Army List and Label Generator - Download - Version 1.04

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Napoleonics.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

Chasseur
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Army List and Label Generator - Download - Version 1.04

Post by Chasseur »

Hi,

Check out the FOGN Army List and Label Generator which you can download free from the NWA website:

http://www.nwa.org.au/index.php?option= ... Itemid=236

This is to make it easier putting Army Lists together. Uses pull-down lists to help you select troop types, elean, quality and attachments.
Automatically calculates the points cost of your army and the ACV values.

It can also generate labels for your troops, from the army list you have made, with just a single click! :D

The program runs under Excel 2010 and must have macros enable for it to work. Let me know if you find any errors and I will correct them.
There is a version also saved as Excel 2003 file type.

UPDATED - Version 1.04 has been made available 17-Apr-12 at 9:15pm Australian Eastern Standard Time.
Version 1.04: Changed ACV calculations to nearest 0.5 points due to a removed Spent Cavalry base being worth only 0.5 points.
Version 1.03: This properly fixed points cost for Guards, adds some more nations and also adds ACV values when defender gets the +2 ACV.

Note that although this is endorsed by Slitherine, the program (and any errors) are mine. Let me know in this post of any issues and I will try to help.

Cheers,
John Shaw
Nunawading Wargames Association Inc.
http://www.nwa.org.au
Last edited by Chasseur on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
AlanCutner
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Army List and Label Generator - for Download

Post by AlanCutner »

Looks good. Having built a list generator for use by my club (don't worry people, I've sent a copy to JD!) I appreciate just how much work is involved.

Initial questions

1. Can't see how to put two attachments against a unit.
2. Can't see how to allocate attachments to a division (for those armies where attachments aren't allocated until terrain is placed)
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

AlanCutner wrote:Looks good. Having built a list generator for use by my club (don't worry people, I've sent a copy to JD!) I appreciate just how much work is involved.

Initial questions

2. Can't see how to allocate attachments to a division (for those armies where attachments aren't allocated until terrain is placed)
1. It's in the pull down menu for the attachments box! You choose to give the unit the two you want.
Albion1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Albion1 »

Sounds very useful.
Unfortunately my Excel is 2003. :(
AlanCutner

Post by AlanCutner »

Should load in earlier versions of Excel and Open Office - at least it does for me.

Still don't see how to add attachments to a division rather than direct to the units.
BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by BrettPT »

Gret work John

One little gliche I can see is that the points for Guard seem to be light. Making a small unit guard in the program adds 8 points, 12 for a large. Should be 16 and 24 respectively (except for artillery of course).

Cheers
Brett
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

Thank you for your work this should make coming up with Froggie Blatergut bashing armies much easier.
I tried to make a new army list picking the new army tag and it opened a list of a premade Austrian army, was that intentional and you just change add what you want? I was just wondering before I start clicking cells and go oops :o
SirGarnet
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier
Brigadier-General - Elite Grenadier

Post by SirGarnet »

List + Label = Great idea!
Last edited by SirGarnet on Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadtorius
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by deadtorius »

I am having some problems with the generator, trying to make a 2 division army with a mixed division with 6 units and 4 attachments in the first division and 6 units in the second division, can't seem to clear it of the pre-made 4 divisions 5 commanders etc that keeps popping up when I click new list. Was this intentional that you can only have 4 units per division? Can't seem to find anything in the rules in regards to what a maximum size would be. Is there a default blank sheet to start with?
Thanks for your help
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

deadtorius wrote:I am having some problems with the generator, trying to make a 2 division army with a mixed division with 6 units and 4 attachments in the first division and 6 units in the second division, can't seem to clear it of the pre-made 4 divisions 5 commanders etc that keeps popping up when I click new list. Was this intentional that you can only have 4 units per division? Can't seem to find anything in the rules in regards to what a maximum size would be. Is there a default blank sheet to start with?
Thanks for your help
1. Clear the troop field (use the pull down menu and choose the blank at the top) and the general field to clear the entries.
2. Right click and insert row to add to a division. Then copy the boxes with the calculations from one of the previous lines (the boxes right of the attachment box) into the matching boxes of your new line.

This is mentioned in the notes but the language initially confused me.
Chasseur
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Chasseur »

Hi Alan,
1. Just scroll down in the attachment pull-down list. The first part of the list are the single attachments. The lower part of the list are the allowed 2 attachments.

