Hello, I just want to talk about this great game

PC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Near East.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Ham
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Hello, I just want to talk about this great game

Post by Ham »

Hello!

I have owned this game for a long time and played through the Grand Campaign 2 times. Both times before getting the new technology for heavy cavalry, though...
I just wanted to talk about this great game, best turn based strategy game I've played. A few years ago I played Heroes of Might & Magic III, but then I found and bought this game, and it's probably really rare in Europe (I've never seen it in a store after that time), and I like this game better.

I've played the Grand Campaign as the Dahae (nice horse archers), and in the end it was all me and the Hittites who fought the battles, I won, barely. But I didn't really know what I was doing back then, I was always out of building materials.

The second nation I chose to play as is Minaea, those Medjay Skirmishers got me all the way to that strange fort called Psylli, and those Skeleton Warriors got me through the rest of the game, heh. Still surprises me that there were necromancers back in 2400 B.C.

Now I have played as the Judeans for some months (I chose them because they always got conquered so early in my previous games and I wanted a challenge), and I'm this far.

It was easier than I thought, really. Right now taxes are at 0, all cities at Jubilant and I have several gold-star-squads on the field. I just got heavy infantry tech, too. And I made some tweaks so that I would have to conquer the whole map to win, too.

By the way, I love the way the borders change when I conquer a village or fort! Very nice game you guys.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Great - gld you like it! You should give SPartan & Gates of Troy a try as they are the same basic engine with lots of enhancements :)
Ham

Post by Ham »

If I get more time I will, but is there any chance of finding those games here in Europe?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We are UK based - you can download them from our site or you can buy boxed copies from us - we ship worldwide. Finding them at retail now will be tough as they are pretty old games :)
Ham

Post by Ham »

Wow, I have to check some more some time. I have to say that I like your style, think about Commander: Europe at War... I didn't think anyone made games like that any more, when we get Commander: Europe at War boxed copies here in Europe, I really have to think about buying it (I can't say I trust online buying, I like seeing the actual copy in my hand when I buy a CD or game). If it supports Vista, that is.

I'm really happy with good, old Chariots of War, though.

Anyways, keep up the good work Slitherine.
Carolus_Rex

Post by Carolus_Rex »

"Psylli, and those Skeleton Warriors got me through the rest of the game, heh. Still surprises me that there were necromancers back in 2400 B.C."

So you CAN recruit those skeletons? :shock:
Ham

Post by Ham »

Haven't been here for a while, now let me answer this question...

They can only be recruited here:

And I am this far in my game:

Redpossum
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Redpossum »

Hey, Ham, thanks for explaining how that works.

Have you checked out Gates of Troy yet?
Ham

Post by Ham »

Glad I could help. I hope the Carolus Rex guy comes back and sees this as well. I saw that he has been asking about the skeletons this month. I also recognize him from the paradox interactive forums, I enjoy some of their older games as well. Like Europa Universalis 2 and those games, you know.

Nope, I have not checked out Gates of Troy, and I am probably not doing it until I feel I am finished with the games I own now :)
Which is probably not in a while, when I finish my campaign as the Judeans, I will concentrate more on my Medes campaign.
Ham

Post by Ham »

Looks like I am finished. Last fort belonged to the Saka.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Impressive :)
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

Just finished a campain as the Egyptians on the Levant map.

This game is still so awsome and the historical setting is very rare.

I own Spartan but I keep comming back to this jewel.
Somehow the simple style match the setting perfectly.

:D :D :D
gollummen
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gollummen »

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Return to “Chariots of War”