Why have all the avatar images become WWII?

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, FoG PC Moderator, NewRoSoft

deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

I'm not miffed by Nazi implications either, just the silliness of it all. I think TGM is cool with this because he gets to be an elite grenadier. Hey Morbio, lets strafe him with our 190s.

As for the Avatar quagmire, Sltherine has resleased all sorts of games since I started coming here and they never jerked our avatars around before. What makes PG (which is, afterall, just a rehash of a old game) so special?

Deeter
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

deeter wrote:I'm not miffed by Nazi implications either, just the silliness of it all. I think TGM is cool with this because he gets to be an elite grenadier. Hey Morbio, lets strafe him with our 190s.

As for the Avatar quagmire, Sltherine has resleased all sorts of games since I started coming here and they never jerked our avatars around before. What makes PG (which is, afterall, just a rehash of a old game) so special?

Deeter
Crap, i will need to post more so i can get a Flak 88 :)

True, they kept the avatars for a 10 year old game for some time , Panzer C is likly special as its a big release and no doudt they expect a lot from it . I have no issue with advertising per say, they are a business after all.
Be thankfull they didnt use the in game icons from that Henry the 8th puzzle game when it came out :wink:
Lysimachos
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Lysimachos »

But wouldn't it be better to give every player the possibility of choosing his avatar as he likes?

For example I got a wonderful marble bust of Lysimachos .. :roll:
"Audentis fortuna iuvat"
- Virgilius

(Good luck favours the brave)
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

TheGrayMouser wrote:
deeter wrote:I'm not miffed by Nazi implications either, just the silliness of it all. I think TGM is cool with this because he gets to be an elite grenadier. Hey Morbio, lets strafe him with our 190s.

Deeter

True, they kept the avatars for a 10 year old game for some time , Panzer C is likly special as its a big release and no doudt they expect a lot from it . I have no issue with advertising per say, they are a business after all.
Be thankfull they didnt use the in game icons from that Henry the 8th puzzle game when it came out :wink:
You're close to being an elite tiger!! 8)
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Guys we have not released an anceint game for over 2 years. We have 5 WW2 games releasing this year not counting the 4 Close Combat games. Ancients is a niche area when it comes to peoples historical interests. The vast majority prefer WW2. Thats not to say we dont love creating anceint games and plan to do more in future and greatly value the community. However they are no longer the only thing we do. The majority of our community are more interested in WW2 than ancients. Our forum needs to appeal to the majority of the community. There are many people who have commented on the avatars over the years and how they really dont like them. Some have been as offended by them as the posters above. Sadly you can't keep everyone happy all the time and nobody likes change. However for the good of the community and our site we need to move with the times.

The system does not have the ability to show mroe than one set of avatars. It also does not allow you to pick your own. These are both features we would like to have at some point but we have far more urgent things to look at such as more PBEM features and other server upgrades so will not happen in the near future. The new avatars are here to stay.

People seem to have take this as a deliberate attempt to offend, but lets be sensible. Why would we do that....

That's all I have to say on the subject.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

TheGrayMouser wrote: ...

Get posting! Clearly you should aspire to get to a Maus avatar in Panzer Gray!

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
deeter

Post by deeter »

No ancients game in two years? Where'd all those expansions on my hard drive come from?

Deeter
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

deeter wrote:No ancients game in two years? Where'd all those expansions on my hard drive come from?

Deeter
Truly very 1984 esque

"There are no ancients games, there never have been any ancients games "

@ Iain
Although I understand what you are saying, why twist a knife into the wound? No need to remind Ancients fans that they are a minority within a minority and we are lucky to see a new engine every 10 years :D

DasGrauMaus
Last edited by TheGrayMouser on Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

I wasn't counting expansion packs :)

You've got plenty of those coming!
Obelix
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Obelix »

deeter wrote:No ancients game in two years? Where'd all those expansions on my hard drive come from?

Deeter
That made me laugh! :D
Geordietaf
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by Geordietaf »

How can I turn off my ranking?
Brigz
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by Brigz »

Iain,
So all this time past, all of the Slitherine WWII forums have had ancients avatars? Then I guess we ancients guys have nothing to complain about?

I personally don't give a crap what the avatars look like, just keep supporting FoW.
Epicouros
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Epicouros »

Um... just posting to see what my new avatar looks like... :P

On the subject of PG: does it have the same multiplay/PBEM system as FoG and BA?
If yes, I'd certainly consider purchasing it.

And yes, I liked the ancient avatars better (though there should have been more), and if WW2 avatars are going to stay, I support the idea of having both Axis & Allied ones, randomly.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Yes Panzer Corps uses the PBEM system.
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

I pack 5 cm :D
davouthojo
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by davouthojo »

Is there a DAG in Panzer Corps?
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

davouthojo wrote:Is there a DAG in Panzer Corps?
No , but that would be a nice idea.... Just scenarios. Currently slapping Blatherguts italians around with the red army ... uh of course he is doing the same to me as its a paired game.
bloodphoenix
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

German Avatars!

Post by bloodphoenix »

I can understand Slitherine wanting to promote their new product, and I admit the game does look cool...

However, it seems to me that they missed a perfect opportunity for a compromise that would have made everyone happy!

They wanted German avatars and titles? Well, on the FoG Forum they could have substituted things like:
"Cimbri archer", or "Ostrogoth spearman"...or even "Teutonic Man-at-Arms/Squire/Knight"!

Hey, I can wish, right?
JocaRamiro

Post by JocaRamiro »

I would first set aside the implict glorification of Nazism,

Setting that aside, I prefer the old avatars.

Now, bringing it back, I definitely prefer the old avatars.

Oh, and I should also mention not liking the notion that only Germans can play the campaign game.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

When we have a forum that supports it we will but currently we can only have one set globally.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”