Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #9

Post by PeteMitchell »

Rudankort wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:27 pm
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:46 pm Will the game be able to support big maps as well, e.g. as with the current Battlefield Europe mod there are 175x113 hexes while Northern Scandinavia and Kola Peninsula with Murmansk (as well as parts of the Persian Corridor) are not even on the map yet... so let's say can the new PzC2 game support maps with around 200x150 hexes (and how many units max)? :mrgreen:
We use converted map from Battlefield Europe as one of our stress tests. I must admit that right now performance with this map is not stellar, and it uses lots of memory. :) We may need to break the map into pieces, unload/reload them on demand etc. At some point in development I hope to revisit this problem.
Thanks Rudankort for taking the time to reply to our questions.

I am not sure I fully understand what breaking the map into pieces and/or unloading/reloading them on demand may mean “in practical terms” when playing a map of that size with such an amazing mod... and I also don’t really have to… :lol:

However, if it takes too much time/effort to fix it right now… I would like to suggest to prepare PzC2 in such a way that it is sufficiently scalable in future, i.e. so that PzC2 could be adjusted in way (in future) to be able to accommodate such a map/mod/DLC as part of a later/next version release, please. :D
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
jomni
Sengoku Jidai
Sengoku Jidai

Post by jomni »

We have lots of random maps battles in Field of Glory 2 and a lot of people are playing them including myself. This is a welcome addition to the often “puzzle like” “beat the clock” scenarios of the campaign.
hs1611
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by hs1611 »

Rudankort wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:29 pm
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:58 pm Please allow one question regarding the available equipment, will this be alliance and/or nation specific, e.g. Axis vs. Allies, i.e. Germany/Italy/Hungary/Romania/Japan/etc. vs. Soviet Union/US/UK/France/etc. OR will everyone just have the same equipment?
By default, random generator assigns a single nation to each player. This means that in a team mission, up to two different nations can exist in each team.

If you want any other configuration, you can generate a random map inside the editor, and then adjust any parameters you want, for example give any combination of nations to every player on the map.
I think that what PeteMitchell_2 was asking is if you can have an Axis nation in the same team with an Allied nation, for example a team with Russia and Italy.
If that wasn't the question I apologize, but I would like to know anyway.

Two other items:
1 - HEX GRID - Personally I prefer a more defined grid. Since some people don't I suggest an option to control the thickness of the grid.
2 - SHROUD - Seems like a good idea for RANDOM scenarios. Nevertheless I urge scenario/campaign designers NOT to use it on WW2/historical scenarios/campaigns. It would make no sense since I believe everybody knew where everybodyelse's cities were, as well as where the swamps/forests/mountains/etc... were.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

hs1611 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:15 pm I think that what PeteMitchell_2 was asking is if you can have an Axis nation in the same team with an Allied nation, for example a team with Russia and Italy.
If that wasn't the question I apologize, but I would like to know anyway.
Yes, you can have any combination of nations in a team if you want. We don't impose any artificial limits here, you are free to explore any alternative history or entirely fictional setup.
hs1611 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:15 pm 1 - HEX GRID - Personally I prefer a more defined grid. Since some people don't I suggest an option to control the thickness of the grid.
Grid strength is controlled by a slider, so anything from zero (no grid) to 100% (black) can be chosen.
hs1611 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:15 pm 2 - SHROUD - Seems like a good idea for RANDOM scenarios. Nevertheless I urge scenario/campaign designers NOT to use it on WW2/historical scenarios/campaigns. It would make no sense since I believe everybody knew where everybodyelse's cities were, as well as where the swamps/forests/mountains/etc... were.
Yes of course, I don't expect any historical campaign to use shroud by default, it makes little historical sense. However, I expect that you will be able to turn it on in advanced options if you want, just like you can turn on/off weather, supply and fog of war. This option could be used to compensate your prior knowledge of the map from previous playthrough: even though you will remember where approximately all objects were, you won't know with 100% precision.
hs1611

Post by hs1611 »

Nice, thanks.
MjrOu812
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by MjrOu812 »

From what I see this is not going to be a direct sequel....far from the core roots of the first, not saying this is bad, but its got me concerned? Will see?
Retributarr
Lieutenant Colonel - Panther D

Post by Retributarr »

MjrOu812 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 pm From what I see this is not going to be a direct sequel....far from the core roots of the first, not saying this is bad, but its got me concerned? Will see?
Much of what is discussed at this forum will be subject to either accepting the modification's as presented in the game, or switching them off if they are deemed un-desireable'...or to one's disliking.
MjrOu812

Post by MjrOu812 »

Retributarr wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:13 pm
MjrOu812 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:46 pm From what I see this is not going to be a direct sequel....far from the core roots of the first, not saying this is bad, but its got me concerned? Will see?
Much of what is discussed at this forum will be subject to either accepting the modification's as presented in the game, or switching them off if they are deemed un-desireable'...or to one's disliking.
I did not say I disliked anything about the game, I hope it turns out twice as good as the first, my only concerned is I hope they don't go to far from the first....that's all.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Rudankort wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:44 pmYes, you can have any combination of nations in a team if you want.
So if there's a shortage of ideas for future dev diaries, which there might be especially as the years of development turn into decades, perhaps we could have some that focus on specific unit types, eg. recon, which you've discussed in bits and pieces, and infantry which dissapeared from all discussion after the first dev diary or two.
PeteMitchell
Major-General - Tiger I
Major-General - Tiger I

Post by PeteMitchell »

Is there a release plan for the next few dev diaries, i.e. what will be covered and when will it be shown?

