Discussion of release candidate (FOG Returns!)

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

grumblefish
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Discussion of release candidate (FOG Returns!)

Post by grumblefish »

I downloaded the release candidate, and I'm impressed but cautious. The game runs well, the pace is just as fast and fun as it used to be, and there are plenty of scenarios and army lists to choose from. I could see FOG making a comeback when this is released, honestly, as I'm already eager to play a few online rounds. I remember crushing all opposition with the invincible Seleucids (any stories about the swiss are just that, mere stories), and I assume things will be much the same with this new version.

That said, here's some observations I made:

1. You can't see the picture of the unit anymore when designing your own army. Please allow the player to see the picture of the unit; I can't be the only player who is willing to include a unit strictly because it looks cool.

2. I saw an infantry unit retreat through another infantry unit and not cause a disruption/fragmentation.

3. How do I remove the little green and red circles from the units?

4. Please check the rotation feature; if you rotate the camera and then end your turn, the camera will rotate back to the original angle during the opponents turn. Then, it won't automatically rotate back to your previously selected angle. You have to rotate again every turn.

Anyway, it looks good so far. I loaded up my scenario (Hecatombaeum) expecting it to be embarrassingly awful (I made it years ago, of course). It was actually pretty well balanced and fun; you either charge forward as quickly as you can with Sparta, or you desperately consolidate your forces with Achaea. Great stuff.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Discussion of release candidate (FOG Returns!)

Post by TheGrayMouser »

100 % agree

I do want to be able to toggle on or off ALL UI crap that obscures the nice ( in most cases) miniatures
So the bases (which colours are way too garish and oddly shaped to boot), all the many darned symbols D, double d's, P's ( played game for 6 years and what is that supposed to be? ) hands, etc need to be optional.

The unit images when mousing over a battle and in the DAG lists are sorely missed too...

Hecatombaeum was a fun battle!
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

Thanks, Hecatombaeum was my first and I think only attempt at making a scenario for the game. I thought it was a shame that the game didn't mention such an interesting period in history. The army list for Sparta also doesn't accord with Plutarch and Polybius, so I felt obliged to make a manual scenario.

Anyway, I think the "P" means pursuing; the unit is chasing a routed unit. I don't know what the double d's represent; do you mean the two skulls? Those skulls indicate casualties. One D is disordered, F is fragmented, R is route. If you click the little yellow arrow on the far right of the play screen, then the settings button, you can turn a few things on or off. Unfortunately, those garish green/red/blue circles cannot be banished.
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

grumblefish wrote:Thanks, Hecatombaeum was my first and I think only attempt at making a scenario for the game. I thought it was a shame that the game didn't mention such an interesting period in history. The army list for Sparta also doesn't accord with Plutarch and Polybius, so I felt obliged to make a manual scenario.

Anyway, I think the "P" means pursuing; the unit is chasing a routed unit. I don't know what the double d's represent; do you mean the two skulls? Those skulls indicate casualties. One D is disordered, F is fragmented, R is route. If you click the little yellow arrow on the far right of the play screen, then the settings button, you can turn a few things on or off. Unfortunately, those garish green/red/blue circles cannot be banished.
The new version displays a "d" for disordered and then another for disrupted, Him I think your right about "p" as I think some enemy units had P's after they attacked my units that evaded... Redundant and not needed IMHO

I realize the one UI graphic that would be usefull is the "in close combat" arrows!!
grumblefish

Post by grumblefish »

I thought they did have little red or grey arrows? I'll check again when they actually release it. How much time is involved between finishing the release candidate and it actually going "gold" and being made available for us to play online?
egos
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by egos »

Just started a PBEM game. No chat window with oooponent and after finishing and sending turn it took me back to main title screen, not the PBEM screen (therefore havign to login again). Graphics are really nice too! :)
Talizh2
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Talizh2 »

A huge fan of FOG when it first came out but after a couple years I got a new computer I never got around to reinstalling it. I recently returned to the game and tried the 2.3 build. I agree with TheGrayMouser that it seems too cluttered. For some reason, I could not alter the look of the bases or turn off the annoying bow and arrow icon marking missile troops (even if I toggled it in the preferences window). Nor could I see the ranged weapon arc of selected units. Compared to earlier builds the graphics seem better but even at max settings the new FOG looks a lot less smooth and crisp than the old FOG. Nevertheless, there are some nice functions, like the DAG army lists that you can easily choose for a battle, so I am curiously optimistic. Excited at the prospect of getting more army books too.

But I will admit that the new version quickly annoyed me and I reinstalled the old version and spent all night playing it, ha ha.
Talizh2
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Talizh2 »

Actually, I revise my opinion about the graphics. The new version appears to allow you to zoom in much more than the older one, which makes the models look a little blurry at the maximum zoom. Still unable to remove the missile troop icon or see the missile arcs. I have been playing both versions over the last couple days. This is a great game. Does anyone know if the new release will have a unit builder? It would be nice to be able to make custom battle groups for scenarios.
Terrement
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Terrement »

Where did you find the release candidate, please?

Cheers,

JJ
Talizh2
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Talizh2 »

For the release candidate see viewtopic.php?f=97&t=39843

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”