Table size for 28mm?

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

Akbar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Table size for 28mm?

Post by Akbar »

This may be a more stupid question than I think, but what would be the best size for the gaming table when playing 28mm models? The book recommends using larger bases (and our gaming group do, 60x40mm for infantry, 60x50 for cavalry) and making a MU 1.5" rather than 1", but wouldn't that make a larger table than the standard 48"x72" necessary? As far as I can tell from the book that is recommended. Since opposed troops other than light troops and arty are supposed to be deployed no closer than 28", that would need to increase up to 42" since troops move faster and shoot further (and furthermore, need more space to deploy since they are bigger). Likewise, flank deployment would need changes. Would a 72"x96" table be the best? How do you do it in UK?

60x40 for infantry is a bit messy when turning infantry for flankcharges, but 60x30 makes the the units look smallish and thin, I think, btw.
http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Table size for 28mm?

Post by kevinj »

Typically, for U.K. Competitions we use a 6x4 (72x48 inch table), using 40mm MUs for movement, shooting and command ranges but 1 inch MUs for deployment, flank sectors and terrain. It's a bit of a compromise as a larger table would be better but 6x4 is a common standard. Normal army size is 650 or 700 points. We use 60x30 mm bases for foot, 60x40 for mounted and 60x60 for Dragoons And commanders. I hope that helps.
Akbar
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by Akbar »

It does certainly help. So when you play 28mm, doesn't that mean that armies crash together a lot faster than they would in 15mm? Certainly that must make artillery
worse and the battlefield a bit cramped?
http://krigetkommer.weebly.com/
kevinj
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by kevinj »

Yes, it means Heavy Artillery aren't so good, Mediums are all you need. Light guns are more effective than in 15mm. There is a lot less manoeuvring than in 15mm. It's a different game but still a good one.
viking123
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by viking123 »

I have used 8' x 4' tables with 800 points 28mm armies.

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”