Amerika in Flames---The War is over and Peace treaty signed!

After action reports for Commander Europe at War.

Moderators: rkr1958, Happycat, Slitherine Core

massina_nz
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by massina_nz »

Here's the chart from the GS manual on ARMour penalties. Pretty sure it applies to both ARM attacking that terrain type and defending in that terrain type.
I guess the trade-off is that the ARMour benefits from the 20% attacking penalty for having entrenchment, but suffers a 40% hit itself to it's defense capability. So it would depend on it's core defense value, the ARM's survivability less the Russianas AT factor versus the INF or MECH survivability, as to which unit would have the highest net survivability.

Moral of the story, don't put ARM units in non-clear terrain.
supermax
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by supermax »

massina_nz wrote:Here's the chart from the GS manual on ARMour penalties. Pretty sure it applies to both ARM attacking that terrain type and defending in that terrain type.
I guess the trade-off is that the ARMour benefits from the 20% attacking penalty for having entrenchment, but suffers a 40% hit itself to it's defense capability. So it would depend on it's core defense value, the ARM's survivability less the Russianas AT factor versus the INF or MECH survivability, as to which unit would have the highest net survivability.

Moral of the story, don't put ARM units in non-clear terrain.
Point taken i shall make some moves next turn
supermax

Turn 103: German counter-offensive (the last one)

Post by supermax »

supermax

104: On the ostwall

Post by supermax »

supermax

VICTORY!

Post by supermax »

Well well!

It is the end of a magnificent game. I am happya bout getting the incredible success i got and also about making the rules change with the result we got into the game, but i am also happy that PAngen got his share of fun starting in 1944 when he took the initiative.

My only regret was that i was not able to take Moscow.

In a sense, it was written on the wall. All those pp spent early in the game in over transports and over evrything affected my research. Also being committed to North America until the end of 1942 made for an impossible vicotry against the Russians. Also in 41-42 i had to manage my oil and couldnt attack as much as i should have.

My only major error in this game is that i wasnt ready for the fall of Britain and the US. Meaning that it took me 5-6 turns to get forces in the Middle East. Those forces should have been on the shores of Jerusalem the turn the western power surrendered. I would then have been able to take the oilfields and offensivate as much as i should have in 42-43.

I also took a good note about Pangen strategy on the plane thing with the Russians... Never again will i underestimate or under-research my germans!

Anyway thanks to all you reader , i felt like PAngen was the one getting the advice since no one was giving me any, i guess he was the underdog!

Also thanks to Pangen that is a great player to play against AND a great sport. Most players would have quitted after my taking of Ottawa. But he battled on and he got his reward, he burst the axis victory bubble!

I also think for all you readers that you should try Pangen for a game, you'll get your monet's worth...
rkr1958
General - Elite King Tiger
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by rkr1958 »

Max,

Congratulations and thanks for a very entertaining AAR. The in-character writeups with pictures was a very nice touch. At times it was almost like reading a historical fiction novel.
thommo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by thommo »

Thx for this great ARR, it was my favorite!
I hope you will start a new one soon!
supermax

Post by supermax »

thommo wrote:Thx for this great ARR, it was my favorite!
I hope you will start a new one soon!
Thanks.

I could, i have 5 games running at the moment. I'll talk with some of my opponents
Lexmanbis

Post by Lexmanbis »

Thanks indeed Supermax for this very interesting AAR!!! and congrats of course!!
shawkhan
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by shawkhan »

As others have also stated, this was indeed my favorite AAR. I hope you start another one soon!
Clark
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by Clark »

I wouldn't take the lack of advice as anything other than a sign of respect for your skills. I mean, most of the game you were ripping through PG's defenses in a way I would not have thought possible, so of course I wasn't going to bother to offer you much advice. I would have only slowed you down!

I think I did offer some pointers based on my similar success in a vanilla game, however.
supermax

Post by supermax »

Well guys, thanks for the positive comments. Its great to see people liked it we did put, me and Pangen, a lot of time into it! In my next AAr i will try to put more in-AAr stories as they seem to have been appreciated.

I am trying to talk Pangen into organizing some kind of rematch, (i would tentativly call this "Pangen's revenge" lol), this would be interesting to see!
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

Thanks SM, great job with the AAR.

Historical question: Could Russia have fought to the gates if Berlin of both the USA and UK were out of the war by 1942? It is difficult to imagine this:/.
trulster
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by trulster »

It is actually not that far-fetched, historically Germany had 70% of its forces on the Easter Front. They would have been defeated even if the other 30% were also added. More far out is the fact of US being knocked out of the war at all by an Eastern invasion:)
Clark

Post by Clark »

Supermax, do you think that it would have been possible for you to have taken Russia (or at least Moscow) aside from getting a head start on the ME oilfields?
Clark

Post by Clark »

trulster wrote:It is actually not that far-fetched, historically Germany had 70% of its forces on the Easter Front. They would have been defeated even if the other 30% were also added. More far out is the fact of US being knocked out of the war at all by an Eastern invasion:)
The Russians probably would have taken longer to get there, but if the Germans had been just as overextended and short on oil in invading Canada and eastern US, I don't see why the Russians could not overcome the Germans.
supermax

Post by supermax »

Clark wrote:Supermax, do you think that it would have been possible for you to have taken Russia (or at least Moscow) aside from getting a head start on the ME oilfields?
Well, with the states of affairs in the sense that Pangen built this incredible airfleet, no i dont think it could have been enough.

If he had not built this airfleet i think i would have rolled right over him.

But the fact of the matter is that once i had expanded most of my manpower i was in trouble.

