Frequently asked questions or FAQ

Moderator: Slitherine Core

lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Frequently asked questions or FAQ

Post by lordzimoa »

1) How do I change low/high specification since it only show up first time I played the game?

In game user path, set the "LOW_RAM 0" in the settings.txt file and save it, next run you will get back the spec popup.

2) Why can I not use the inner zoom?

Running game in low specification removes some performance demanding features in game i.e. hex tinting and inner zoom. See the first question how to change the low/high settings again.

3) I selected the wrong flag on language selection popup and now the game wont start, what should I do?

Instead of reinstalling the game, simply go into settings.txt file in game user path and edit "LANGUAGE 0" and save the file, next run you will get the language popup.

4) I cannot load a PBEM game?

You should pick "Load Multiplayer" NOT "Load Game" in the main menu to load a PBEM.

5) I used a modded scenario and now game does not work. How do I fix it?

Reinstall the game (or latest patch) or just replace the data folder with a backup one of the original. Furthermore delete the "my documents/Commander Napoleon at War" folder so that game recreates it and recompiles the scenarios.
Last edited by lordzimoa on Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:17 am, edited 10 times in total.
Espejo
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by Espejo »

:?: Reading teh Manual there should be 3 zoom levels. Running on low specification. I can only get ..overview and small units. Nearly unplayable. Is this on purpose?
firepowerjohan
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by firepowerjohan »

Sombra wrote::?: Reading teh Manual there should be 3 zoom levels. Running on low specification. I can only get ..overview and small units. Nearly unplayable. Is this on purpose?
Yes, low spec 512 MB machines are unfortunately not our target group and cannot expect to have all the extras available. But, game is playable on mid zoom if you have a large display, I use 22 inch wide and prefer mid zoom.
Johan Persson - Firepower Entertainment
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

the settings.txt used for modifying language or ram usage is not anymore in root path but instead in user path. Should exist in /user/cnaw
Lead Developer of CEAW, CNAW and World Empires Live (http://www.worldempireslive.com)
Espejo

Post by Espejo »

"Yes, low spec 512 MB machines are unfortunately not our target group and cannot expect to have all the extras available. But, game is playable on mid zoom if you have a large screen"

:x Fulll details super, fast performance I dont expect if I buy a game and I dont all the recommended spefcificatiosn. But I expect that the basic features and a sufficient zoom factor to play on a smaller than 22" screen work.

Very disappointed
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry if you're having problems but its exactly like in CEAW.

The game is very playable on the mid zoom - many players never use anything else as it gives you a better overview. If you find the units hard to see on the mid soom you can use counters?

With most PC games there are improved graphical features if you have a higher spec machine.
lordzimoa
Lordz Games Studio
Lordz Games Studio

Post by lordzimoa »

Iain or Johan, better sticky this one on top.
groundhog
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by groundhog »

hello i just installed cnaw and it wont play
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

Please start up a new thread (it make it much easier to keep track of when people's problems get solved) and include a little more detail about your problem. We need your system specifications (version of Windows, RAM, video card, CPU) and the version of the game you have. Also describe exactly what you do and don't see when you try and run the game.

Cheers

Pip
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

groundhog wrote:hello i just installed cnaw and it wont play
Did you buy from Slitherine or Matrix?
groundhog

Post by groundhog »

firepowerjohan wrote:
groundhog wrote:hello i just installed cnaw and it wont play
Did you buy from Slitherine or Matrix?
Hello i bought the game from matrix i have 512 ram 2.5 ghz 32 mb on the vc and 15 left on the hard drive i have installed in many times when i am done and hit play a small box appears and go away very fast cany read it i did that a few times and was able t osee teh word java

after looking at the thing i am pretty sure the box says this

excepetion in thread "main" java. lang. no class def found errors; cnaw
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

Have you tried installing into a different path. I would normally say it is a memory problem if you run High Spec on a low Spec machine but your error message indicates a path problem. Where did you install the game?
groundhog

Post by groundhog »

firepowerjohan wrote:Have you tried installing into a different path. I would normally say it is a memory problem if you run High Spec on a low Spec machine but your error message indicates a path problem. Where did you install the game?
well i will be honest with you i am a low tech person but because of a recent disability i am looking for wyas to amuse myself and take up some time so im new to gaming so when u say what path i did i have no idea i will tell u that when i put it in teh cd it did not start up so i went to add programs and hit the add program button
groundhog

Post by groundhog »

groundhog wrote:
firepowerjohan wrote:Have you tried installing into a different path. I would normally say it is a memory problem if you run High Spec on a low Spec machine but your error message indicates a path problem. Where did you install the game?
well i will be honest with you i am a low tech person but because of a recent disability i am looking for wyas to amuse myself and take up some time so im new to gaming so when u say what path i did i have no idea i will tell u that when i put it in teh cd it did not start up so i went to add programs and hit the add program button

it was installed at C:\Matrix Games\Commander-Napoleo At War
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

groundhog wrote:
groundhog wrote:

it was installed at C:\Matrix Games\Commander-Napoleo At War
ah, I forgot from earlier you had Matrix version not Slitherine. They have their own installer and since this seem to be a path problem you should hear with their customer support.
firepowerjohan

Post by firepowerjohan »

Could expand the list, I was not able to edit the initial post.

6. I used a modded scenario and now game does not work. How do I fix it?[/b]
Reinstall the game (or latest patch) or just replace the data foldr with a backup one of the original. Furthermore delete the "my documents/Commander Napoleon at War" folder so that game recreates it and recompiles the scenarios.
MartyWard
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Re: Frequently asked questions or FAQ

Post by MartyWard »

I am trying to switch to the higher RAM setting but I must be missing something. Even uninstalling and re-installing doesn't give me the choice again. What am I missing? Where do you go to get the Low Ram 0 and what do you do, change it to 1 or what?
Thanks.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

MartyWard wrote:I am trying to switch to the higher RAM setting but I must be missing something. Even uninstalling and re-installing doesn't give me the choice again. What am I missing? Where do you go to get the Low Ram 0 and what do you do, change it to 1 or what?
Thanks.
Delete a file named settings.txt that can be found in a subfolder named Commander - Napoleon at War inside the Windows documents folder.
MartyWard

Post by MartyWard »

Thanks. That did the trick.

Return to “Commander - Napoleon at War : Tech Support”