Maybe we could do those more frequently too, i.e. to gain some more momentum (in the discussion)? On the previous naval dev diaries we discussed several other topics until the next dev diary came out… ;)
Comprehensive Battlefield Europe AAR:
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=145&t=86481
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

This impression might be based on the fact that in dev diaries I usually discuss changes and novelties, instead of reiterating features which existed in Panzer Corps and which most people on this forum are already familiar with. I think that most Panzer Corps players will feel themselves instantly at home with Panzer Corps 2, because core game mechanics, especially in ground war, are fundamentally the same.
proline wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:45 am So if there's a shortage of ideas for future dev diaries, which there might be especially as the years of development turn into decades, perhaps we could have some that focus on specific unit types, eg. recon, which you've discussed in bits and pieces, and infantry which dissapeared from all discussion after the first dev diary or two.
My preliminary plan was to make a single one focused on unit classes and their roles at some point, but if there is too much material, maybe splitting it into a few parts might be a good idea.
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:05 am Is there a release plan for the next few dev diaries, i.e. what will be covered and when will it be shown?
There is a big list of ideas but no plan set in stone, so I can be more flexible and react to what you guys want to read. As an example, I did not plan to write about naval war in dev diary #8, but since several people requested it, I raised priority of this particular topic. I'm willing to make one on AI as soon as possible, because it is another topic widely requested, but it's more difficult than others, because I want to do some good demos instead of a list of unproven claims of how great the AI is going to be.
PeteMitchell_2 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:05 am Maybe we could do those more frequently too, i.e. to gain some more momentum (in the discussion)? On the previous naval dev diaries we discussed several other topics until the next dev diary came out… ;)
It would be nice. Main problem is that I have so many other responsibilities in this project, writing more frequent diaries is going to slow down other things in development. But I'll see what I can do.
MjrOu812

Post by MjrOu812 »

Ok rudankort…I trust what you say, I just want pc2 to be just as good as the first, I am a old school player that goes way back to panzer general 2 days and played and knew guys like steve, adler and others who took the game as far as they could in terms of upgrading it...keep up the good work! Cheers
kondi754
General - Elite King Tiger

Post by kondi754 »

I'm also terrified of these screenshots.
These random maps which are being talked about all along and on the other hand the total lack of any information about historical campaigns and battles :?
I've had enough stories about random maps :evil: :!: :!: :!: :!: and screenshots showing the achievements of graphic designers
Now, MUST BE in the end something about what is most important in Slitherine games, so how Devs will adapt the history of World War II in this new version of the game.
I expect the details !!! :wink:
ptje63
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Post by ptje63 »

So many players - so many preferences ;-). I do like the random maps, in other games it provided a never ending option to keep playing the game, long after the regular (historical) scenarios have been played. The emphasize, as only natural, is on the historical maps, but I guess PC2 will provide those. That is: comparing the PG 1 and 2 maps with Google Maps I did spot the occasional errors.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Alexej wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 am Possible we can see some screens of the upcoming campaign ?
kondi754 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:40 am Now, MUST BE in the end something about what is most important in Slitherine games, so how Devs will adapt the history of World War II in this new version of the game.
We are going to show a lot of screenshots from the real campaign, you will get tired of them. :) I'm waiting till all the required assets are in place, and we can start posting those. As for random maps, I had to explain what this new feature includes, but this was the last post about them. No more random maps going forwards. :)
kondi754

Post by kondi754 »

Retributarr

Post by Retributarr »

Rudankort wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:00 pm
Alexej wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:56 am Possible we can see some screens of the upcoming campaign ?
kondi754 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:40 am Now, MUST BE in the end something about what is most important in Slitherine games, so how Devs will adapt the history of World War II in this new version of the game.
We are going to show a lot of screenshots from the real campaign, you will get tired of them. :) I'm waiting till all the required assets are in place, and we can start posting those. As for random maps, I had to explain what this new feature includes, but this was the last post about them. No more random maps going forwards. :)
"Ye of little faith!"...or to be more correct on this...is when 'Peter' saw 'Jesus' walking on water in the stormy Galilean Sea, he...then...without thinking about his actual surroundings, hurridly dashed out to join him on the water. Finally...once realizing where he actually was...as well as now being cognitive of the prevailing weather conditions...'Peter' became greatly fearful and was now rapidly beginning to doubt...'to lose faith' and then he started to sink into the sea.

This is where 'Jesus' said..."You with little faith, why did you give way to doubt?".

Be positive 'Guys'...give the developers the benefit of the doubt.
proline

Post by proline »

Rudankort wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:29 amMy preliminary plan was to make a single one focused on unit classes and their roles at some point, but if there is too much material, maybe splitting it into a few parts might be a good idea.
It sort of depends when the beta is coming out. If we're still talking years, then one update for each class is a good way to pass the time. If its months, then maybe one update would be fine.

Btw, did you ever change anything to make bridging engineers work other than on scenarios specifically designed for them? Like exempting them from the river move penalty so they can move onto a river from two hexes away would make a big difference.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

proline wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:52 pm Btw, did you ever change anything to make bridging engineers work other than on scenarios specifically designed for them? Like exempting them from the river move penalty so they can move onto a river from two hexes away would make a big difference.
I still consider bridge engineers a specialized unit, which is unlikely to participate in each and every scenario, but yes, their movement table is adjusted, so that they don't need to stand next to a river in order to enter it.
mj43
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by mj43 »

wauv.. Is that a T26 Heavy tank in one of the screenshots !!.
I do believe only 1 prototype was made of them.
Whats next ? The Landkreuzer P.1000 Ratte ?

Return to “News & Announcements”