Pip 07July08

Slitherine Team Blogs. Written by the team to give you a behind the scenes picture.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pip 07July08

Post by pipfromslitherine »

<p>Still continuing with the multiplayer. One of the worst things is the time it takes to run a simple test, with 2 machines and so double the clicks, then going from one to the other etc. But the multi is one element that it is very hard to remove from the equation!</p>
<p>It's required a slightly different approach, as we don't use realtime order entry, but instead have restricted number of points where either player can pause the battle, and then both can enter orders. It will certainly add another layer to MP gaming, as when you use your ordering ability will be as important as what you do with it. I am sure the logic will need tweaking once we get the game out into wider testing than just me!</p>
<p>The rest of the game is looking fairly solid at the moment though, and we have gained some good components which will be well placed for our ongoing games. The scripting system especially I want to use a lot more, exposing combat model equations and the like, as this will improve the ability of designers to iterate ideas without needing me to code things. The scripting system is very lightweight, and runs quickly enough that we can use it for a lot more than just mission logic - which is its prime function now. On the other hand, having a scripting language for missions should allow for some pretty varied user campaigns once the finished game ships.</p>
<p> </p>

Return to “Blogs”