Battle vs Morris

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Battle vs Morris

Post by BattlevonWar »

I begun as Axis:

1939:

2nd Turn Poland and Denmark, skipping Norway altogether. I however stationed a DD off the coast of Denmark either to prepare for a possible Norway '39 and or move to raid(this was my first error) followed by some not so decisive actions. Stationing couple of air units in the North of Denmark in range of Royal Navy Carrier without Fighter cover. Regardless both sides took a beating but I feel as the RN retreats back to England they take less of the damage. Along with Air Replacements and leaving my Western Flank Vulnerable early. German DD sunk, damaged RN and damaged Luftwaffe...

Dyle Plane:

I did invade Holland early but because my Air/Bulk of Ground Units were other places I feel that Morris saw this opportunity to perform a Dyle plane upon me. Not much I could do at this point but attempt to take positions in both Liege and Antwerp. Armor and Mechs trying to move up along with air to push back his lines as much as possible before they dig in. So far Holland holding out and a few forward Allied Garrisons hurt, one killed.

Thoughts:

So far as I can tell Morris is a highly aggressive player, taking advantage of just about anything he can even with risks involved. Perhaps sensing weakness and strength with an intuitive sort of character. I really should have anticipated and be more aggressive myself where I needed to be so far to keep my edge. We shall see how deadly this 3.0 Dyle Plane is and how my inexperience that is quickly gaining can perhaps be turned to make a game of it. Screenshots coming soon.
OxfordGuy3
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Re: Battle vs Morris

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Looking forward to reading this one (and seeing the screenshots!)!
richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd »

Morris is an exponent of 'throw the brits away' to damage the Axis and then steam roller with the Russians.

You are now in for a war of attrition in the air!

He doesn't need to be aggresive now, you have to take Paris. He will just make it very difficult.

Good luck!
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

Morris is certainly effectively using the BEF unlike a lot of players to do damage to the PPs of the Germans.(particularly with air and navy and keeping the morale high for the French/British) This is where it would help if the game had some historical accuracy like this, Belgian Army forces sabotage roads, rail and communication/bridges halting Allied effectiveness by 15% for 5-6 turns within Belgian territory due to Allied Occupation. This is highly accurate : ) Not to totally negate his tactic but to blunt the Spear? That or forces me to Blitz Low Countries early which is what we did in Strategic Command virtually every game......

1940 approaches:

Germans pounding Allies with air, losing Air dogfights but gaining some of the Ardennes in Freezing temperatures(3 German Tanks at the spearhead)
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by Peter Stauffenberg »

In GS v3.01 the 1939 Allied OOB is different so it's harder to do a Dyle. So you will rarely see Dyle's in GS v3.01.

Maybe you should try GS v3.01 instead? The XP change alone should give the Axis some better chances. Russian reduced rail cap after Barbarossa for 8 turns should help too.

You could get the GS v3.01 files and try out? I think Morris already has those files.
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

Stauffenberg,

Sounds like a good improvement. I enjoy a little flexibility so long as there is a fair chance on both sides and will play this out. There is so much to be learned from each player
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Stauffenberg wrote:In GS v3.01 the 1939 Allied OOB is different so it's harder to do a Dyle. So you will rarely see Dyle's in GS v3.01.

Maybe you should try GS v3.01 instead? The XP change alone should give the Axis some better chances. Russian reduced rail cap after Barbarossa for 8 turns should help too.

You could get the GS v3.01 files and try out? I think Morris already has those files.
Yes,maybe you are right. But I just want to test if the Dyle plan still be a choice for allies player . This Dyle is different from the original edition, it starts in turn 4 not turn 1 or turn 2.actually most players only have 3.0 version.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

A turn 4 Dyle can more easily be responded to by the Axis since Poland is already conquered. That option should still be possible. Some Axis players do a 1939 blitzkrieg against Belgium and Holland. Then there will be no time for Dyle.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Stauffenberg wrote:A turn 4 Dyle can more easily be responded to by the Axis since Poland is already conquered. That option should still be possible. Some Axis players do a 1939 blitzkrieg against Belgium and Holland. Then there will be no time for Dyle.
Yes,Borger. If axis player launch a bliz in 1939 ,Belgium will be the first ,then no Dyle possibility.but if they choose sits,then it will be an opportunity for Dyle.
Peter Stauffenberg
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

As it should be. Dyle has some long term disadvantages so the Allied player will have to assess the benefits vs the disadvantage. If the Axis player has the right units near the Belgian border then he should be able to grab Antwerp and Liege on the turn after the Belgian surrender. That will make the Allied benefit from a Dyle much less. Brussels will then fall soon in the Spring of 1940 when the weather turns to clear.

The main problem with a turn 1 or turn 2 Dyle was that the Germans had their fast units in Poland so they couldn't reach Antwerp and Liege. Instead the Allied player railed units there the turn after Brussels fell.
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

Stauffenberg wrote:As it should be. Dyle has some long term disadvantages so the Allied player will have to assess the benefits vs the disadvantage. If the Axis player has the right units near the Belgian border then he should be able to grab Antwerp and Liege on the turn after the Belgian surrender. That will make the Allied benefit from a Dyle much less. Brussels will then fall soon in the Spring of 1940 when the weather turns to clear.

