Anyone Still Playing Legion?

PC/iPad/Android : Turn based Empire building in the Roman World. Now on iPad and Android!

Moderator: Slitherine Core

wargamer28
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Anyone Still Playing Legion?

Post by wargamer28 »

Hello out there. I have just re-installed Legion and I am surprised that I actually enjoy it!!! It must be an age thing. I bought Legion when it first came out but did not like the uncontrollable battles. Now that I am older, I better realize the significance of terrain effects and unit strengths in battle. I realize that this game is not so bad after all once you get to know the battle mechanics and I have always liked the campaign map\city strategy side of the game.

I now have been playing Legion for a few weeks, and I enjoy it so much that I ordered Spartan, Chariots, and Troy. I have a couple questions regarding different gameplay options for these games. I hope these forums are still alive because I couldn't find other support for these games on the web. My Main questions are about Legion because that is the game I am playing atm but some answers may pertain to the other games as well.

1) Now that I am familiar with Legion, I have tried playing some of the smaller nations. One thing that bugs me is that the AI always seems to start with medium sized troops. This forces me to turtle in the game and hide in my cities until I can upgrade my troops to match the enemy. If the AI comes directly at me I need to restart the game. I also think that the AI is hurt by these sizes because it can't afford to keep the amount of medium sized troops in the field that it normally does. Anyway, Is there a way for all factions to either start with the same resources or the the same small armies? What files would I need to mod to make this work?

2) Where can I find more information on population growth and the modifiers that buildings like shrines, guilds, etc give to production? For population growth, I mainly want to know how do free workers speed up the process and when it may be better to free more workers or build up stockpiles. For production modifiers, I generally wanted to know what percent bonus some of these buildings give to production. This will help me determine if the population and production bonus giving buildings are worth building or not.

3) What determines the type of mercenaries I get when I build a bordello? I suppose this may depend on the faction I am playing and the region I build the bordello in. I have not experimented very much with both the bordellos and the bonus giving buildings in the game. What files would I need to look in to find out more about these buildings?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Legion is pretty old now so probably not that much info available any more & the community is pretty quiet! Spartan & Troy are much more recent and have more developed engines so definitely worth playing them as they have pretty much everythgin Legion has & more. The AI is also a lot better in the later games.

I think the only place to see full details on all the struictures is by looking in the data files. data\Buildings.txt defines all the attributes for city buildings.
wargamer28

Post by wargamer28 »

Ok, Thanks.

I was actually just looking through Legions game files after I posted this. I found all the building bonus numbers I need. I might try to change the AI multiplier percentage to see if that helps. Its currently at 350% of the players starting resources!!! The rest I will just have to find out in game. I will probably be back to these boards once I start playing the new games.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The AI works in a very different way to the player. It never spends all its resources. If you change those values down you may find it just stops doing anything.

If you want a slower start you could try that but increase the rate the AI produces rescources in the tweaks.txt file. Its set per difficulty level. Actually it maybe teh % of full cost the AI pays for things, but either way changing tehvalues will change teh way it plays.

The AI does not get medium squads from the start as far as I remember - they must be upgrading to get them.
anguille
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by anguille »

I am playing a gallic war campaign right now...Legion is an excellent game. Still, Spartan/Got is the better one (a classic) but as Legion and Chariots of War cover other parts of history they make a great bundle.

Enjoy one of the best TBS series (unfortunately without any new sequel in sight).
wargamer28

Post by wargamer28 »

I spent all last week heavily modding Legion. I tried a number of different things to help the AI and to help balance the game. In my testing I found that pop-growth is the thing that limits AI expansion the most. When the AI does build armies, the upkeep costs really hurt it. The third thing is that the AI will then run out of a key resource which is needed for construction of buildings.

To combat these things I raised pop growth for cities and raised recruitment costs for armies while lowering their upkeep. This helped a lot, but the AI was still running out of resources, and it limited the choice of armies it could build depending on the resources of a city. To help the AI keep from running out of resources, I added to the upkeep bonuses of village, town, and city halls and also to the upkeep bonuses for markets.