2. There is no way to have a divisional attachment in this first version. I will look at adding this. In the mean time, just add it as an attachment to a unit and make a note at the bottom which attachments can be moved around at deployment. The points should be right, but the labels may need editing.

Cheers,
John Shaw
Chasseur
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Chasseur »

Hi,
deadtorius wrote:Thank you for your work this should make coming up with Froggie Blatergut bashing armies much easier.
I tried to make a new army list picking the new army tag and it opened a list of a premade Austrian army, was that intentional and you just change add what you want? I was just wondering before I start clicking cells and go oops :o
The idea was to have a starting point to modify as it is sometimes easier to do this than starting totally from scratch.

However, if you find a blank canvas better, then what I could do for updated version is to have two choices - a totally blank sheet and also a typical filled out one which you can use as a starting point to modify.

Your thoughts?

John Shaw
Chasseur
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Chasseur »

Hi,
BrettPT wrote:One little gliche I can see is that the points for Guard seem to be light. Making a small unit guard in the program adds 8 points, 12 for a large. Should be 16 and 24 respectively (except for artillery of course).
Cheers
Brett
I shall check this out tonight and fix if it is wrong.

Cheers,
John Shaw
Chasseur
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by Chasseur »

Hi,
BrettPT wrote:One little gliche I can see is that the points for Guard seem to be light. Making a small unit guard in the program adds 8 points, 12 for a large. Should be 16 and 24 respectively (except for artillery of course).
Cheers
Brett
I shall check this out tonight and fix if it is wrong.

Cheers,
John Shaw
Albion1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Albion1 »

Can't seem to find the "new army list" button.
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Albion1 wrote:Can't seem to find the "new army list" button.
It's up in the notes, just below where it mentions "new army list" button. :)
Albion1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Albion1 »

Wouldn't open in 2003 so downloaded Open Office (thanks to Mr. Cutner for the tip).
Maybe it doesn't work perfectly in OO though.
Still can't get new army button - thanks for trying Blathergut.
And on drop down menus, if I try to change something the only other option to the thing written is "o".
Anyone using this successfully in OO?
Blathergut
Field Marshal - Elefant
Field Marshal - Elefant

Post by Blathergut »

Perhaps the designer could save version(s) in Word 2003 format? Does Word 2003 have an option to enable macros? Maybe that's part of the problem. It seems to work fine in Word 2007 here.
Chasseur
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Re: Army List and Label Generator - for Download - Version 1

Post by Chasseur »

Hi,

Have just updated the Army List Generator to Version 1.02. Fixes are:

1. Fixed up the points value for Guard units (thanks for finding that, Brett).

2. Added a unit type called "Attachment (after terrain)". This is if you wish to show attachments that are allocated after terrain placement, but before any units are placed. "Attachment (after terrain)" can be found at the very bottom of the "Troop Type" pull-down list. Make sure columns D, E, F, G and H are blank. Then select the attachment you want from the pull-down list in the "Attachment" column. Of course, a separate label will be generated for this entry which will mean that this label has to be added to the unit along with the iunit's normal label.

3. Excel 2010 uses the same file format as Excel 2007. So the Excel 2010 version of the file should work okay in Excel 2007.

4. I have also saved a copy of the spreadsheet in Excel 2003. Go to the same link above. I do not have this version of Excel any more so I cannot test if Excel 2010 converts it to the earlier version okay. The only indication of a problem it shows when saving as this earlier version, is that some of the conditional formatting does not convert directly. But try it out. Remember to enable macros. Let me know if it works okay.

Note that there are grey buttons near the top of every Army Sheet (in cell I2) and also in the Notes sheet (in cell B20) to generate a new Army sheet. If they are missing when you open the file, then I do not think the program you are using is properly compatible with Excel. You can always just copy one of the existing Army worksheets and change the name. Just make sure you blank out the Label worksheet name in cell I1 - otherwise you will overwrite the labels from the original sheet.

Cheers,
John Shaw
Albion1
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Re: Army List and Label Generator - for Download - Version 1

Post by Albion1 »

Brilliant John - the 2003 version seems to be fine.

Return to “Field of Glory : Napoleonic Era 1792-1815 : General Discussion”