FoG(U) Update #36

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

cothyso
NewRoSoft
NewRoSoft

Re: FoG(U) Update #34

Post by cothyso »

The Editor is working fine, but its menu was not updated in a loong time to reflect the several modifications in the scenario/map/army lists/game save file formats, and therefore you can not save what you are editing in it atm, until its interface will get an update too.

legacy FoG(RB) to FoG(U) v2.6.00.1045 scenario conversion
t341
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by t341 »

I was using a bad rar program, now it works, thanks so much!!!
t341
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by t341 »

Seeing some new scenarios from Swifter than eagles, if you have the time it would be great to see a list of the new ones.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1883329641902873/
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

Great work on the most recent update.

The units are much sharper now and less pixelated on zoomin. Exactly like the previous FOG game but more visible on the map in your version.

Also the bad clipping (or whatever was the cause) for fields is gone now.

It's finally time for me to start using this version instead the old FOG.
DonCzirr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by DonCzirr »

Sounds very promising ....

Dan - if this build on the PC works out, any ideas on how long it will take to do the Unity port to IOS ?
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

I encountered some issues in latest v2.6.00.1045 (GM3) (2017.07.31)

- First of all the units absolutely looks sharper on my configuration. Good job.

- When selecting the digital army generator and selecting one of the gamebooks to build your army with, there is no way to go back to the main menu anymore. The back button brings you in a loop between the bookselector and the armylist. There is no other way then Alt F4 to exit the game.

- My units don't move after any move order. I see a big white text in the upper left corner of the screen "movement starting" but nothing happens. After trying different input the "i" button for one reason start the movement sequence.
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

The movement works as normal. Fault was on my end since I activated a pause on move function in the options menu I wasn't aware of.

Still the bug with the menu is pretty annoying. The "back" button in the end should bring you to the main menu and not to the menu you visit before. You now end up in an endless loop of back and forward between the book selector and the army lists.
Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Micha63 »

Hello, have a problem with the handycap settings. In game status the handy cap is always neutral even though i give ++ to me.
By the way does ++ for me means an advance for me ?
ctimmerman
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by ctimmerman »

I didn't download v2.6.00.1045 (GM3) soon enough. I was hoping Slitherine would make it official. The link says the domain expired in mid Sept. Could the domain be updated or could the update beta be posted somewhere current?
Sull51
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Sull51 »

I have on my hard drive the original Unity download in July 2016. It is essentially a disaster of nearly nonworking program.
After 15 months you appear to have achieved level of beta (nearly working program) and hopefully a working editor.
The question I have now is how to download the beta to work with the existing game and how to install it
The link given takes you to a closed domain page
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

I'm sorry to say but I lost almost all hope for the Unity version of the original FOG.
I bought the original Field of Glory with all the expansions (some with my birthday coupon) shortly before release of the FOG (U) beta.
Knowing I was given a key for the new Unity version. (Hopefully on Steam as well, imho the way to attract new players).
When the beta was released I participated and posted many issues in the forums.

After a few months it turns out that the Unity version had more issues then expected and Slitherine decided to make the original FOG available for download and keep supporting MP for the original FOG for all key owners of FOG and FOG (U).

Also Slitherine decided to give discount coupons in return (the full value) for the people who bought the last two (Unity only) expansions for the game.

So simply said as a gamer I lost nothing, except the excitement of the Steam release of a better working Unity version. It's just a very bad story for Slitherine and the developer as I can give my opinion.
I think in the end it cost them a lot of money and the developer didn't earn anything good as well.

There is simply no one to blame in this situation. It's just very sad. The developer was ambitious, a fan of the original game and did an incredible amount of work with patches, fixes after the beta release.
Also Slitherine did everything they could for their customers.

So sad that the last (GM3) beta version isn't available for download anymore.
I have it on my disk and it's the best version till now (at least the graphics glitches and unit models are sharp now) and most of the mechanics works as intended (also new gamebreaking bugs I have to say).

But since August I don't see the developer and/or Slitherine post anything anymore about the game, the download isn't updated since mid september and the release of FOG II is on the horizon.

I stop dreaming about the FOG (U) version, hopefully we hear one day about what happens the last two months and hopefully the developer come back one day.

I start to look forward to the the FOG II release now. I leave the FOG (U) forum. Thanks everyone.
fogman
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind
Sr. Colonel - Wirbelwind

Post by fogman »

well, the publisher has cut loose the developer who at this point is working on it in his spare time. Truth is, there is little incentive for him to continue: the number of players has shrunk to insignificance. Fog (U) had a future 4 years ago, when it was supposed to come out. Now it has none. Personally, Fog (RB) will continue to reside on my hard drive to the exclusion of Fog (U). I will wait and see how Fog II pans out but I doubt it will replace its predecessor: it doesn't have the breadth of time periods (yet) and it's played on squares, which is a major issue for me (that turned me off Pike and Shot); also I'm now on Mac...
DonCzirr

Post by DonCzirr »

I think there's still room for FOG U - but on mobile.

