Fun Playing Against the AI with GSv3.00

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger

Re: Fun Playing Against the AI with GSv3.00

Post by rkr1958 »

richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd »

I find its more fun to let them land and use up their invasion allocation, uses less fuel too
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

I find its more fun to let them land and use up their invasion allocation, uses less fuel too
I take it as a challenge to blast them out of the water and not let any ashore. Well, I've already let one unit at 3-steps land.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

move forward your para , maybe you have opportunity to take Omsk by a para jump ! :D
Morris
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by Morris »

& it is seems tme to build your navy to Invade UK & USA !
Falcon1
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Falcon1 »

Earlier in this thread I saw this:

"I know that the AI cheats by effectively having an infinite amount of PP’s, manpower and oil."

Can someone please explain this to a noob like me?
BuddyGrant
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by BuddyGrant »

Falcon1 wrote:Earlier in this thread I saw this:
"I know that the AI cheats by effectively having an infinite amount of PP’s, manpower and oil."
I don't think that is accurate, but I've only manually checked PP's: The AI definitely will run out of PP's. I imagine the AI would also run out of manpower and oil, and that can be checked with some effort.
pk867
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by pk867 »

That may change with larger advantages to the AI.
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

from experience and feel, no analysis - The AI definitely cheats a little on even advantage, but cheats more as you give it more advantage
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

I don't think that is accurate, but I've only manually checked PP's: The AI definitely will run out of PP's. I imagine the AI would also run out of manpower and oil, and that can be checked with some effort.
It could be all perception (to me); but if you'd like to find out for yourself (one way or the other), I'd suggest playing a game (as the allies) against the AI with fow off.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Well that ends my game against the AI. Thank you for following it and please feel free to comment freely on any aspect of it. I reconfirmed that the AI is a lousy tactician. It's more than lousy; it's terrible. But; that's not to say that I didn't learn things, I did!, and that it wasn't fun, it was! I saw things I normally don't see in my games, such as Turkey activating as an axis ally. I also discovered the benefits of building German garrisons, for garrisoning / second line duties. In the past as the axis player I've used the Italians and axis minors to perform this duty. By building and using German garrisons for these duties; then I could build quality Italian units (e.g., armor and mech corps) and free up axis minor corps for frontline duty in the quite sectors in the east. A major benefit was less manpower used for both the Germans and Italians. If you look at my end game manpower levels; both the Germans and Italians were in the mid-60's%, which I think is very good for what I accomplished and the forces I built.

I also saw this game against the AI as a great strategic planning tool for the strategy I employed. Specifically, what forces and labs to build, when to build what, how best to transfer / buildup for various operations (e.g., Case Yellow, Operations Marita (Greece) and Castigo (Yugoslavia)), how to pivot from one operation to another as timely as possible (the axis timeline for world domination is a short one!), how to manage several fronts (operations) at once and how to focus in a given operation on the objectives and not get sidetracked.

I also learned what is and what isn't, possible for me. What I accomplished against the AI is a fantasy to think I could accomplish against a human opponent. I'm not saying someone else couldn't accomplish more; but that I (given my playing style) couldn't. What would be an interesting experiment (for me) would be to play hotseat the strategy I just played against the AI and compare the results. I think this would set reasonable bounds on what I could expect from this strategy.
rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

rkr1958 wrote:
It could be all perception (to me); but if you'd like to find out for yourself (one way or the other), I'd suggest playing a game (as the allies) against the AI with fow off.
I dug up some screen caps from 4+ years ago from a game played between the Axis-AI and Allied-AI. By the way, to watch such a game is like watching paint dry. I ran the game overnight and made these caps the next morning. From what I can tell I stand by my claims that the AI cheats with respect to oil and PP's. However; it doesn't seem to with respect to manpower. Tell me what you think?

rkr1958

Post by rkr1958 »

Back to my just completed AAR (for the moment). I've captured this AAR is its entirety, and with typo's and the likes, in a single PDF file. You are welcomed to this file, which can be downloaded using the link below.

GSv3.00 Fun Playing Against the AI

This file, which is in pdf, is on the order of 29-MB. This single pdf file replaces the 4 individual powerpoint files, which have now be deleted, that I put up and reference to earlier.

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”