Game freezing on Windows 10

PC/iPad/Android : Turn based Empire building in the Roman World. Now on iPad and Android!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

augustine476
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Game freezing on Windows 10

Post by augustine476 »

I just installed Legion Gold on a Windows 10 64bit pc, and whenever I try to move armies or combine them, nothing happens and the game stays freezen with the hourglass. I can alt-tab and close the game normally, but nothing within the game will work. This happens every time I try to move any units, and I've tried several different combinations of compatibility settings and running the game as an administrator, none of which change anything. Is there some fix for this?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Re: Game freezing on Windows 10

Post by zakblood »

How to get a DxDiag report file:

1. Click on "START" (on Windows 8 press “Windows key” and the “R” key at the same time)
2. Click "run" (skip this step on Windows 8 )
3. Type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. Check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. Click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments (zip) rather than pasted into the body of the post.

add the exe of the game to your Anti Virus and firewall program, to make sure check the logs of these to see if it was one if any of them was to blame.

That usually means a 3rd party program, like an Internet security programs, is or could be interfering with the game or update installation.

run the game from a admin account and use full admin permissions.

please make sure all game pre requisite are installed with the game, even if you think or fully know there are already installed, it will only over write, and it may be that you have a older or newer version of these where as the game in question may need a certain version.

please make sure you are running the latest game version and have up to date drivers installed on your pc,

If you have the original version. So you'll need to update it from the Internet.
Please note that you'll only need the last update, as the updates are comprehensive. (not needed with steam)
augustine476

Post by augustine476 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I've attached the DxDiag file to this post.

I bought and downloaded the game last weekend from the Matrix games website, and I installed the game on my admin account and have raised it to admin access. I've checked that my drivers are all up to date, and the game doesn't try to install anything else as a prerequisite. Also, my anti-virus has no issues with the game. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, and played with all of the compatibility settings, and I always have the same issue. The game says that it is 1.1.3, and when I tried to download and use the 1.06c patch, it gives me a "legion CD not found" error.
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
(13.71 KiB) Downloaded 439 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

no game related error's seen in the report, but one DRX error

DDRAW.dll

so for me reinstall or repair the pre requisites that come with the game as then retry, thanks

all older games need pre requisites as per my screenshot of mine, as each game likes it's own version, no matter if you are like me and use windows 10 etc
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (178.94 KiB) Viewed 21466 times
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (96.97 KiB) Viewed 21465 times
you still need the ones from the game, if it doesn't install them, go into the folder called redist and manually install all in there from there setups, even if it says you have a later version, the older one is still needed, install all ad admin, same as the game, good luck
augustine476

Post by augustine476 »

I only have these four dll files and one other in the redist folder. I copied them into the main folder, but it didn't change anything. I'm trying to reinstall DirectX manually, since ddraw.dll is a DirectX file, but I can't figure out how to do so on Windows 10. Windows is blocking me every time I try to do that. I have made sure that it is fully updated, but that doesn't seem to help.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (32.4 KiB) Viewed 21465 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

have to tried to uninstall the game and re install it? making sure the folder is totally clean before you do?

and run the installer as admin this time so right click run as admin.

i'm hopping it's not a video memory issue tbh,

Display Memory: 1792 MB
Dedicated Memory: 32 MB
Shared Memory: 1760 MB

nope, shouldn't be a issue tbh if it's compatible

Windows 95/98/ME/2000/XP
Pentium 233 MHz MMX
64 MB RAM
250 MB free hard drive space
2 MB DirectX compatible video card
DirectX compatible sound card
DirectX 8.0 or higher

try this for the DRX fix,

Code: Select all

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=34429
Direct X9.0 c for you to install as game needs it ^^
augustine476

Post by augustine476 »

I did, but I hadn't run the installer as an admin, so I uninstalled, deleted the folder, ran a registry cleaner, then installed with the installer elevated to admin rights. I still have the same issue, unfortunately.

It's odd, since Chariots of War, which I bought and installed at the same time, works fine from the installed game unless I try the 1.2.1 update, and then it gives me an "install crc failure," which looks to be the error in the dxdiag file. I've just been playing that from the 1.15 exe that came with the game and having no issues.
augustine476

Post by augustine476 »

I tried that file before, and I get this error every time
Attachments
Untitled 1.png
Untitled 1.png (5.83 KiB) Viewed 21456 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

augustine476

Post by augustine476 »

I read through that thread before I posted, and the only suggestion there that I haven't tried refers to turning off Nvidia's dsr function, which my Intel driver does not have.

On the other hand, I can rule out the ddraw error being the issue. I installed the game on a different Windows 10 computer and it worked fine, so I copied the ddraw.dll from the system 32 file on that computer into the legion folder on this computer and it still did not work.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i meant the bit on running the game in windows xp compatibility mode tbh
augustine476

Post by augustine476 »

Yeah, I've done that, and compatibility mode for Windows 95/98, and all of the other checkboxes in the compatibility window.
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Where did you source the games? The CoW patch not working makes it sound like they might be (very) old CD copies?

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
augustine476

Post by augustine476 »

Well, I bought them from the Matrix Games website a week and a half ago using their Easter discount code. They were download only copies, and I downloaded them from the links that Matrix emailed me. I would have thought that they were the newest versions, but they might not be.

Nathan
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ah - OK, then it's the other way around (your version includes the patch), so nothing to worry about there.

Cheers

Pip
augustine476

Post by augustine476 »

So, any thoughts on the Legion army freezing issue?
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

It doesn't look like you should be having any issues, if DirectX wasn't working the game would probably fail at the start rather than when doing army stuff. Have you tried reinstalling? Perhaps to a different folder?

Cheers

Pip
augustine476

Post by augustine476 »

Well, I had reinstalled it a couple different times, but I tried installing it to a different drive this time, and it works now. Weird, but I guess that was all it needed. Thanks for your patience, and for all the help.

Nathan
JohnCZ
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by JohnCZ »

After many years I decided to buy one old good game: Legion Gold. Everything was perfect until I gave my soldiers order to leave Rome. They didn't move at all. I repeated it several times, reinstalled the game, but the result was always the same. Obviously I've got the same problem which is described above. Please could anyone help me?
Attachments
DxDiag.zip
(18.52 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18362) (18362.19h1_release.190318-1202)
Language: Czech (Regional Setting: Czech)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
User DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)
System DPI Setting: 120 DPI (125 percent)

Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
Display Memory: 4161 MB
Dedicated Memory: 128 MB low base memory
Shared Memory: 4033 MB
Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: unknown
Monitor Id: CMN15D5
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.008Hz)
Driver Date/Size: 15.08.2018 drivers old

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 940MX
Display Memory: 8099 MB
Dedicated Memory: 4065 MB
Shared Memory: 4033 MB
Driver Date/Size: 20.12.2017 drivers old

Realtek High Definition Audio
Date and Size: 16.10.2018 drivers old

make sure the game uses the card and not the onboard video, update all drivers to the latest version, then the game should work fine

https://www.howtogeek.com/351522/how-to-choose-which-gpu-a-game-uses-on-windows-10/

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/force-app-to-use-dedicated-gpu-windows/

Return to “Legion & Legion Gold”