Also the fact that to be able to pull this invasion of canada i had to forget any heavy investments in reseach, making the end of the game (1944 and later) very difficult because of russian troop quality and tech vs the germans. Italy also did not develop more than 1 or 2 inf tech i only invested something like 1 pts in inf thats all!!!
BuddyGrant

Post by BuddyGrant »

Clark wrote:
trulster wrote:It is actually not that far-fetched, historically Germany had 70% of its forces on the Easter Front. They would have been defeated even if the other 30% were also added. More far out is the fact of US being knocked out of the war at all by an Eastern invasion:)
The Russians probably would have taken longer to get there, but if the Germans had been just as overextended and short on oil in invading Canada and eastern US, I don't see why the Russians could not overcome the Germans.
Do these opinions that Russia could have won anyway take into account the huge loss of allied lend lease aide to Russia? Some historians point to that aide as saving Russia while it was on the ropes.

Re: USA being knocked out ---> Absolutely, that seems much more outrageous than Russia losing:). Many of the books describing the German focus during the Battle of Britain* point to a strategy of knocking out England early to keep the USA out of the war or at least delay it's arrival and allow the Germans more time to defeat Russia. It is certainly not far fetched that the Germans could have defeated Russia. Perhaps they could have done so in this game if the USA had been left alone?

* = Of course Germany lost their Battle of Britain air-superiority-over-the-channel focus after they accidentally bombed London, had Berlin bombed, and then shifted focus from airfields to the London Blitz!
Clark

Post by Clark »

BuddyGrant wrote:
Clark wrote:
Do these opinions that Russia could have won anyway take into account the huge loss of allied lend lease aide to Russia? Some historians point to that aide as saving Russia while it was on the ropes.

Re: USA being knocked out ---> Absolutely, that seems much more outrageous than Russia losing:). Many of the books describing the German focus during the Battle of Britain* point to a strategy of knocking out England early to keep the USA out of the war or at least delay it's arrival and allow the Germans more time to defeat Russia. It is certainly not far fetched that the Germans could have defeated Russia. Perhaps they could have done so in this game if the USA had been left alone?

* = Of course Germany lost their Battle of Britain air-superiority-over-the-channel focus after they accidentally bombed London, had Berlin bombed, and then shifted focus from airfields to the London Blitz!
If Lend Lease aid had stopped in early 1943 as it did in this game, Russia probably still could have won.
supermax

The Conference of Berlin

Post by supermax »

This july 15th 1946 will stay into the history book as the day the world was split in two.

Finally, after a great 2-wars struggle, Germany has finally confirmed its place it sought as the leader of the world. this was and the first world war, after all, was about a state that was trying to change the order of international business. The next "unexpected" partner, Russia also gots its lion's share in the deal

After much fight into German proper in may to august 1945, it became pretty clear to the Russians that they could not break the back of German resistance on the Ost wall and a renewed Manstein counter-offensive in september 1945 was finally enough to bring Stalin to the negociating table. The 2 sides had had enough after close to 15 millions military casualities on both sides.

The Berlin conference opened in july 1945. The whole world was invited. Delegates from around the world travelled to war-torn Europe for the final negociations that would state the new international order emerging from the Second World war. The "free" world, championned by Britain and America, had been soundly defeated. The eastern seaboard of America occupied, and a facist government installed in both german-occupied Canada and Britain. The japanese also took advantage of America's weakness in 41 and 42 to occupy most of the Pacific , Hawaii and finally landed in Los Angeles in 1943. Alaska was also invaded in 1944. Following big battles in Salt Lake City and in the outskirts of Denver, noth sides decided it was also time for peace by mid 1945.

So the 2 main players were Germany and the Soviet union, followed closely by Italy (that contributed more than 4 millions casualities in Russia for its trouble) and Japan. All had agendas and in the en dit was the occupied lands by wich armie that took precedence, by rights of Conquest. It took a while for Germany and USSR to agree on central Europe since Hitler sould not yield german-populated area to the Russians. The Balkans, loosely formed into a communist aliance, joined the many soviet sattelites. Greece, never in the fight , allowed itself to be taken over by facism, thus making sure to get germany’s protection. Finland got some territory losses but nothing major and Sweden/Norway/Denmark all decided to join the growing facist sentiments in their respectives countries and created a new alliance to counter-balance the threat of very agressive soviet external expansionism.

Turkey was able to maintain its independence and would become in the 50’s and 60’s the 2 block battleground for the upcoming cold war. North Africa was split in 2, Russia getting all former british lands , Italy letting Lybia go, and Germany got the french northern african territories for its trouble. The Duce was mad with rage with this, but without the Fuehrer’s support, he could do nothing.

Franco, already a conviced Facist, was very easily arm-wrestled into joining the Facist alliance, along with cooperative british and canadian facists governments.

The new American president Truman was able to maintain its position in the world right in the middle of what was former the United states of America because of the development of the Atomic bomb, first tested in Arizona on a japanese army. This in itself was enough to bring both Germany and Japan to the negociating table in mid 45, but not enough to get rid of them as Truman could not decide to use the Atom bomb on american soil…

Anyway, after the peace treaty was signed all world leaders, including Hitler, Stalin, Tojo, Truman and Mussolini parted ways fully believing that the treaty was just a lull in the fighting and that the end of the war was way , way into the future.

America was plotting its revenge.
Hitler could not stop with Europe and wanted its return trip to Moscow.
Mussolini would just do what Hitler would do
Tojo could not stay idle with an agressive america intent on recovering lost territory
And Stalin would simply be the stalin that he was, that is a warmonger

The world with all those megalomaniacs, was far from being at peace, and not a safe place…

Return to “Commander Europe at War : AAR's”