Counters

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Bern
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Counters

Post by Bern » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:34 pm

I always play with the counters, but I'm not too keen on those currently provided. I'd quite like to give a more 3D appearance to them, but I'm not sure of the current 'construction. Would I be right in thinking that there is a kind of transparent bitmap - 64 x 64, upon which is built the unit counter together with the national flag and strength.

Bern

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:29 am

Yes thats pretty much it - edit the images and you'll see your changes in game. Keep a backup in case you break something!

Bern

Post by Bern » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:41 pm

Many thanks - I'm actually really good at breaking things :D .

My problem(s) I suppose are one, lack of facilities to do the job properly and, two, a total lack of skill. That apart, sounds easy peasy.

So far, I've managed to get the actual unit counter pretty much the way I wanted it, but simply cannot get the tranparency of the base bitmap right, so I end up with a big white square with mi' nice new counter sitting there mocking me. It's probably because I'm using a v.v. old freeware painting prog.

Likely best if I give up now and wait for someone who knows what they're doing :D .

Bern

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:56 am

The transparency is set in the alpha channel. You need a tool that allows you to edit the alpha channel - Photoshop or some such program. The alpha channel is a black/white image that determines how transaprent each pixel is.

Bern

Post by Bern » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:47 am

Thanks - I thought something of the sort was the problem. Clearly I'm lacking the tools and equipment!

Bern

dooya

Post by dooya » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:12 pm

Bern wrote:Many thanks - I'm actually really good at breaking things :D .

My problem(s) I suppose are one, lack of facilities to do the job properly and, two, a total lack of skill. That apart, sounds easy peasy.

So far, I've managed to get the actual unit counter pretty much the way I wanted it, but simply cannot get the tranparency of the base bitmap right, so I end up with a big white square with mi' nice new counter sitting there mocking me. It's probably because I'm using a v.v. old freeware painting prog.

Likely best if I give up now and wait for someone who knows what they're doing :D .

Bern
Please note that bitmaps do not support transparency. You have to create PNG graphics to use transparency.
No quote - No bullshit!

Bern

Post by Bern » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:43 pm

Thanks - I stumbled onto that. I really am not up to this; should just stick to playing the game I guess, photoshop and stuff being beyond my reach.

Bern

Return to “Commander - Napoleon at War : Tech Support”