The main problem with a turn 1 or turn 2 Dyle was that the Germans had their fast units in Poland so they couldn't reach Antwerp and Liege. Instead the Allied player railed units there the turn after Brussels fell.
Actually ,the key reason to launch Dyle plan in turn 4 is Axis probably has no fair turn to launch effective offense. Usually it only have 25% possibility of fair weather in turn 5& must be bad weather in turn 6,7,8...
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

1940:

RAF/French Air Force and Luftwaffe do battle over Belgium for control over the tiny vassal. The goal uncertain... The BEF and Bomber Command arrives on the Continent to Scout and threaten German Ground troops. Meanwhile the Italians begin to see opportunity and are expected to arrive sooner than later with the strong Panzer and mechanized forces pushing through a small gap in between the Maginot and Brussels now...French Forces abandon the Maginot piecemeal in an attempt to protect the threatened Parisien Capitol.

Thoughts: There isn't much the Allies can do to keep France but it is most assured this will be no Poland... What I would not give for 2 extra fighter units right now! : ) Also RN Carriers are deadly in this game : ) I thought they had Biplanes at this point in history :P

After Fall of France I will post Screenies
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

Allied Offensive:

Combined Allied Air Power and French/BEF units kill a Panzer and nearly kill a Mechanized Unit. Total chaos in the Axis lines trying to reform to regain the initiative! The only thing we can do in answer is kill a Mechanized British Unit and French Army Corp.

Thoughts: Allies are merely trading units. Axis Fighter/Bomber Losses approach 50, Allies under 25. Plus very high effectiveness for Allied Units, in places close to 80
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

Summer of 1940: Axis Forces Approach Paris and Italians Join up destroying most of the French Navy but in return send out crazy amounts of Transports for some unknown reason? Hmm sounds very Il Duce(hey at least it wasn't the Greek Army that defeated them :P ) meanwhile Axis U-boats fight it out in the Atlantic taking some pain here or there as RN is well armed protecting their transports.

Seems some limitations to the game here despite the historical aspect. It would seem rather difficult to perform a Sea Lion if I'm not wrong? Not to say it would have been very likely. Though there doesn't seem to be any real benefit for one and also the usual threat(at least that much) is sort of gone altogether so there is ny reason to bother. The whole of 1940 is prep for Barbarossa which by far more engrossing and entertaining than SeeLowe but HEY where is the FUN? : ) Shouldn't there be some sort of special condition like complete destruction of the Royal Air Force or no presence prompts for vulnerability as well as the complete absence of the RN? There doesn't seem to be a need in other words to keep the RN or Royal Air Force in the UK at all. Plus this makes Egypt impossible... I would like to see at least British Citizens feel abandoned by their Royal Forces on the their tiny Island and suffer a production and morale issues(I know my GrandMa would have peed her pants at the thought of being left to fend for herself and she thought they could have come, hid in backstreets while stukas or 109s were strafing the streets)
Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep »

How experienced are you? Morris is an elite player and I have a feeling that you don't know the game well enough in order to have a real chance of beating him. I may be wrong, though.
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

Cybvep, I am highly inexperienced. I have only played this game 5 times so far. I have played Great War about 20 times although and am probably until the historical patch the top CP player in that game. I am definitely Intermediate, I think I will win both of my 3rd and 4th games as both Axis and Allied after 3 weeks after purchase. I think I also did as well as the most elite Axis player in this game would have done taking France, maybe not at the rest! Too many Air Casualties! Inexperience with the naval aspect(I am learning the nuances of the game fast) As I will take France probably before Fall, I have never seen that done so far in an AAR(not that Morris is fighting to the bitter end either or did I let Morris have Liege Antwerp either) so it's probably apples and oranges for the actual French Campaign between me and you or anyone else.

P.S. Wow you have to be very cautious in this game with oil(as Axis)/PPs and there is very little luck..besides the weather
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

for the Axis the game is really about managing your 'economy' - PP's, Oil (which means Rail as well) and Manpower, you have to be careful with all of them.

whilst its fun to build a highly mechanised blitzkreig machine and go for all out ofensive fun, you will run out of resouces and lose :-)
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

The Entire German Army split in two, one picked away at Brussels and headed through the other swung South over Lorraine and attempted to Flank the French Forces. The BEF was just there more for shadowing with one major engagement before retreating from the Continent. There was never a total commitment on their behalf but as for Air Power along with RN carrier and 2 British Fighters and 1 French Fighter had I known I would have built more fighters and less Tacs...really was outgunned the whole time and the Fall of France is delayed. September October Range

To Sum it up: If a Dyle is performed boy get some Fighters! You will need them! Now if I could just perform a Sea Lion I probably would bypass Paris and just go for it.(If it was possible and worthwhile) and I had command of the Skies which I don't.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”