Official FoG:R Update

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Renaissance Wars.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, FOGR Design

RonanTheLibrarian
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Official FoG:R Update

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

Dragoons - mine always autobreak in the first couple of turns; in fact, they're usually the first unit(s) I lose in every game. I'd be grateful for any rule changes that stopped that. :D

Artillery - mine never hit anything*. I'd be grateful for any rule changes that stopped that, too. :D

(* To the point where I consciously pick armies that allow a "zero guns" option - eg Early Henrician, New Model - no matter how crap they are in other respects. )
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

I shall be posting something up tonight to kick things off even if our dedicated forum is not yet available.

It won't be the whole range of subjects we have in mind but I think we ought to get moving.
Nik Gaukroger

"Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he will tell you.
If he does not, why humiliate him?" - Canon Sydney Smith

nikgaukroger@blueyonder.co.uk
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

RonanTheLibrarian wrote:(* To the point where I consciously pick armies that allow a "zero guns" option - eg Early Henrician, New Model - no matter how crap they are in other respects. )
I hear ya. When I built my Louis XIV army I assumed that the 2 compulsory light guns were a 24 point tax on running a late period army :)
ravenflight

Post by ravenflight »

nikgaukroger wrote:I shall be posting something up tonight to kick things off even if our dedicated forum is not yet available.
Awesome.

It may surprise you to learn that I intend to comment.
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

It would be nice if Dragoons could be encouraged to skulk in hedgerows and delay the enemy. At the moment they often function as pseudo-LH with sniper rifles.

If musket-armed dragoons shot as arquebus (or even carbine?) when in open/broken terrain, and as normal muskets when in rough or difficult that might be an idea?
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
RonanTheLibrarian

Post by RonanTheLibrarian »

Can someone please direct me to the "uber-armee" that contains these amazing chaps? My two units didn't inflict a single casualty in four games at Warfare - in fact, I can't even recall them registering a single hit. They were also the first routees in all four games (usually disrupting at least one other unit in the process - ok, that's my fault, but I thought I'd add it into the mix).
"No plan survives the first contact with the dice."

"There is something wrong with our bloody dice today!"
benjones1211
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by benjones1211 »

As for Uber armies with dragoons, Late Louis with 15-16 possible, is one.

Some of my thoughts
For dragoons, if they move (other than a simple advance of 3MU or less) fire as LF, otherwise as MF, if their moving they won't have as much time to set up to shoot so less effective. Which also to a large extent would make them more effective if taking and holding terrain as they should do than running around sniping.

M/H guns to be deployed in first deployment group and not able to fire in flanks, -1 to hit over 8" except against other artillery, when captured can be removed.
In some battles, units where fired at almost all day with minimum casualties at long range. Also will make it much harder to get that one casualty on an Average horse unit at long range that then makes then ineffective for the rest of the battle.
Also all H/M artillery where usually first on the battlefield due to how cumbersome they are too move.

Points for Det Horse/ Horse/ Cavalry do need to be looked at although I am not an expert on these I can see the problems from other peoples discussions.

All commanded shot should be Muskets, no Swedish Salvo Commanded Shot, remove regimental guns from Swedish Commanded shot, the number of guns each unit had was very small, and by allowing them to be Muskets then they shoot as two MF at short range rather than 1.

Allow commanded shot to charge if in edge contact with Horse that is also charging
nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

benjones1211 wrote: M/H guns to be deployed in first deployment group and not able to fire in flanks, -1 to hit over 8" except against other artillery, when captured can be removed.
In some battles, units where fired at almost all day with minimum casualties at long range.

I think it is worth pointing out that all shooting probably causes casualties far quicker in the game than was the case historically - this is quite deliberate in order that we can get an enjoyable game and play in a reasonable time.
Nik Gaukroger

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

nikgaukroger wrote:I shall be posting something up tonight to kick things off even if our dedicated forum is not yet available.

It won't be the whole range of subjects we have in mind but I think we ought to get moving.

First topic posted up - see the Stickies section.
Nik Gaukroger

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Posted a second one - also in Stickies.
Nik Gaukroger

nikgaukroger
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by nikgaukroger »

Please note we now have a dedicated forum for FoG:R update discussions - the 3 existing posts on this will be moved there.
Nik Gaukroger

Return to “Field of Glory : Renaissance Wars : General Discussion”