Battle vs Morris

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: Battle vs Morris

Post by BattlevonWar »

These are the casualties thus far, highlighting the superior use of air power by Morris:

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd »

did you buy the third FTR after your first round of Labs?
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

Could never afford it, I got in a bad naval war with Morris over his PP shipments, took down a few and then he let go some hurt on my U-Boats. I also targeted his surface ships which made it impossible for me to buy any more fighters without sacrificing labs. If I had gotten lucky I would have hit his Canadian Fighter being transported across the pond but I actually hit his Mechanized Transport instead and the Royal Navy/French Navy took revenge! He had a 4 to 2 advantage in fighters till the Italians joined and with RN Carrier, 5 to 3 toward the end
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

BattlevonWar wrote:Could never afford it, I got in a bad naval war with Morris over his PP shipments, took down a few and then he let go some hurt on my U-Boats. I also targeted his surface ships which made it impossible for me to buy any more fighters without sacrificing labs. If I had gotten lucky I would have hit his Canadian Fighter being transported across the pond but I actually hit his Mechanized Transport instead and the Royal Navy/French Navy took revenge! He had a 4 to 2 advantage in fighters till the Italians joined and with RN Carrier, 5 to 3 toward the end
oh - lesson hard learn't.

certainly I always buy the extra FTR and TAC for France, can't think of a time I haven't

then again Dyle can be very annoying if you aren't ready for it
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

Indeed, fighter power is a lot more important than one might originally assume. I will never not blitz another Commander Europe At War game, after this. There is no point is taking the risk of facing another Dyle, it's just too expensive for the Axis to face if they realistically want to win.

1941:
Also in this game I chose not to create Vichy, although trying to take North Africa is very hard along with the rest of France. Morris is fighting a Naval War with me...From France to North Africa...Western Europe is ablaze with Navy/Air and British German Italian Fighting for control.

P.S. Perhaps a bit futile...As Sicily is being invaded to delay my operations into Africa and Axis Forces were weakened previous to my attempt by the French Navy I sunk in order to pave the way
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

Morris is just ensuring the Axis is as weak as possible so he can roll them with the Ruskies
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

richardsd wrote:Morris is just ensuring the Axis is as weak as possible so he can roll them with the Ruskies
Hi Dear Duncan : it is only 1940 . Axis is very strong & UK is very weak . British just want to do sth for Allies great victory in the future ! :)
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

Morris wrote:
richardsd wrote:Morris is just ensuring the Axis is as weak as possible so he can roll them with the Ruskies
Hi Dear Duncan : it is only 1940 . Axis is very strong & UK is very weak . British just want to do sth for Allies great victory in the future ! :)
Yes, exactly what I said :D
OxfordGuy3
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

BattlevonWar wrote:Indeed, fighter power is a lot more important than one might originally assume.
Yes, without air superioty (or least parity), you won't be able to fully use your tactical bombers (or get slaughtered trying). Without your TACs, you won't be able to advance very quickly and will take excessive casualties when attacking
BattlevonWar wrote: I will never not blitz another Commander Europe At War game, after this. There is no point is taking the risk of facing another Dyle, it's just too expensive for the Axis to face if they realistically want to win.
Never say never, if you play the same strategy every time, your opponents will likley exploit it. Having said that, I'd have to think twice before invading Norway again in 1939 :roll:
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

A weak British mean a later D-Day or fall of Italy for sure it's a trade-off. I can see it has a lot of pros and cons and I personally like Morris bleeding the Axis early. This makes Barbarossa the major early land campaign blunted.
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

BattlevonWar wrote:A weak British mean a later D-Day or fall of Italy for sure it's a trade-off. I can see it has a lot of pros and cons and I personally like Morris bleeding the Axis early. This makes Barbarossa the major early land campaign blunted.
yep, you will find it hard to develop a strong barbarossa and I woould suggest you are well dug in before winter
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

Summize:

1941 was painful. I was finding myself stuck in the mud as I attempted to uproot Morris from Holland and Southern France and he was moving in on Libya as I slowly operated down there. He was good at anticipating my next move. I should have forced France to surrender against such a good player. I did not know that Vichy and the Med was defensible but apparently it was against such an adept player. I thought I might try a late Barbarossa with taking out Spain/Portugal and Vichy together. It backfired costing a bunch of units I would need for a Barbarossa and no goal was going to be achieved in the Winter and probably too late to build up to defend against the Russians in '42...So I had to surrender, face the obvious I was outplayed on an epic scale. I enjoyed this though, good competition and I asked for a rematch and was granted. Lot to learn still and I appreciate all the advice given...taking notes... Screenies shortly
BattlevonWar
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by BattlevonWar »

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”