In Legion, I think the AI was really hampered by the building requirements that some troops needed. The resource and pop changes I made helped it a lot, but it still didn't know how to specialize troop production. After the changes, it built mixed squads of mixed sizes, and troop type was still dependent on the major resources it produced. At first I allowed all troop buildings to be built no matter what the city produced. This way you could save up resources from your markets and city halls to buy a certain troop type. This worked well, but I was still unsatisfied.

In the end, after trying many different things, I finally removed the building requirements that all troops needed so they could be recruited anywhere. I added to storage capacity, and set the AI priority for buildings like markets forts and barracks to 100 so that it will field large squads. I also set each cities resources to 50 food, 100 iron, and 100 wood. The game is now very balanced with no certain faction having any specific advantages and the player remains challenged all the way to the end of the game.

If anyone reading this thread in the next couple months is interested in these changes for Legion, I could add a download link if this forum allows it.

These changes would be for basic Legion, not Legion Gold. I dont know if it will work for Legion Gold as the files may be different. I also wanted to ask if the skins for Legion Gold will work for basic Legion?
anguille

Post by anguille »

Just have to say i am having a blast playing Legion Gold on my netbook...it's just perfect (also because battles are only planned). It's great for travels. I just wished i could do the same with both sequels.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Glad you are enjoying it - the min resolution on the next game is 1024x768 so can be an isue for netbooks but it was developed long before they existed!
anguille

Post by anguille »

iainmcneil wrote:Glad you are enjoying it - the min resolution on the next game is 1024x768 so can be an isue for netbooks but it was developed long before they existed!
Yes, i didn't manage to make them work. But there's plenty to play with Legion Gold (and all your newer games btw who do support the small resolution). I love the concept since i bought Spartan & Got in 2004 and am still hoping that you announce something new.

Cheers

PS: i am expecting my second child in a couple of weeks...(guess i'll be hanging around with my netbook at the hospital ;) )
dithyrambos
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re:

Post by dithyrambos »

anguille wrote:Yes, i didn't manage to make them work. But there's plenty to play with Legion Gold (and all your newer games btw who do support the small resolution). I love the concept since i bought Spartan & Got in 2004 and am still hoping that you announce something new.

Cheers

PS: i am expecting my second child in a couple of weeks...(guess i'll be hanging around with my netbook at the hospital ;) )
I agree that my favourite Slitherine games were the classic ones such as Legion, CoW, and Spartan/GoT. I would absolutely love another game in this series (Legion II, anyone? :wink: )!

And congrats, Anguille! That is very exciting news indeed! :D
"Now Dithyrambos, the Thespian captain... by trade an architect and by no means a professional soldier, had already distinguished himself with such magnificent courage throughout the day..." From Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire
anguille

Re: Anyone Still Playing Legion?

Post by anguille »

Thanks....i am a dad for a second time since yesterday!
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Congratulations! No time for gaming anymore!
anguille

Post by anguille »

iainmcneil wrote:Congratulations! No time for gaming anymore!
Thanks all,

Not much time left as soon as my wife gets back from hospital. But i travel a lot for work and have a netbook (Legion, Battlefield Acedemy and Fields of Glory, among many, are installed on it)...i need this to relax evenings (my job can be very stressful). Again, thank you for making these games work on a netbook! :wink:

Cheers
peterpalacios79

Post by peterpalacios79 »

I just bought thee game on Android. It's still awesome!
AlbertoC
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by AlbertoC »

Glad you are enjoying it :)
Neary

Post by Neary »

I am still playing it. I have old version from poor resolution but it is OK because graphic is specific. I bought it in 2005. Yes! The CD is 13 y/o and still nearly no scratches just because I did not borrow it to no one. Remember when CDs and DVDs were made from high quality materials? Peperi (...) :P

I have windows 10 and windows 7. Both are able to run the game without a problem, except when I switch tabs. Then colours and game size become unplayable but it is not a big problem. When Windows 98 were made "alt+tabbing" wasn't a thing so I can forgive this fantastic game such a bug :)
Yaakov001
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Yaakov001 »

How does one MOD Legion Gold? I have the disc version of the Game. It requires that the disc actually be in the disc drive in order to play the game. I also have Legion Arena (NOT the Gold version), and it too requires a disc. So how would one proceed to mod either game? Right now I am playing Legion Gold. I am expecting to have to go to war shortly.

Return to “Legion & Legion Gold”