FOG II won't be showing up there ... so it leaves an opening for a solid Ancients game system.

Publish on IOS and I will buy.
Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Cablenexus wrote:I'm sorry to say but I lost almost all hope for the Unity version of the original FOG.
I bought the original Field of Glory with all the expansions (some with my birthday coupon) shortly before release of the FOG (U) beta.
Knowing I was given a key for the new Unity version. (Hopefully on Steam as well, imho the way to attract new players).
When the beta was released I participated and posted many issues in the forums.

After a few months it turns out that the Unity version had more issues then expected and Slitherine decided to make the original FOG available for download and keep supporting MP for the original FOG for all key owners of FOG and FOG (U).

Also Slitherine decided to give discount coupons in return (the full value) for the people who bought the last two (Unity only) expansions for the game.

So simply said as a gamer I lost nothing, except the excitement of the Steam release of a better working Unity version. It's just a very bad story for Slitherine and the developer as I can give my opinion.
I think in the end it cost them a lot of money and the developer didn't earn anything good as well.

There is simply no one to blame in this situation. It's just very sad. The developer was ambitious, a fan of the original game and did an incredible amount of work with patches, fixes after the beta release.
Also Slitherine did everything they could for their customers.

So sad that the last (GM3) beta version isn't available for download anymore.
I have it on my disk and it's the best version till now (at least the graphics glitches and unit models are sharp now) and most of the mechanics works as intended (also new gamebreaking bugs I have to say).

But since August I don't see the developer and/or Slitherine post anything anymore about the game, the download isn't updated since mid september and the release of FOG II is on the horizon.

I stop dreaming about the FOG (U) version, hopefully we hear one day about what happens the last two months and hopefully the developer come back one day.

I start to look forward to the the FOG II release now. I leave the FOG (U) forum. Thanks everyone.
By,by :)
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

fogman wrote:well, the publisher has cut loose the developer who at this point is working on it in his spare time. Truth is, there is little incentive for him to continue: the number of players has shrunk to insignificance. Fog (U) had a future 4 years ago, when it was supposed to come out. Now it has none. Personally, Fog (RB) will continue to reside on my hard drive to the exclusion of Fog (U). I will wait and see how Fog II pans out but I doubt it will replace its predecessor: it doesn't have the breadth of time periods (yet) and it's played on squares, which is a major issue for me (that turned me off Pike and Shot); also I'm now on Mac...
In any way Fog 1 gives us hundreds of great scenarios and covers the timperiode for agypt to rennecaince very well. I love fog unity also and have no problems with the small problems it has. Fog 2 is no option for me, if i want a 3 d game i would play rome total war or others.
Important is to keep the old fog playable on modern systems. If the development of fog unity will continiue its good, if not i will live with it. For me everything is fine . :D
Vargas78
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Vargas78 »

@Cablenexus you say that 'Slitherine decided to give discount coupons in return (the full value) for the people who bought the last two (Unity only) expansions for the game'

How do I go about getting this coupons? I bought both those last two unity only expansions. A shame the way it turned out, i had high hopes for the unity version too around July 2016. If I am eligible for discount coupons for those two, i'd like to go for it, i'd put it towards FOG II.
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

Vargas78 wrote:@Cablenexus you say that 'Slitherine decided to give discount coupons in return (the full value) for the people who bought the last two (Unity only) expansions for the game'

How do I go about getting this coupons? I bought both those last two unity only expansions. A shame the way it turned out, i had high hopes for the unity version too around July 2016. If I am eligible for discount coupons for those two, i'd like to go for it, i'd put it towards FOG II.
I want to refer to the original post from Slitherine about it (last alinea).

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 84&t=73007
Vargas78
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Vargas78 »

@Cablenexus that's a pity, I bought them in December 2016 after that announcement. But it was on the basis that I was still expecting the Unity version to be updated and improved from it's problems and thought it was still likely to happen at that point.
Cablenexus
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by Cablenexus »

Vargas78 wrote:@Cablenexus that's a pity, I bought them in December 2016 after that announcement. But it was on the basis that I was still expecting the Unity version to be updated and improved from it's problems and thought it was still likely to happen at that point.
My personal experience with Slitherine support is very good.
Send an email to support@slitherine.co.uk

btw I'm not totally sure if the Unity version isn't updated anymore. I still hope the developer is still working at the game.
I just felt to express my opinion after months of silence and hope we get an official update.
Vargas78
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Vargas78 »

It appears I'm not entitled to a coupon. But i'm interested in trying out the lastest beta build. The link to it dated 31st July doesn't seem to be working though. What/when is the last downloadable beta from?

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”