AAR: Supermax VS Vokt (No Vokt pls) Version 4.0

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: AAR: Supermax VS Vokt (No Vokt pls) Version 4.0

Post by supermax »

Carlos_Danger
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Post by Carlos_Danger »

The Russians needlessly lost Moscow (summer 42) and Archangel (summer 43), both very important places!

And soon to needlessly lose Leningrad, by giving their Guard Corp unit a suicide mission?

The German Air force in the West for the Summer of 43 will prevent the Allies from getting anywhere.

But, with the German Air force in the West for the Summer of 43 the Russians should be attacking like crazy this summer, not sure if the Russians are attacking?

Germans look solid in this game.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Luftwaffe has Me262 in 1943 ! Allies is hopeless to win :D
supermax

Post by supermax »

Morris wrote:Luftwaffe has Me262 in 1943 ! Allies is hopeless to win :D
The brritish also have the Comets! :(
supermax

Post by supermax »

supermax

Post by supermax »

Carlos_Danger wrote:The Russians needlessly lost Moscow (summer 42) and Archangel (summer 43), both very important places!

And soon to needlessly lose Leningrad, by giving their Guard Corp unit a suicide mission?

The German Air force in the West for the Summer of 43 will prevent the Allies from getting anywhere.

But, with the German Air force in the West for the Summer of 43 the Russians should be attacking like crazy this summer, not sure if the Russians are attacking?

Germans look solid in this game.

Yes i am worried about the Russians. I will simply hold stiffly to all hexes of ground and replace time for troops. Once i fend off the British landings, i can trasfert more fighters to the east and stop the soviets. In the west i also have to attack their bomber STRAT. They are really hurting my revenue every turn (at least 30pp).
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

I think seeing the Axis getting jet fighters in the Summer of 1943 will really cripple the Allies. However, I think the biggest reason the Allies struggle is how Russia was defended. Too strong in the south meant Moscow was lost and the north front collapsed. If that hadn't happened then the fight could have been more even.

Kudos to Supermax for making a strategy that caught Vokt off guard. People reading this AAR should NOT make the conclusion that the Axis are too strong. The Axis situation is more to Supermax' skills than any balance issues. We've had quite a few other games where the Axis struggle to get far. E. g. I had a game vs Happycat as the Allies where I stopped the Germans at the Dnepr in 1941 and he had to withdraw back to southern Dvina before the winter offensive. He didn't capture any hexes at all north of Leningrad. Partly because I got a guards unit in Vyborg which absorbed lots of damage. A +1 defense leader in the hex was a very good investment.

When this game is over I hope for a rematch with Supermax as the Allies. :D
Cybvep

Post by Cybvep »

It's not over yet. Currently there are almost no FTRs in the East, that gives the Soviets a chance. Also, Supermax seems determined not to give any ground, which means that he needs to be prepared for high PP losses in the coming turns. Besides the fact that Supermax controls Moscow and Archangel, the situation on the Eastern Front is not that uncommon for 1943 in CEAW. However, the Allies are really struggling in the Med.
Last edited by Cybvep on Sun Nov 13, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supermax

Post by supermax »

supermax

Post by supermax »

Cybvep wrote:It's not over yet. Currently there are almost no FTRs in the East, that gives the Soviets a chance. Also, Supermax seems determined not to give any ground, which means that he needs to be prepared for high PP losses in the coming turns. Besides the fact that Supermax controls Moscow, the situation on the Eastern Front is not that uncommon for 1943 in CEAW. However, the Allies are really struggling in the Med.

most definitly my friend. But if i retreat in the east, it will also be bloody.

I prefer giving ground in 1944, where i can get the sovoeit to waste their whole summer offensive on trying to catch the axis in Russia. Hooo it will be bloody, but i am still in the sixties for manpower with the germans, i can manage. We'll just produce more troops eventually, and as you can see i still pack some punch and can counter-attack against the Russians. When strategically and tactically it make sense, i will give ground (like you see in the south) to preserve my frontline.
supermax

Post by supermax »

Stauffenberg wrote:I think seeing the Axis getting jet fighters in the Summer of 1943 will really cripple the Allies. However, I think the biggest reason the Allies struggle is how Russia was defended. Too strong in the south meant Moscow was lost and the north front collapsed. If that hadn't happened then the fight could have been more even.

