Field of Glory works in Linux under WINE - yeahh

PC/Mac : Digital version of the popular tabletop gaming system. Fight battles on your desktop in single and mutiplayer!

Moderators: Slitherine Core, NewRoSoft, FoG PC Moderator

prunesquallor
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Field of Glory works in Linux under WINE - yeahh

Post by prunesquallor »

Just a heads-up to say that Field of Glory works very well on Linux using WINE. So far I can only see a couple of things that aren't working properly - both of which are hardly show-stopper. First - no sound - ah well I can live without that. Secondly the Chat dialogue box in multplayer mode can't be edited to correct typos etc. (just have to improve my typing!). Apart from that its excellent.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Great news - thanks :)

Go and post this to the Linux sites and get them playing too :)
batesmotel
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Field of Glory works in Linux under WINE - yeahh

Post by batesmotel »

prunesquallor wrote:Just a heads-up to say that Field of Glory works very well on Linux using WINE. So far I can only see a couple of things that aren't working properly - both of which are hardly show-stopper. First - no sound - ah well I can live without that. Secondly the Chat dialogue box in multplayer mode can't be edited to correct typos etc. (just have to improve my typing!). Apart from that its excellent.
What does not work with editting in the chat window? Unix/Linux may not handle the backspace the same way as Windows if that is the problem you are seeing. (At least traditional command line Unix did not treat back space as "delete the character preceeding the cursor" by default. Do the cursor keys work or not in editting the chat window? If it is just an issue with back space, there may be a setting for WINE to change that. It's been a long time since I've used WINE since I now work in a Windows shop.

Chris
....where life is beautiful all the time
tofman04
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by tofman04 »

prunesquallor wrote:Just a heads-up to say that Field of Glory works very well on Linux using WINE. So far I can only see a couple of things that aren't working properly - both of which are hardly show-stopper. First - no sound - ah well I can live without that. Secondly the Chat dialogue box in multplayer mode can't be edited to correct typos etc. (just have to improve my typing!). Apart from that its excellent.
For me I have problems to run FoG with wine. I mean I installed the game but when I try to run it I get an error.
I'm using Fedora 12 on a x86_64. Anyway I installed the last version of wine for i686 available for fedora 12.
Could you elaborate more your method for FoG under wine. i mean what wine packages you installed, what wine version, etc... and a recipe if you have one.
I'm very interested to run FoG under linux because I'm a heavy user of linux and is annoying to switch to windows only to play FoG.
Thanks in advance for any help.
prunesquallor

Post by prunesquallor »

HI,

I'm using WINE version 1.1.38 (latest version). I think, correct me if I'm wrong, Fedora uses version 1.0. I'm using Arch Linux which, as it's a "rolling upgrade" distro, tends to have the latest packages.

As for special recipes/tweaks to get the game working - I didn't have to. It just ran.
Nihil

Post by Nihil »

Same goes here, I have latest Wine version running under Ubuntu 9.10, didnt have to do anything and it works great, the only problem is the chat box.
prunesquallor

Post by prunesquallor »

Is your sound working?
Nihil

Post by Nihil »

prunesquallor wrote:Is your sound working?
I dont know I usually use my laptop while my wife watches tv so I must have the sound off :-) i will try it today to see if it is working.
tofman04

Post by tofman04 »

prunesquallor wrote:HI,

I'm using WINE version 1.1.38 (latest version). I think, correct me if I'm wrong, Fedora uses version 1.0. I'm using Arch Linux which, as it's a "rolling upgrade" distro, tends to have the latest packages.

As for special recipes/tweaks to get the game working - I didn't have to. It just ran.
Thanks for your answer. It was useful because I updated my version from 1.1.36 to 1.1.38 under fedora 12 and it's working like a charm. Only one drawback: the sound which is not working.

Cheers
deeter
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by deeter »

Dumb question: have you check your preferences to see if sound is set to off?

