A fun tactic to try

PC/MAC : Turn based Empire building in the ancient Greek World.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

vakarr
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

A fun tactic to try

Post by vakarr »

Hi, I am running the Lydian/"arrival of the Persians" scenario and attacked a Cnidian force of Astynomia with a superior force that included a general with just a few battles under his belt and no modifications. I had planned to "long halt" my battle line while three cavalry units swept around the flank, but forgot to halt the general, who was in the middle of the battle line. I start the battle and watch in dismay as the general goes out all on his own against the entire enemy army. I watch in disbelief as he is SURROUNDED by I don't know how many units of Astynomia and fights on, on his own supported only by some archery from my Parthian archers. Well, expecting to see him die any second, I tell the rest of the army to charge in, just as the flank marchers arrive. Result? The circle of enemy troops is surrounded, in a nice crcle that enables all the attacking troops get the general's encouragement. The general survives, does a lot of casualties himself, the enemy is quickly routed, and I didn't suffer a single casualty to my entire army!!!! :lol:
dithyrambos
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Re: A fun tactic to try

Post by dithyrambos »

vakarr wrote:Hi, I am running the Lydian/"arrival of the Persians" scenario and attacked a Cnidian force of Astynomia with a superior force that included a general with just a few battles under his belt and no modifications. I had planned to "long halt" my battle line while three cavalry units swept around the flank, but forgot to halt the general, who was in the middle of the battle line. I start the battle and watch in dismay as the general goes out all on his own against the entire enemy army. I watch in disbelief as he is SURROUNDED by I don't know how many units of Astynomia and fights on, on his own supported only by some archery from my Parthian archers. Well, expecting to see him die any second, I tell the rest of the army to charge in, just as the flank marchers arrive. Result? The circle of enemy troops is surrounded, in a nice crcle that enables all the attacking troops get the general's encouragement. The general survives, does a lot of casualties himself, the enemy is quickly routed, and I didn't suffer a single casualty to my entire army!!!! :lol:
:shock: That is pretty cool, vakarr. It's too bad we can't save battle replays in this game. That would've been awesome to watch! 8)
"Now Dithyrambos, the Thespian captain... by trade an architect and by no means a professional soldier, had already distinguished himself with such magnificent courage throughout the day..." From Steven Pressfield's Gates of Fire
anguille
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by anguille »

Nice job! Those generals are pretty tough!

Don't forget however, that the general on screen represents the general AND his personal troops/guards.
coldknight
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by coldknight »

Congrats :D, good job, and thanks for the tip :)
olliebark
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by olliebark »

nice one :shock: ... i might try that at some point... sounds tricky though :?
Redpossum
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41
Brigadier-General - 8.8 cm Pak 43/41

Post by Redpossum »

I used to make a habit of that, in the early game. Then I lost a general doing it.

The Astynomia do have a chance to kill him, just not a very good chance.

Return to “Spartan & Gates of Troy”