Charging 2 Units??

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Napoleonics.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Charging 2 Units??

Post by Blathergut »

Two cavalry units are lined up side by side, fronts flush.

Can an enemy cavalry unit declare a charge on just one even though from its starting point it would cross the path of the right-hand unit in order to charge the left-hand unit? If neither cavalry moved, the enemy charger would hit both units, unable to avoid contacting the right-hand unit.

Is this a legal charge since declaring on just one will cause it to counter-charge and then the charger avoids contacting the right-hand unit?
BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Re: Charging 2 Units??

Post by BrettPT »

I'll have to set this up on the coffee table and have a close look at the rules.
Will get back to you.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

In essence:

Can I declare a charge on 1 enemy cavalry unit that is side-by-side a second enemy cavalry unit. Even if we were all straight on, and if only my unit moved and would contact both enemy units, can I simply say, "I'm charging THAT one, so that one has to counter-charge and the other is left behind"?

Now, the wheeling rules do allow you to wheel so that you CAN contact your enemy unit. That would, I suppose, mean that as long as I can wheel enough to AVOID the other unit if only I moved, then I would be charging only the one I picked, even if this means wheeling past that target's centre in order to avoid the other cavalry unit.
adonald
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by adonald »

can I simply say, "I'm charging THAT one, so that one has to counter-charge and the other is left behind"?
No necessarily. Your opponent can intercept your charge if they pass a CMT (FOGN v2 5th Draft p17). The non-target cavalry can wheel up to 2MU and move up to 4MU to get in the way. This may also allow the other, non-countercharging unit to provide support to the intercepting unit if that unit can 'crab' over enough. It may not mean much if both adjacent units were identical but it would be hard to pick off the poorer unit of the two with impunity - and you certainly can't say "I'm charging THAT one, so that one has to counter-charge and the other is left behind" with certainty.

If your question is "If my opponent lines up two units adjacent to each other, will that make me have to charge both?" the answer is no, and hasn't been for version 1 either. You has always been able to target one unit, provided you have the space and the move to do so. However, conversely, your opponent has alweys been able to intercept your charge should they wish to. I can't recall if, in version 1, you needed to pass a CMT or not. It's not clear to me why you'd need to pass a CMT anyway - it's not a complex move - it's what cavalry do. An intercept charge is a countercharge carried out by someone different than what the phasing player wants - and why should that they want matter ...

Alastair

Return to “Field of Glory : Napoleonic Era 1792-1815 : General Discussion”