size of units in S&S

This is a forum for discussing the use of the Field of Glory gaming system to play fantasy battles. This is not an official product! yet ;)

Moderators: terrys, Slitherine Core

MatthewB
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: size of units in S&S

Post by MatthewB »

davekhan wrote:MB
Your orc army sounds very short of 900pts to your troop elfs and yes it looks like the orcs will have a 3:2 ratio if not a bit more and so they should !

I played game at are local club using my orc army and this is what a put out

5 B.G Orcs Warband Undrilled med foot impact foot unarmoured ,av, swordsmen ..8-12 bases 2x8 ,1x10 1x10 ,1x12 bases
2 B.G. Goblins undrilled med foot impact foot unarmoured Poor 12 bases each
1 B.G Orc med foot offensive spear Undrilled protected superior 8 bases
2 B.G Goblin Bow lt foot poor unprotected 8 bases
1.B.G wolfriders Lt horse lt spear(just for impact combat ,when the wolfs charge in !) AND Bow, unprotected swordsmen (more for the wolf fighting than the goblin.... :)
1 B.G trolls have had them in 3 bases Classed them as elephants and hvy armoured!
1 B.G wolf packs class them as hvy chariots ( that way they only fight in 1 rank but there is lost of them so get 2 dice ?
1 B.G orc bow med foot undrilled bow av.

MB all this is just 745 pts ! add 4 troop generals 140 pts total 885pts thats 14 B.G and you have 7 B,G for 900pts this just shows you how strong this elf army is ... but that's how games are played .

and just think if I down grades some of me orc warbands to poor I could get another 1 or 2 more B.G s

points are used for a reason in this rules it helps balance the games !
I never said what was in the Orc army, only that the Orcs outnumbered the Elves by about 3:1.

That isn't my Orc army that you have listed there.

MB
MatthewB
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Re: size of units in S&S

Post by MatthewB »

grahambriggs wrote:
MatthewB wrote:That is one of the problems with Elves, similar to Republican Roman Armies that had all Superior Legions. They are freaking tiny armies.
They sound it, but that's no bad thing against rather unmanouverable enemies. My FoGR Swiss are the same: four big BGs of pike and three of skirmishers. It helps in the FOGR game that BGs of more than 12 bases count as double for the size of the armies. still, 16 bases of elite, armoured determined foot pike still come to an eye- watering 192 points. My standard tactic is the form all the pikes into a block 6 wide and 10 deep (2 units in front, 2 behind) and insert that into the enemy. It works surprisingly well, and always gives a good game.
I have yet to be able to play enough to figure out what works.

I personally only have about 1/3 of the Elf Figures, and my Orcs/Goblins are not yet finished. And I only have about 400 points of Rohirrim finished (although I have about 1,800 points worth of Rohirrim figures... and the same each for Gondorians, Easterlings, Haradrim, Dunlendings, Dwarves, Uruk-Hai - Isengard, and Umbarrim). So it would behoove me to get my ass painting more over the next year that I am taking off school.

And worst of all, when I moved to LA, I haven't been able to find other gamers that I can get to. So even if I get the rest of my figures painted, I don't yet have anyone to play with.

Although I'll be mostly in Houston over the next year, and I have a couple of people with whom I can play there.

I've been told that I should also have a look at FoGR, as the rules are supposedly better. But I can't see how Renaissance rules would apply to Dark Ages based armies (Save for the Elves - They don't really have an analog - but all of the Humans, and kinda the Orcs are all based upon Dark Ages period Armies, with some minor alterations.... Mostly troop quantities).

MB

Return to “Field of Glory : Swords & Sorcery : General Discussion”