Deeter
tofman04

Post by tofman04 »

Of course I checked. Is set to maximum.
prunesquallor

Post by prunesquallor »

As far as I can tell sound doesn't work. Running winecfg and trying the various drivers (ALSA, OSS and JACK) produced no results. If anyone manages to get sound working please post the list. Mind you, as I said in my original post, it's no big deal.
petero
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by petero »

Just tried to run FOG on my Linux system. I have Linux Mint 10 which is Ubuntu based. Wine is version 1.1.42. FOG 1.3.3. I also have SOA 1.0

The sound works fine but when I finish a game the program will crash. This happens when the final win/lose/draw screen appears. If I close without playing a game and then quit from the main menu I also get a crash. The game play is fine so these are minor problems:)

I haven't tried multiplayer.
piltdown
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by piltdown »

Currently I'm running FoG on Ubuntu 10.04 with no problems at all - well all except the message editor. FoG also worked fine on Ubuntu 9.10. The only difference that I can see is that I don't run it with the sound on.
Strategiusz
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by Strategiusz »

OMG, it really works. I use Ubuntu 15.10 and FoG 1.8.1 with no expansions. Yes, it has no music, and typing messages and password for multiplayer is someway broken (it is possible to type, but editing with arrow keys etc is broken). I remember that I could not run this game by Virtual Box. Now I can return to this game, because I am 99% Linux user.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

This is good to hear. I would love to move over to Linux and get away from Gatesland software products. ;)
Philotomy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Philotomy »

I no longer have a Windows computer (I used to dual boot my Linux system, but decided to abandon Windows entirely when I replaced my system hard drive a while back), and haven't played FoG Digital in a while. Decided to give it a shot under Wine. Here's what I found:

I'm running Arch Linux on kernel 4.8.6, Wine 1.9.23, and I installed both FoG(RB) and FoG(U).

====================
FoG(RB) 181
====================
It works, but there's a bug with the music. Music does not play, and if it's enabled, the application crashes at the end of a battle (when the victory screen is shown and music should play). Disabling the music prevents it from crashing. Since the music isn't important to me, I haven't made much effort to figure out the problem, but it may be related to ALSA and midi configuration. Perhaps a software synthesizer like timidity needs to be installed/running. Not sure, yet.

More annoyingly, I was unable to install three expansions that I have serial numbers for (three others -- IFR, SAS, and ETE -- installed fine). Details of the failures follow:
  • Rise of Rome - installation fails in the setup program after I enter my serial number. It tells me the serial number is invalid.
  • Storm of Arrows - installation fails in the setup program after I enter my serial number. It tells me the serial number is invalid.
  • Legions Triumphant - I had difficulty downloading this setup exe through the browser (failed to download at all), but I used the URL and downloaded it with wget. However, when I run the setup exe, I get a Windows/Wine error saying "failed to read setup engine". I note that others have had a problem with this download, and I suspect the setup file is corrupt. I've tried multiple times (downloading again), but always get the same result. UPDATE -- I just realized that wget was reporting a "login incorrect" error for the FTP user/password embedded in the FTP URL from the download link. That's why the wget file result is invalid. But the basic problem is that the FTP user/password in the download link is not authenticating.
I'm going to create a post in the "supporting original FoG" thread (EDIT - I did, and it's here) to ask if others have experienced the invalid serial number issue when installing ROR and SOA on an actual Windows PC (i.e., not using Wine). Those two expansions seem to be using different installer software than the others that successfully installed. At this point, I'm not sure if it's a Wine issue, or if it's something else, and I don't have an actual Windows PC to test it on.

EDIT (2016/11/21):
I now have Rise of Rome, Storm of Arrows, and Legions Triumphant working. I realized I was making a mistake when running FoG under Wine. I had been running it using the FieldOfGlory.exe, and I should have run it using FOG.exe. Using FOG.exe allowed me to enter my serial numbers on the three preloaded expansions.

====================
FoG(U) 25021042
====================

Installed fine, music seems to work, and it accepted all my serial numbers. (Yay!) However, as noted in this thread, gameplay isn't as satisfying as FoG(RB) because of the bugs in this version. Consequently, I haven't played it much to determine if there are any Wine-related issues.
Last edited by Philotomy on Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

Do you notice any speed reduction in the game because you are not running it in a native Windows environment?
Philotomy
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Philotomy »

Old_Warrior wrote:Do you notice any speed reduction in the game because you are not running it in a native Windows environment?
No, performance seems normal. FWIW, Wine doesn't usually impose significant performance penalties since it doesn't use emulation or a virtual machine; it basically translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls, and those are native.
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

This is nice to know. I would like to build a LINUX box since MS seems to be hellbent on pricing all of us out of the PC market. With Linux you dont have to rebuild/buy a new PC every 5 years.

Return to “Field of Glory Digital”