game not working

Moderator: Slitherine Core

joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

game not working

Post by joerock22 »

I downloaded the game and clicked on the desktop shortcut, but nothing happens. I tried the shortcut in the actual Slitherine folder too. I also tried reinstalling, but that didn't work either. Any idea what's going on?
Thanks
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

If you are in Vista: Can you right click the shortcut file and choose "Run as Administrator"
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We'll need details of your system specs and your order number to try and work this out. This is the first problem with CNAW so far, so we've got nothing to compare it with and make suggestions until we get more info.
joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 »

My hard drive is an AMD 2500+ w/ 1.75 GHz and 1.00 Gb RAM. My display adapter is a Radeon 9600 series. I don't know what else you might need or where in device manager to find it. This computer was built by a friend of my dad's, but it's the best PC I've ever owned and Commander: Europe at War works just fine. My operating system is Windows XP Professional. I tried uninstalling, redownloading, and reinstalling but that didn't work. I also tried right clicking on the icon and choosing run as administrator and DFI (me), but I that didn't work either. My order number is 4214647014.
I will be away from my PC for a couple days, so I won't be able to try any fixes until Sunday night. I will have my laptop with me, so I'll be able to check for replies, though. I have yet to see if my download works on Windows Vista.
Thanks, and it there's anything else you need let me know.
firepowerjohan
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by firepowerjohan »

Is Commander Europe at War currently working on that same machine or only from earlier experience? Trying to cinclude whether something happneed on your machine causing both to mal function.
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 »

Yes, CEAW is still working on my PC. I installed CNAW on my laptop, and it works on Vista. I noticed that the first thing that pops up after you install it is the command prompt, asking you to put in your graphic settings. Could something be wrong with my command prompt, because it never pops up? The command prompt works when I manually start it, so it's not 'broken.'
Like I said, I got CNAW to work on my laptop, so it's not the absolute end of the world if I can't play it on my PC.
Last edited by joerock22 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timrt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by timrt »

Can I also add to this problem. I have run, played & enjoyed CEAW. I have purchased CNAW & installed on my Dell Vista MC, run as adminstrator & I can open the Menu page. I press Play & I get a run error message (Black box, Java mentioned but all too quicly to read - I have the latest Java version). I have gone to the main .exe programmes & enavbled compatability mode.

All to no avail - 1 game - no can play - very frustrating! :cry:
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Have you already tried a fresh reinstall of your Java and the game? Just to be sure nothing is corrupted.

Tim aka LZ
timrt
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by timrt »

I have uninstalled the game, updated Java, reinstalled, Set the menu to run as admisitrator - I wonder if somehow I have not set the correct programme to run as Windows 98 compatable?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you are having problems. Just to clarify - for people who are uable to run CNAW, are you able to run CEAW on the same machine without issues or are you running it on a different machine?
Elio
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by Elio »

I cant get the game working either. When you click on the PLAY link, a dos box flashs open with a message but shuts immediately. The message is

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: CNAW"

The OS is Windows XP and the version of java I have is

java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)

Please help. I will post this at Matrix Software to see if they can help also.

Thanks.
Elio

Post by Elio »

OK, I've got a work around that gets it going.

Instead of trying to run game from Menu, which would not work for me, open up a dos box and change directory to where you installed the game. eg C:\Matrix Games\Commander - Napoleon At War>

Then type at the command line

java -Xms256m -Xmx512m -classpath . CNAW

It then works fine.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Thanks for the info - glad you got it working!
joerock22
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by joerock22 »

Elio wrote:OK, I've got a work around that gets it going.

Instead of trying to run game from Menu, which would not work for me, open up a dos box and change directory to where you installed the game. eg C:\Matrix Games\Commander - Napoleon At War>

Then type at the command line

java -Xms256m -Xmx512m -classpath . CNAW

It then works fine.
You're right; it does work! I right clicked on the desktop shortcut and went to properties, then replaced the code at the end of the target line with your code. Thanks so much for the fix! Now I don't have leave my laptop on all night to play pbem games. :D
stevenbrmbly

Post by stevenbrmbly »

Hi all. Same problem for me. Game running fine one day then nothing the next. Just get a quick sight of a blank black box then it disappears again. The fix above dosn't work for this one. The game is a download but over 30 days old and I haven't a copy to reinstall it unfortunately.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry you are having probelms. What exactly have you tried to get this working? When did it stop working? Have you installed any windows updates since the last time it worked? Do you have CEAW on this machine and does it run?
stevenbrmbly

Post by stevenbrmbly »

Hi. I have tried running the game as administrator but that dosn't6 help and I tried the fix earlier in this thread. Still nothing I'm afraid. I can't check if CEAW runs on the PC because I don't have the activation code to install it. (It did work but the PC crashed earlier this year and I had to do a full reboot which cleared the programs (I lost the manual so I can't reinstall it).

Steve
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

stevenbrmbly wrote:Hi. I have tried running the game as administrator but that dosn't6 help and I tried the fix earlier in this thread. Still nothing I'm afraid. I can't check if CEAW runs on the PC because I don't have the activation code to install it. (It did work but the PC crashed earlier this year and I had to do a full reboot which cleared the programs (I lost the manual so I can't reinstall it).

Steve

You bought from Slitherine, Matrixgames or anywhere else?
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
dinamite
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by dinamite »

Elio wrote:I cant get the game working either. When you click on the PLAY link, a dos box flashs open with a message but shuts immediately. The message is

"Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: CNAW"

The OS is Windows XP and the version of java I have is

java version "1.6.0_07"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)

Please help. I will post this at Matrix Software to see if they can help also.

Thanks.
I have a similar problem with CEaW
Does anyone know how to help?

The Shortcuts target is:
"C:\Program Files\Slitherine\Military History Commander - Europe at War GOLD\jre\bin\java.exe" -Xss20m -Xms400m -Xmx800m -classpath . CEAW 14100
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Are you having trouble with Commander Europe at War or Commander Napoleon at War?

Return to “Commander - Napoleon at War : Tech Support”