Field Of Glory: Napoleonic Coming in March 2012!

General discussion forum for anything related to Field of Glory Napoleonics.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Blathergut, Slitherine Core

ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

grahambriggs wrote:It does seem odd that the cover and a statement from someone else on another site is the strongest criticism you can muster. Praised with faint damnation?
Incidentally, I went to 'the other site' (TMP) and found what I think is the thread where the other person's statement was raised. It certainly wasn't a claim of copyrite violation or anything of the sort. The 'other statement' was quite nicely written. Now, of course, I may have not found the actual thread but one similar to it, and that same person may be getting ready to file a lawsuit against Osprey/Slitherine (heaven can only imagine what the Austrian Historical Society are going to do - probably a similar lawsuit) but it APPEARS that Mr Hollins is actually putting words into another persons statement. After re-reading what Mr Hollins has said, I note that he didn't actually make any accusations, but used vague words to make it appear that things were worse than they actually are.

He doesn't like the rules... that's fine. Generally I don't like what I've read either. I'll make the choice to play them or not depending on a LOT of variables, but I do believe that he's being deliberately obnoxious for reasons of his own.
KendallB
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by KendallB »

Historical inaccuracies on the cover never harmed the sales of Flames of War.
nickdives
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by nickdives »

Whatever, the artwork has not put me off starting my Hat 28mm Bavarians in anticipation!
Old_Warrior
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by Old_Warrior »

First question: this guy, Dave Hollins. He cannot be the author, right? I know that he and another fellow not to be named got into it on the Napoleon Series forum a lot but is this just someone using his name?

Second question: Please tell me that they are only having ONE round of Impact or Melee or whatever you want to call it. Napoleonics was not the Roman legions vs. the Barbarian horde. Melees were merely a test of wills and they were over very quickly with one side falling back after a rousing volley of muskets. Usually the attacker ...

It was not hack and slash as per Hollywood ... :wink:

Ciudad Rodrigo and Badajoz and a few others fights being the exception.
BrettPT
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by BrettPT »

Old_Warrior wrote:Please tell me that they are only having ONE round of Impact or Melee
In 100+ play test games I have had or seen, I can only recall a single instance of a combat going into a second round (apart from an early re-fight of Waterloo where we got the rules wrong and ended up having a 6 round ongoing fight for Hougomont...)

Cheers
Brett
nosher
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by nosher »

Old_Warrior wrote:Melees were merely a test of wills and they were over very quickly with one side falling back after a rousing volley of muskets. Usually the attacker ...
You'll be a fan of the British then :lol:

Equally I am hoping that British line wont be an uber shooty army
nickdives

Post by nickdives »

I just hope that my pretty new Bavarians will put up a good fight!!!
terrys
Panzer Corps Team
Panzer Corps Team

Post by terrys »

Equally I am hoping that British line wont be an uber shooty army
Not particularly. They're slightly better than an average opponent but it's their staying power that gives them the their biggest advantage.
nosher
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by nosher »

Noticed that in the shop the release date has been set as 15.03.2012 :D

Is this date set in stone? or is it *moveable*
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

Only if the boat sinks
jDM
nosher
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by nosher »

jdm wrote:Only if the boat sinks
jDM
I'm sure theres a joke there about italian cruise liners but probably a bit too soon... :shock:
timmy1
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn
Lieutenant-General - Nashorn

Post by timmy1 »

Slitherine do have an office in Milan...
DaveHollins
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Field Of Glory: Napoleonic Coming in March 2012!

Post by DaveHollins »

No surprise to see the idiotic remarks coming from Osprey's much beloved Yanks.

Yes, why not just paint them yellow, give them repeating weapons and have them fight in triangular formations? It is only a game after all - well, except some gamers seem to think they have the knowledge to pronounce on the historical reality, because of something they read in the rules or indeed saw on the illustrated cover. After all, the British were always best, because they fought in the major battles involving hundreds of thousands of troops and massed batteries in central Europe.

Just don't come asking for the historical reality on which (hopefully) rule sets are at least based.
donm
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by donm »

Dave,

Good to see you haven't changed that old drum of yours.

Full marks to FoG for not censoring adverse comments.

I have played the rules and think they give a good representation of battles from the period.

This is probably the best we can hope for without actually being there.

Don
DaveHollins

Post by DaveHollins »

Since his and the other thread, I have had a few requests for information, which would have required a lot of digging around and my time, let alone writing it all up. But you know, I thought of you lot, who tell me it doesn't matter. So, I just didn't answer - that is what your stupid comments result in.

Incidentally, there won't be an Austrian tactics book in the Osprey Elite series for the immediate future as someone else will have to do it. Also, the new heavy cavalry one might appeal to you lot as it is clearly written by someone, who has no grasp of the Austrian cavalry. Still, carry on with your gaming - it doesn't reflect the reality!
hazelbark
General - Carrier
General - Carrier

Post by hazelbark »

Hollins, just so know. Slitherine and Opsrey have parted ways. The only tie remaining I think is the distribution of leftover books. So your pursuit of your dispute with Osprey here, does not help your cause.
DaveHollins

Post by DaveHollins »

Glad to see Slitherine have seen the error of their ways. However I have learned quite a lot about elements of the wargaming community and why I shouldn't bother doing any more research.

As for Osprey - they have chucked about £1/2 million on an ABN-Amro type purchase and cashflow appears to be a problem necessitating a recent floating charge on assets. The USD has also declined about 8% against the UKP since last summer. Just shows I need not bother!
shnirubas
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by shnirubas »

Hello from 2020 :D

Return to “Field of Glory : Napoleonic Era 1792-1815 : General Discussion”