Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris please)

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

jjdenver
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Re: Can we save the Bear, Richardsd vs Morris (no Morris ple

Post by jjdenver »

Plaid wrote:
trulster wrote: Cool, denying the Germans 6 PP per turn is definitely worth "losing" one GAR for the Brits.
Its not GAR, its paratrooper. You will not even be able to recruit new one, as this will not be destroyed and still will occupy limit, and you dont have this many british paratroops (you get first in 1942 and in 1944 its like 3 I believe).
Also you can deny all same PPs (yes, less effectively) only parking few naval units near Norway.
What does this mean? Where and how many naval units do u park? And why is it less effective?

Again great AAR. I feel like I should be paying a subscription fee to read this thing haha.
richardsd
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by richardsd »

a bit of oops this turn as I competed it after too much wine :(

its a bit ragged (a few mistakes etc..) but here are the afters for the area's of operation

I am sure he will swap teh GAR back, but I should have a good shot at eliminating it in one turn in fair weather

richardsd

Post by richardsd »

ok, here we go - the real deal 1942 version!

in Norway Morris swapped the GAR into Oslo as expected

elsewhere its here he comes - in all three directions :o

and what is in here :?:

in Norway we take Oslo as expected

in the North we take Novogorod and upgrade some Moscow defences

in the South we nibble an ARM but really we retreat slightly so he has to move twice to get the oil!

in Europe we expand our bombing to take the second synth plant to orange and hit Berlin for 2 PP's

and we start phase two of our string startegy - summer holiday in Portugal 8)

richardsd

Post by richardsd »

Morris keeps coming on all 3 fronts :?

and tries to cut off the Caucuses in the south

time for us to decide where to fight and although we can't see whats following the Omsk thrust we are mostly going to ignore it for now and concentrate on the south

we reinforce and upgrade the last of the Moscow defenders

in Portugal the attacks go quite poorly and Lisbon holds out strongly :(

and of course our boring bombing contiues, this turn we have the second synth plant in red and take another 2 PP's off Berlin, next turn we will have 2 STR's for Berlin :D

Cybvep
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Cybvep »

He is attacking everywhere, but because of that he overstretched himself. I think you can cause serious damage if you concentrate the bulk of your army in one place and push forward.
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

I am trying :) its just that the army is still well down on tech (Russian scientist have been useless, in fact so have the Brits both of which has been annoying - but to be fair the US scientist have done well) and I haven't been able to afford any extra's as the convoys have been very small so far :(

the next turn should allow me some leeway as a decent convoy will hit murmansk :D and I have finished upgrading the existing units
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

we detect a change! Morris is swinging from Omsk to try and help the Moscow encirclement, in the South he continues forward but I seem to have messed up the screen shots

in the North we put in place the planned eastern flank

in the south we execute operation 'max' an (almost) all out assualt :D the south will be our major area off offensive operations - this is mostly because it gets us closer to Berlin than if we attack around Moscow

eslewhere the Portuguese continue to fight like demons, 7 attacks and I only reduce them by 4 steps :evil:

and in Europe Morris moves to protect Berlin, never mind we split and take 3 PP's from Berlin and 2 from Paris :D

and we finally sink a BB in the Med with our nibbling operations

zechi
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Post by zechi »

Why did you invade Portugal? I can't see any advantage in it, as Spain is neutral.
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

zechi wrote:Why did you invade Portugal? I can't see any advantage in it, as Spain is neutral.
you will see, although probably later than expected :(

it is part of stretching his defence and internal lines
Crazygunner1
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36
Major - 8.8 cm FlaK 36

Post by Crazygunner1 »

It looks like he is trying to march on Moscow, be careful he doesnt take the backdoor to Moscow from 2 directions and sorounds it. That could make things difficult...i would suggest that you station shock army in his flank as soon as he tries to advance on Moscow the backdoor, you can hit him in the flank where it hurts, just make sure you got some supporting infantry units as well.

Also looks like you could have a nice opportunity in the south to encircle some troops
supermax

Post by supermax »

richardsd wrote:I am trying :) its just that the army is still well down on tech (Russian scientist have been useless, in fact so have the Brits both of which has been annoying - but to be fair the US scientist have done well) and I haven't been able to afford any extra's as the convoys have been very small so far :(

the next turn should allow me some leeway as a decent convoy will hit murmansk :D and I have finished upgrading the existing units
Exactly. What i would do is counter attack across the front and let your attacks find a whole. You have 2 nice opportunity tom disturb<s Moriss offensive. Caucasus and Leningrad area.

Simple. Rail some troops in the Leningrad viscinity and push super hard towards Germany. moriss will have to react. The obvious place where he will take troops to respond are in the Caucasus. Then, moscow, its obvious he wont make a move there till 1943 at the least. When he srats removing troops from those 2 areas, then hit him with a Moscow offensive. Also combine some diversionnary landing in France and an attack on Italy. This would stop his drive towards Omk without even having to confrint him.

