FOG Wiki - Players Guide

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

Morbio
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

FOG Wiki - Players Guide

Post by Morbio »

This is probably the best guide to the FoG game it's useful for the experienced player and vital for the newbie. Please make the time to read it.

http://fog-pc-wiki.wikispaces.com

Please help make it better by sharing your knowledge too.

Many thanks to Davouthojo for starting this and sharing so much knowledge.

Slitherine: Can you sticky this post so it's easy for new and old players to find. Thanks.
stockwellpete
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: FOG Wiki - Players Guide

Post by stockwellpete »

I have started to contribute to the Wiki and will be giving my assessments of some of the medieval armies from "Storm of Arrows", "Eternal Empire" and "Swords and Scimitars". I have started with the Italian Condotta armies. :wink:
verstaubtgesicht
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by verstaubtgesicht »

This does not work anymore. Is there another source?
davouthojo
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by davouthojo »

Unfortunately, Wikipages started charging.

Archived versionhttp://web.archive.org/web/201204070941 ... mbat+works

Material has been all sent to Dan, will be resurrected after the new version comes out.
Last edited by davouthojo on Wed May 06, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kongxinga
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by kongxinga »

Eagerly awaiting the resurrection. I need a guide desperately. For example, I don't know what baggage is supposed to do. I know it can be looted by the enemy and let him win breakpoints, so why should I take a baggage in my DAG army?
Iwbtone
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Iwbtone »

Any plan when to revise the wiki?
Jonathan4290
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by Jonathan4290 »

Is there any way we can atleast post the wiki guide in a big thread here? It's not ideal but at least new players could use ctrl+find if they need to look something up.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
Calvitious
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Calvitious »

I agree. A broken guide is better than none from my beginner's chair. Sadly the new version keeps being delayed again and again so I wonder if there still a need to release the both of them together ?
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

kongxinga wrote:Eagerly awaiting the resurrection. I need a guide desperately. For example, I don't know what baggage is supposed to do. I know it can be looted by the enemy and let him win breakpoints, so why should I take a baggage in my DAG army?
If an enemy unit is adjacent to your camp, he rolls anarchy to see if he captures the camp. Taking protected baggage in the DAG army decreases the chances enemy units will be able to actually capture your camp.
Check out my website, The Art of Battle: Animated Battle Maps, where I recreate the greatest battles and campaigns of history: http://www.theartofbattle.com
kongxinga

Post by kongxinga »

Thank you for your reply. I have one more nagging question, and that is about bow*. The user guide seems to imply that it does slightly better versus a certain armour class (I think armoured), but I am not sure. What is the difference between bow and bow* and how much extra is that * costing me. Is it worth it ? I also miraculously managed to win my first DAG AI game, so at least past that hump. Previously I kept charging and failing to catch LH, know I know a bit about rallying, screening and using own LH to tie up enemy LH.

I also wonder about guides that say average knights are useless, while superior are what you need. The only drilled mounted troops in the army I am learning (Early Hungarian) are Mercenary Men at Arms, and they are drilled but average. I used them as general unit so they won't impetuously charge, but am I sacrificing a lot of firepower by doing so?
TheGrayMouser
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by TheGrayMouser »

kongxinga wrote:Thank you for your reply. I have one more nagging question, and that is about bow*. The user guide seems to imply that it does slightly better versus a certain armour class (I think armoured), but I am not sure. What is the difference between bow and bow* and how much extra is that * costing me. Is it worth it ? I also miraculously managed to win my first DAG AI game, so at least past that hump. Previously I kept charging and failing to catch LH, know I know a bit about rallying, screening and using own LH to tie up enemy LH.

