Ronnie vs Allied Player

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Re: Ronnie vs Allied Player (Allied Player Please Stay Out)

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

I think you can push in the east even through winter. At least in the middle where there are no Russian units left. The losses they have sustained seem like almost all their production for 1943. So they can't be much stronger now than 1 year ago.

It's strange to see that you can get an ultimate Axis victory even with major Allied bias.
duncanr
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by duncanr »

Russia is toast, would be focusing on taking PP's of them and killing as many steps as possible, their PP income will be very very low
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

The guy still has Moscow at this point :shock: hard to say he's toast in game terms perhaps...he could have a secret Russian Task Force?
duncanr

Post by duncanr »

well its very very secret!

IMHO Russia is past the tipping point - thats a reall y ugly place, PP incomewill be next to nothing and expendature is high, I would say the only thing in Russia;s favour is that the axis is short of oil!
rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 76. 10/10/1943 Axis.

The Western Front - Spain.

I expected poor weather in the East in October; but poor weather (mud/rain) hit also in the west. Though, a significant portion of Spain is in the all time fair weather Med zone.

1. The axis launched a few small scale counterattacks. The first was a German tank corps against a UK tank corps. The expected odds were 5:1. I got 5:3! Ouch! So go the fortunes of war.

2. The result of a second counterattack, which was against a US tank corps, took the sting out of the first attack. 8 steps were killed without any losses. So go the fortunes of war. :D

3. Just south and north of Madrid two more counterattacks were made. These were attrition attacks design to whittle away at the allies units and blunt their offensive potential. Results of both attacks were expected.

4-5. 2 Luftwaffe TACs and 1 strat were reinforced and will be rebased next turn to a year around fair weather zone. 3 Luftwaffe fighters in route will join up with the bombers at this base.

By the way, a Spanish partisan popped up at the end of the turn next to the number 3. It's nice to be on the receiving end of partisans for a change. I probably couldn't have selected a better place for this partisan to appear.

The Eastern Front.

6-7. I have a couple of decisions in the East to make and I need to make them by next turn. Do I rest and refit for the winter? And if not, do I push to pocket the forces in and around Moscow or do I push directly east towards the 2nd Baku oil fields and Omsk? The advantage of pushing East towards Omsk is that I believe my opponent will have to use his few reinforcements to defend the threaten cities. These forces would then be spread out and not an offensive threat. However; I worried about oil and not having any concentration of forces myself. Now, if I can get and keep Moscow, along with the other major capitals I currently hold I will achieve an ultimate victory. Moscow would definitely be a tough nut to crack; but if I did I would also kill off a significant part of the remaining Soviet army.

8. (Map insert). In the south, Army Group South dug in on the west bank of the Volga is facing a Soviet Front that's dug in on the east bank. My expectation is that this sector will remain fairly static. And, I have no plans to try to push across the Volga.

(Not Shown). Soviet force estimates are: 2 armor, 5 mech corps, 6 fighter, 4 TAC and 2 strat air units.

Resources.

9. Oil levels are definitely something I need to keep an eye on and are (again) becoming a constraining factor.

10. Manpower is also becoming a concern. German manpower is at 53% (569) and Italian is at 51 % (183).

In the last 3 turns all German PP's have gone to repairs and upgrades. I haven't built any new units. With manpower dipping near 50% this may be the best strategy. Though, I could do with more leaders.

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Turn 77. 10/30/1943 Axis.

The weather clear across the map from the Atlantic to the Urals. The axis exploit this to maximum advantage.

The Western Front - Spain.

1. Devers and his mech corps are knocked out.

2. North of Madrid, a UK corps is destroyed and an America Mech is pocketed.

3. South of Madrid, the axis make and push and link up with the Spanish partisan. The object over the next turn or two is for the forces in 2 and 3 to pocket the allied forces in between.\

4. These attacks have deleted the allied units and threaten to knock out their commanders.

The Med.

5. Looks like the allies are positioning for an invasion of North Africa.

The Eastern Front.

6-10. 7 Soviet infantry and 2 armor corps were destroyed this turn. Also, three Soviet commanders were sent packing. Vatutin (6-1-0), Tolbukhin (6-0-1) and Rokossovsky (6-1-0), which while temporary represents 175 PP's.

Resources

The weather clearing and my opponent attacks last turn presented me with opportunities from West to East I couldn't pass on. However; in addition to my own losses, it came at the price of using 75% of my oil stockpile. Oil went from 200 at the start of the turn to 47 at the end. The axis do get 61 per turn; but I most definitely need to throttle back.

By the way, it looks like my decision on what to do in the East was made. Do both! Push east and try to encircle the forces near Moscow.

I did manage to build 3 badly needed German infantry corps this turn without dropping German manpower below 50%.

rkr1958

Re: Ronnie vs Allied Player

Post by rkr1958 »

Game Over.
Allied Player wrote:I am surrendering.

Good game.
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

A little early for him to throw in the towel. Before he learned more about the game mechanics. You must have taught him a great deal during your game. Thanks for the deep AAR.
JyriErik
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by JyriErik »

One very important question still needs answering. What exactly happened to the Russian Army??

Jyri
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

JyriErik wrote:One very important question still needs answering. What exactly happened to the Russian Army??

Jyri
The casualty and force numbers are at the start of the (last) turn before I knocked out 2 Soviet armor and 7 infantry corps, 1 UK armor and 1 mech corps and 1 USA armor corps. So you need to factor those losses into the figures in both tables.

BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

It does seem as though the Russians are a little light on the Numbers. I have lost more steps on no advantage but with no Convoys and destroyed units, instead of merely depleted steps(which is what might be throwing the image off) alone the death toll is not actually a perfect mirror on what happened on the ground.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

BattlevonWar wrote:It does seem as though the Russians are a little light on the Numbers. I have lost more steps on no advantage but with no Convoys and destroyed units, instead of merely depleted steps(which is what might be throwing the image off) alone the death toll is not actually a perfect mirror on what happened on the ground.
The equivalent economic loss to the Soviets for the above losses, which don't include the impact of (temporary) losses of leaders, is 5900 PP's. The game was called on turn 77, which was 43 turns after the launch of Barbarossa, which was on turn 34. 5900 PP's lost over 43 turns translates to 137 PP's lost per turn. Or, the cost per turn to replace Soviet losses. I think this explains what happened to the Red Army.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”