Kudos to Supermax for making a strategy that caught Vokt off guard. People reading this AAR should NOT make the conclusion that the Axis are too strong. The Axis situation is more to Supermax' skills than any balance issues. We've had quite a few other games where the Axis struggle to get far. E. g. I had a game vs Happycat as the Allies where I stopped the Germans at the Dnepr in 1941 and he had to withdraw back to southern Dvina before the winter offensive. He didn't capture any hexes at all north of Leningrad. Partly because I got a guards unit in Vyborg which absorbed lots of damage. A +1 defense leader in the hex was a very good investment.

When this game is over I hope for a rematch with Supermax as the Allies. :D

It would be fun to play against you. You want me to play as the allies? Ok.. :)
supermax

Post by supermax »

supermax

Post by supermax »

Cybvep wrote:It's not over yet. Currently there are almost no FTRs in the East, that gives the Soviets a chance. Also, Supermax seems determined not to give any ground, which means that he needs to be prepared for high PP losses in the coming turns. Besides the fact that Supermax controls Moscow and Archangel, the situation on the Eastern Front is not that uncommon for 1943 in CEAW. However, the Allies are really struggling in the Med.
Also consider the fact that if i learnt anything playing defense with the germans, it is not possible by 43 to fight off opponents by evenly distributing your forces around. You have to choose 1 front and be decisive about it. I elected the western offensive to be the biggest danger for the axis and as such i concentrated all my airforce there to fend off the allies. In my opinion they may have gone too deep to hard one year too early. Didnt work, and most their PP was spend in producing troops and repairing their airforce.

Yes, the situation in Russia is not ideal, but the ground gained and the possession of moscow warranted that i could not give in, even a little. The give no ground strategy, as you may know, is necessary iof we want to hold on to Moscow as long as possible. It is, after all, directly on the frontline in this game...

And conclusion is that: I am still holding my own in Russia by fall weather, Italy is safe, and the allied landings have failed. We can now consolidate in the west over the mud/winter months and start to give ground in Russia (during severe winter).

1944 will be interesting by the fact that ive got good defense in Italy/France and a full army /double-line of defense across the whole russian front. GS is only a timer, after all. In the Vanilla game it could go on forever, but the germans in GS do win if they hold on to at least 1 capitol at the end of the game :)
supermax

Post by supermax »

duncanr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by duncanr »

I find it very suspicious that we haven't seen any allied TAC's
duncanr

Post by duncanr »

US & UK
supermax

Post by supermax »

duncanr wrote:US & UK

Well, seems like Vokt has elected to produce a LOT of STRAT, if you look there i think he has like 10 or 12 of them minimum!

The bombing campaign was enought o bring my revenue below 100 pp a turn. Good reason for me to tackle his airforce with mine!
duncanr

Post by duncanr »

yes indeed, I do wonder if you might run a little short of fuel though
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

This tactic was tried before in a AAR which very little TAC's were purchased.

link- http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 78&t=65181

(Edited) I believe that the Allied player should have a more balanced approach with TAC's and SAC's to help achieve victory.( plus land units)

If the Allied player had 6 to 7 SAC total along with 8 or more TAC the invasions tried would probably fare better with the TAC than only SAC units.

I am surprised about the level 6 FTRs in the game in 43'. I thought we had corrected that from version 3.1 .
Last edited by pk867 on Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
supermax

Post by supermax »

pk867 wrote:This tactic was tried before in a AAR which very little TAC's were purchased.

link- http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 78&t=65181

You need a more balanced approach with TAC's and SAC's to help achieve victory.( plus land units)

If he had 6 to 7 SAC total along with 8 or more TAC the invasions would fare better.

I am surprised about the full level FTRs in the game by 43' though.
What do you mean by fuel level? You find it low?

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”