In any cases, you are doing well!
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

supermax wrote:
richardsd wrote:I am trying :) its just that the army is still well down on tech (Russian scientist have been useless, in fact so have the Brits both of which has been annoying - but to be fair the US scientist have done well) and I haven't been able to afford any extra's as the convoys have been very small so far :(

Exactly. What i would do is counter attack across the front and let your attacks find a whole. You have 2 nice opportunity tom disturb<s Moriss offensive. Caucasus and Leningrad area.

Simple. Rail some troops in the Leningrad viscinity and push super hard towards Germany. moriss will have to react. The obvious place where he will take troops to respond are in the Caucasus. Then, moscow, its obvious he wont make a move there till 1943 at the least. When he srats removing troops from those 2 areas, then hit him with a Moscow offensive. Also combine some diversionnary landing in France and an attack on Italy. This would stop his drive towards Omk without even having to confrint him.

In any cases, you are doing well!
yikes, this is very close to the actual plan, which is supposed to be top secret :D
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

Crazygunner1 wrote:It looks like he is trying to march on Moscow, be careful he doesnt take the backdoor to Moscow from 2 directions and sorounds it. That could make things difficult...i would suggest that you station shock army in his flank as soon as he tries to advance on Moscow the backdoor, you can hit him in the flank where it hurts, just make sure you got some supporting infantry units as well.

Also looks like you could have a nice opportunity in the south to encircle some troops
if he comes forward again in the south he will get encircled :twisted: - surely not even Morris will attack again!
ncali
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by ncali »

Looks to me like you're in great shape. You're demonstrating the weaknesses of Morris's offensive strategy.
On to Berlin (eventually)!
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

so not even Morris would come forward in the South!

looks like he is going all out for Moscow

in the south our counter attack continues, but some of the combat outcomes were a bit nasty for us :( oh well, thats fortunes of war

in the north we begin forming our very russian counter attack

elswhere the bombing continues

and Portugal finally falls

Cybvep

Post by Cybvep »

Looks good. Morris will have to abandon his plans for Moscow unless he has a strong reserve, which is doubtful. Soon you should be able to start your massive offensive.
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

so the worm turns in July (well probably)

Morris reacts to my flanking around Moscow and you can see the effect with several weaker units in the Moscow front line (GAR and Italian CORP)

in the south he continues to retreat

in Europe Morris reacts a little to the partisan that popped up and moves a GAR I have been straffing (but not by rail, maybe his rail was cap was over too much?)

So we have some decisions in the North and South, do we follow up, wait a turn to regain strength - what to do :?:

So in the south we decide its better to reinforce our ARM and MECH so they can continue to pursue next turn, but we follow up as best we can with our CORP's and one MECH

in the north we go all out, maybe Morris will stay and counter attack as he could do a lot of damage, that works for us :)

in the med we get a nasty combat result and our sniping US SUB is smacked :( still we find a SUB with our DD as we commence sweeps of the med

in Europe, yes you guessed it - more bombing :twisted: Paris red, Berlin yellow and the first look at mainland Europe around Denmark

we also eliminated the weakened GAR that he didn't rail :D

next turn could be interesting!
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

ok, so Morris continues to respond to my stretch, but also tries a few counter attacks - this is good, we want him Russia for winter and we can afford combat exchanges now

in the North

and south

a partisan pops up which shows a few Italian units

in the South we plough on, bloody exhanges are ok by us!

in the north - all out attack, even though we could get cut off

actually, in general our combats have been rubbish for the last two turns and we have left a few 1-2-3 step units grrr :(

in Europe we continue to bomb and land in Denmark (Berlin in orange now :twisted: )

we also do some distracting to stretch him a bit :D

richardsd

Post by richardsd »

oops, note to self - don't do turns after a night out, too much wine = lots of mistakes :shock:

so here are the befores

we hammer home our string strategy - right now just look at the length of the 'line' Morris has to defend :D

in the North and South we temper attack with sensible rebuild so we can attack next turn - goal is kill or keep in Russia so we can kill later!

in Europe we bomb again and consolidate Denmark, really we want a FTR base and two more hex's for Morris to defend :D

and on to Spain, probably not necessary given how the game has gone, but here you are

and yes I do know that there are lots and lots and lots of mistakes :(
richardsd

Post by richardsd »

we arrive at the last guarenteed fair turn in Russia - which signals a brain explosion for us in South Russia - and no excuse either :?

so here is the start, of note is Morris counter attack in Denmark

in the North we continue to punch and build, this is where we will push in winter (well push everywhere but strong here)

in the south we mess up badly :(

we are destroying each other in Russia, we believe this is in our favour, lets have a look at the casualties

I don't really know if this is good or bad, but we have killed a lot of Axis in 42 :?:

we repsond in Denmark, our goal of stringing him out is working well here :) although our Para's take a beating :(

in Spain we push on but mess up the screen shot

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”