Byzantine Fire Grenadiers

An unofficial forum for people to discuss potential new lists and amendments. Note this is not about picking armies from existing lists, it is about creating lists for armies that do not exist or suggesting changes to those that do.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

PaulByzan
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Byzantine Fire Grenadiers

Post by PaulByzan »

From theByzantine newsgroup "BYZANS": http://time-lines.co.uk/byzantine-ceram ... 114-0.html

The article URL above makes a serious case for the existence of Byzantine fire grenadiers, equivaletnt to those in certain Moslem armies such as the Mamluk Naffatun. So where is this troop type allowed for the Byzantines in FoG? We've been told that some sort of proof is necessary before a change to the army lists is allowed. How about the grenades themselves? There's half a dozen for sale. Should at least be good for at least 0-6 LF, average, unprotected (or even protected) drilled Firearm for the Thematic and Nikephorean Byzantines.

Paul Georgian
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Byzantine Fire Grenadiers

Post by philqw78 »

I agree. And they'd make very interesting figures adding a bit of character to the game
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Re: Byzantine Fire Grenadiers

Post by grahambriggs »

I think you'd need reference to them being used in open battle. You'll know much better than I paul but I seem to remember fire pots were used a lot in the Byzantine navy: were they used in open land battles too?

I do agree that the Byzantine lists need some attention. They seem almost perversely full of inefficient battle groups (bow* troops that add cost and not much else, rubbish spear to bow proportions in the skoutatoi, tiny expensive Kataphractoi, etc) without many good bits to counter them in some lists (Varangians excepted). I suspect a lot of it is that the list writer had some very specific sources that they followed, whereas less well documented armies are less constrained.

Return to “Player Designed Lists”