Continuing problems with 1.06

Moderator: Slitherine Core

SailingGuy
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 232 8Rad

Continuing problems with 1.06

Post by SailingGuy »

Game seems to be stable under 1.00, but as soon as I upgrade to 1.06 problems arise.

Last week I couldn't get the game to load (it would sit there with the "loading" message for 20 minutes before I got impatient and rebooted). So I uninstalled and reinstalled and then was able to get the game to load. However, now I only have two zoom levels: tiny and small. No large icons. Another uninstall and reinstall later, and still the same problem.

If I don't turn off the music, I eventually get a repeating staccato feedback (although I get that with C:EAW as well) that drowns out the game sound effects.

Not sure what is going on. Any help will be appreciated. I can live without the music, but I need the multiple levels of zoom.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The reason you dont have the zoom level is because at some point you must have said your machine was low spec? On low spec machines you dont see the inner zoom.

You can manually edit your settings.txt file to change this, though it will require more RAM and might run slower if you do.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

See the FAQ for info

1) How do I change low/high specification since it only show up first time I played the game?

In game user path, set the "LOW_RAM 0" in the settings.txt file and save it, next run you will get back the spec popup.

2) Why can I not use the inner zoom?

Running game in low specification removes some performance demanding features in game i.e. hex tinting and inner zoom. See the first question how to change the low/high settings again.
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

It already says "LOW_RAM 0". What do I change it to?

I don't remember ever specifying a "low tech" machine. Why would it pick up that info even after I uninstalled and reinstalled?

Thanks for your quick response.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

The settings file is created after installation, so it is nto removed when you uninstall and is not added when you install.

If this is set to 0 then it should allow all 3 zoom levels. Can you retry. Be sure to edit the file in the folder you are running the game from. If you installed multiple times you may have mroe than 1 copy of the game on your PC?
SailingGuy

Post by SailingGuy »

That was it. Multiple "setting.txt" files. Found the one that had "LOW_RAM 1" and changed it to "LOW_RAM 0". Of course now the program won't load.

In the past I've been able to run C:NAW with all three levels of zoom. It occurs to me that I must be running something in the background that is using up too many system resources to allow C:NAW to run with full zooming. Does that make sense?

It appears that I can run C:NAW 1.00 with no problems (full zoom), but when I add C:NAW 1.06, I can't run the game if I want to zoom. Funny thing is, I have no problems with C:EAW GS 1.06. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help.

Return to “Commander - Napoleon at War : Tech Support”