I also wonder about guides that say average knights are useless, while superior are what you need. The only drilled mounted troops in the army I am learning (Early Hungarian) are Mercenary Men at Arms, and they are drilled but average. I used them as general unit so they won't impetuously charge, but am I sacrificing a lot of firepower by doing so?
Its been a long time since ive played alot so some of the micro details are fuzzy for me but:
*bow is not better than bow, it represents units armed with bow that A. arnt too proficient at it, or B. only a smaller portion of them carry the bow. I believe they use the same POA as bow, but get 1 less dice
Average knights are not bad pers e, the problem is if you line them up against suprior ones, you will get trashed, as the differnce is quality re-rolls for the superior troops in combat and cohesion tests. If the average lose a combat, they will then suffer a mal modifier for their cohesion test since they lost vs lancer(ie shock troops)
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

Overall, superior are the most effective troop quality per cost. For expensive units like knights, you're going to want that superior dice reroll, especially if you're facing impact HF and will be even on POAs, or superior units themselves.
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

For knights, superior are clearly the best for charging in and brute force smashing their way through the opposition. For that use it tends not to make a lot of difference if they are drilled or undrilled other than undrilled are more likely to suffer from anarchy if you try to do fancy maneuvering with them close to the enemy, or try to hold in position to make the enemy come to you. I find that I usually like to have some drilled knights to act in support of undrilled ones either to cover flanks or to maneuver in as a second wave to finish the job the superior ones started. For this purpose average drilled knights tend to be nearly as effective as superior drilled ones and significantly more cost effective. I often use average drilled knights for commanders if there isn't a less expensive alternative available, especially for my CinC. I will sometimes by a TC as a superior knight or similar with the expectation that he's just there to lead the initial knight charge and make it a bit more effective rather than to stay out of the battle and act as a real commander.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by batesmotel »

kongxinga wrote:Thank you for your reply. I have one more nagging question, and that is about bow*. The user guide seems to imply that it does slightly better versus a certain armour class (I think armoured), but I am not sure. What is the difference between bow and bow* and how much extra is that * costing me. Is it worth it ? I also miraculously managed to win my first DAG AI game, so at least past that hump. Previously I kept charging and failing to catch LH, know I know a bit about rallying, screening and using own LH to tie up enemy LH.

Bow* generally represents troops where only some of the unit is equipped with bows and therefore there are fewer actual men firing. Examples include Byzantine Tagmatic cavalry where the front ranks of the formation are only equipped with lances while the rear ranks are equipped with bows, and Scots Highlanders where all the troops are primarily foot equipped for firercely charging into close combat but where a proportion of the foot are also equipped with bows or other missile weapons. For foot, Bw* generally represents foot where there the formation isn't organinzed into separate ranks of archers and non -archers while foot with supporting archers represent the case where they are more formally separated in the formation.

Bw* troops normally fire with 2 attacks like LH and LF rather than with 3 attacks like bow armed cavalry or MF foot do.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
Strategiusz
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Strategiusz »

FoG wiki is still on web.archive.org. I think lots of people don't know that. http://web.archive.org/web/201204070941 ... mbat+works
Jonathan4290

Post by Jonathan4290 »

The archived one doesn't work anymore either. Who was/is responsible for the wiki page that expired? I'm thinking it needs to be handed over to someone.

There are very often new players looking to learn things about the system but can't, and are turned off by the game. I know that when I first started playing the wiki guide was invaluable to me beginning to understand how it all works and enjoying it.
NikiforosFokas
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by NikiforosFokas »

Jonathan4290 wrote:The archived one doesn't work anymore either. Who was/is responsible for the wiki page that expired? I'm thinking it needs to be handed over to someone.

There are very often new players looking to learn things about the system but can't, and are turned off by the game. I know that when I first started playing the wiki guide was invaluable to me beginning to understand how it all works and enjoying it.
Totally agree.
For Byzantium!!
hidde
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by hidde »

Jonathan4290 wrote:The archived one doesn't work anymore either. Who was/is responsible for the wiki page that expired? I'm thinking it needs to be handed over to someone.
Link works for me!
NikiforosFokas

Post by NikiforosFokas »

Only a part of the pages is saved in archived, and them without any images
For Byzantium!!
hidde

Post by hidde »

Had a closer look and you're right. But the 20 pages that are there seem to contain quite some good information for beginners.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”