can always try the Unity version later (http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 84&t=73936).
Field of Glory Wiki: http://web.archive.org/web/201204070941 ... mbat+works
Field of Glory help: http://web.archive.org/web/201109101535 ... index.html

kilroy
Jonathan4290
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Jonathan4290 »

I second Kilroy. Get the original version until the Unity version is confirmed playable or you will get frustrated.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

I bought the original version and played it a lot at one time. When I went to install the game again AND bought the OoF module it ended up being the Unity version after I did the update. When I go to the Multiplayer forum there are only a handful of games available.

Question: are there TWO multiplayer forums running for games: one of the older install and one for the newer install? Is there a way to reinstall my game without having it "PUSH" the update to the Unity version so that I can play the older game and thus have more challenges I can accept?

What exactly are the bugs of the Unity version? I have played a few games using it and it seems to work fine. Not happy that I cannot use my older DG armies I created but oh well. Its fun building the armies and I can recreate them fairly quickly.
MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

There are two multiplayer lobbies, Old_Warrior, the one for the new version is separate to the one for the old version.

Also, the old and new versions are quite different and separate too, so you can have both versions installed on your computer at the same time. Any supplements you bought for the old can be used with the new, with the same keys.

If you email support they can provide you with a link direct to the old version, so that you can download and install the original version too.

Best Wishes

Mike
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

Thanks, Mike! Means I can use my old armies too. I copied them over from my older PC.
MikeMarchant

Post by MikeMarchant »

You're welcome, Old_Warrior.

Best Wishes

Mike
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

And I am up and running and in a game (after many years) thanks to you and the tech support folks who pointed me to one of Iain's posts about how to install the game. I had to go around the usual "in-game" update and download the 1.81 update directly. Or maybe you have to do that anyway. Bottom line is I can now play the battles again.

Hope they correct the bugs in the Unity version. I would miss an editor and the Help button was also greyed out in my Unity game too.
KeathZerstorer
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by KeathZerstorer »

Old_Warrior wrote:And I am up and running and in a game (after many years) thanks to you and the tech support folks who pointed me to one of Iain's posts about how to install the game. I had to go around the usual "in-game" update and download the 1.81 update directly. Or maybe you have to do that anyway. Bottom line is I can now play the battles again.

Hope they correct the bugs in the Unity version. I would miss an editor and the Help button was also greyed out in my Unity game too.
Me too, especially Editor :-)

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”