Welcome to the Player Designed Lists forum

An unofficial forum for people to discuss potential new lists and amendments. Note this is not about picking armies from existing lists, it is about creating lists for armies that do not exist or suggesting changes to those that do.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Welcome to the Player Designed Lists forum

Post by nikgaukroger »

As it “says on the tin” this is an unofficial forum for people to discuss potential new lists and amendments to lists already published in the Field of Glory companion books.

Please note it is not about picking armies from existing lists – those should be discussed in the Army Design forum - viewforum.php?f=53

This forum is open to anyone who wishes to make a contribution. There are no set rules as to how list discussion should take place or the format, other than the usual forum rules on posting. We do suggest that list proposals are supported by relevant evidence, quotations, etc. to aid discussion, however, there is no need for, or expectation of, a formal academic structure to posts – unless you want to that is 8)

Also please ensure that suggestions conform with the rules as they currently stand. This is not a rules changes forum.

Hopefully this forum will generate a lively discussion and any, or all, of the lists are “fair game” – the list team have thick skins so don’t worry about that :P

N.B. Members of the team who have produced the published lists may wish to involve themselves here, however, please note that any such posts are their personal views and should not be considered those of the list team as a whole or indication of what may appear in future published lists.

Also note that this is not a forum where the list team will explain their thinking behind the lists - that would be a full time job - but one where alternatives are suggested and discussed. Explanations may be forthcoming at times, but not necessarily all the time and definitely not on demand - we don't have the time I'm afraid.
Last edited by nikgaukroger on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

In addition to Nik's comments, may I make a few recommendations.

1) Where possible, let's try to keep all discussion of a particular list in one thread, so that it can be easily found. The thread title, should, of course, clearly state what list it is about.

2) Let's try to only discuss one list per thread, unless the specific issue being discussed overlaps several lists.

3) As Nik says, we are always ready to be enlightened, but let's keep it civil and non-confrontational. You may be outraged at what the list team has done to your favourite army, but your arguments are more likely to convince the list team if their blood is not boiling as they read them. Demanding an explanation for the travesty in a tone of outrage is not likely to be productive. Remember that the published lists are our honest attempt at the best historical interpretation of the armies - we did not accept any backhanders from your opponents to nobble them.

4) It will be some time before revisions of the army lists are published. We are hoping that this forum will be a useful resource when the time comes to do this.
Last edited by rbodleyscott on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
marioslaz
Captain - Bf 110D
Captain - Bf 110D

Campaign game

Post by marioslaz »

Could this forum be the site where to discuss about campaign games and related special army list?
Mario Vitale
robertthebruce
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by robertthebruce »

Good Idea guys :wink: .

It´s ever good to have differents views.

Maybe the moderators should do a little effort to keep the material organized as Richard says, I will stay here to try to help in whatever possible.

David
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Re: Campaign game

Post by nikgaukroger »

marioslaz wrote:Could this forum be the site where to discuss about campaign games and related special army list?
Armies yes, but not, I think, campaign/scenario rules, etc.
Nik Gaukroger

grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Welcome to the Player Designed Lists forum

Post by grahambriggs »

nikgaukroger wrote: Hopefully this forum will generate a lively discussion and any, or all, of the lists are “fair game” – the list team have thick skins so don’t worry about that :P
Speak for yourself. I, on the other hand am delicate and easily bruised :shock:

But since I only did bits of Blood and Gold I hope to avoid mopst of the richly deserved ordure :)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Re: Welcome to the Player Designed Lists forum

Post by rbodleyscott »

grahambriggs wrote:But since I only did bits of Blood and Gold I hope to avoid mopst of the richly deserved ordure :)
True, but you may get the blame for destroying game balance with MF with Javelins. (Even if the blame might be misplaced).
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

marioslaz wrote:Could this forum be the site where to discuss about campaign games and related special army list?
Those might be better placed in the "Historical Scenarios" section.

If and when we do revise the army list books, there isn't likely to be a lot of extra room for "Special Campaigns".
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

rbodleyscott wrote:
Those might be better placed in the "Historical Scenarios" section.

Good point, I'd forgotten about that sub-forum :oops:
Nik Gaukroger

jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Can we move the threads, that prompted this section to be created, into this area

Regards
JDM
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

I considered that for the recent one (viewtopic.php?t=9445), however, it seemed a bit unfocused and was rather hoping that those who took part who had useful information would repost it in a more structured format - along the lines of Scott's post on Germans. Otherwise we move a 5 page topic with only a handful of posts that include information directly relating to a list (IMO).

I'll see about pulling what look like relevant bits out to start new topics here.
Nik Gaukroger

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Some bits pulled from the topic mentioned. Hopefully this can kick off some discussion. I'm sure some bit have been missed, if so I'm sure the original posters can start new threads with them :)
Nik Gaukroger

SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by SirGarnet »

Can I suggest adding a Companion page reference to the title? Such as

Nikephorians with VII: p75 or 7:p75 or probably most usefully Decline p75 etc.

Although there is the academic's argument that someone who doesn't know exactly where the list are has no business reading this thread!
PaulByzan
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by PaulByzan »

Nik, Richard and JD thanks for setting up this Forum. This is a smart, fair and open-minded way to handle the issues that have been raised regarding army lists. I think it'll generate a lot of good ideas (and probably some daft ones) and it'll certainly get the research juices flowing. Much appreciated.

Paul G.
peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by peterrjohnston »

Nice idea.

I moved over the Etruscan and Samnites' threads that was in army design. Others I can think of:

Nabataean (although there's a ally list in Book 1)
Early Republican Roman
Proto-Roman (Tullian?)
Other early Italian tribes.
African/arab armies like Nobades, Blemmye and sub-Saharan
Pre-Islamic arab armies.

Perhaps starting threads, even if empty, might encourage posting.
peterrjohnston
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by peterrjohnston »

Forgot to add, from a quick scan I didn't find any other posts in the army
design sub-forum that might be more relevant here, apart from
the "will there be" type questions.

Return to “Player Designed Lists”