Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #6

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Re: Panzer Corps 2 - Dev Diary #6

Post by Rudankort »

Flynnstone03 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:17 am Everything looks great! I just have a quick question for the devs though. In one of the previous Dev Diaries it said the rosters of more minor nations would be expanded. How much does this apply to France? Will we see tanks like the ARL44 in the game? I'm asking because I like to design campaigns where it's possible for the allies to hold onto France. With that in mind it would be great if France had access to more advanced equipment so they can still play a active role in the scenarios after 1940 when all their tanks start to become obsolete.

(This was reposted from a different dev diary because my question was never answered)
Yes, sorry, I still need to go through that dev diary and answer pending questions, because I did not manage to do it at the time when it was published.

Alas, although french unit roster was expanded slightly, this does not include ARL44 or any other heavier and more advanced tanks than they already have. We felt that as a country which fought mostly in 1940 France was already well fleshed out, with lots of native tanks and aircraft. So, priority has been given to countries like Italy, Hungary and Romania which fought through the entire war, although other countries, like Poland, Slovakia and even Belgium and Netherlands also got expanded.

This does not mean that France will not be expanded in the future, especially if we get to a dedicated campaign for France at some point. But in 1.0 things will stand as I've described.
proline
2nd Lieutenant - Panzer IVF/2

Post by proline »

Rudankort wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:52 pmpriority has been given to countries like Italy, Hungary and Romania which fought through the entire war, although other countries, like Poland, Slovakia and even Belgium and Netherlands also got expanded.
Umm, pretty sure Canada fought through more of the war than several of the countries you named. Plus fleshing out Canada doesn't even require you to make new unit models. Just give Canada the units that it historically had, like destroyers, Spitfires and Lancasters, that are already in the game anyways.
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

proline wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:26 pm Umm, pretty sure Canada fought through more of the war than several of the countries you named. Plus fleshing out Canada doesn't even require you to make new unit models. Just give Canada the units that it historically had, like destroyers, Spitfires and Lancasters, that are already in the game anyways.
I was talking specifically about producing additional unique 3D models. Of course, "fleshing out" any nation the way you describe is no problem and will be done (and if we forget anything, hopefully beta testers will remind us :) ).
13obo
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by 13obo »

I like the idea of fleshing out nations from start to finish with their (mostly) complete unit lists, and then going for DLCs and etc later. This way you can prepare the ground, so to speak, while subsequent DLCs can focus on scenarios/campaigns, without worrying (too much) about unit balance, and creating just a few extra units.
goose_2
Tournament Organizer of the Year 2017

Post by goose_2 »

Rudankort wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:53 pm
proline wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 3:26 pm Umm, pretty sure Canada fought through more of the war than several of the countries you named. Plus fleshing out Canada doesn't even require you to make new unit models. Just give Canada the units that it historically had, like destroyers, Spitfires and Lancasters, that are already in the game anyways.
I was talking specifically about producing additional unique 3D models. Of course, "fleshing out" any nation the way you describe is no problem and will be done (and if we forget anything, hopefully beta testers will remind us :) ).
Looking forward to the Beta testing on these aspects of the game, mostly want to see balancing on mp, and how that plays out in mp
goose_2
Lutheran Multiplayer Tournament Organizer. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRHQShaOv5PWoer6cP1syLQ
Ursa MAior
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by Ursa MAior »

Isn't launch set to happen soon (this year)?
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Ursa MAior wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:24 pm Isn't launch set to happen soon (this year)?
As 2018 is coming to an end, we are getting a lot of questions about the Panzer Corps 2 release date. Unfortunately, by now it has become clear that we won’t be able to release the game this year. This is something which some of you have already guessed, but we wanted to confirm it here so that there are no unrealistic expectations.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

goose_2 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:08 pm Looking forward to the Beta testing on these aspects of the game, mostly want to see balancing on mp, and how that plays out in mp
I wouldn't expect to see MP arrive early in the BETA process, whenever the BETA process starts. Even if it was there, you wouldn't see any balancing on MP style content anyways. The the content creators need to get a firm grasp on the basics before anything more advanced can be worked on. ;)
Ursa MAior

Post by Ursa MAior »

Kerensky wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 pm
Ursa MAior wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:24 pm Isn't launch set to happen soon (this year)?
As 2018 is coming to an end, we are getting a lot of questions about the Panzer Corps 2 release date. Unfortunately, by now it has become clear that we won’t be able to release the game this year. This is something which some of you have already guessed, but we wanted to confirm it here so that there are no unrealistic expectations.
Thank you.

Sorry for bringing tis up. I was unaware of it.
Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

Ursa MAior wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:52 pm Thank you.

Sorry for bringing tis up. I was unaware of it.
No problem. They were loud about announcing the 2018 release back last year, but much quieter about pushing it back. ;)
Hopefully the game will be all the better for it. Does the gaming world need more rushed out, badly bugged, horribly reviewed titles like those we've seen just this last month? :P
Rudankort
FlashBack Games
FlashBack Games

Post by Rudankort »

Kerensky wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:21 am No problem. They were loud about announcing the 2018 release back last year, but much quieter about pushing it back. ;)
I dunno, we announced both things in the announcements section of this very forum. Or do you suggest to make another video trailer for that? :)
proline

Post by proline »

Rudankort wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:05 pm
Kerensky wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:21 am No problem. They were loud about announcing the 2018 release back last year, but much quieter about pushing it back. ;)
I dunno, we announced both things in the announcements section of this very forum. Or do you suggest to make another video trailer for that? :)
Dunno. You could ask your exclusive partner Wargamer, the only site you've ever shared any information with, to stop saying it will ship in 2018. Because if you told them "yay 2018!" but didn't tell them "actually 2019" then Kerensky is correct about trying to downplay the delay.

https://www.wargamer.com/articles/panze ... ease-date/
Gwaylare
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place
Panzer Corps Tournament 3rd Place

Post by Gwaylare »

So here is another wishlist to see little changes in Panzer Corps 2, most things I think are related to multiplayer and because Panzer Corps is a game about information, most points should be quite easy to implement.

Purchasing units:
If you take an opponent city in turn t you have to wait a full turn and are able to purchase a unit in turn t + 2. If a multiplayer game has some delay and there are a couple of days between the turns, you are not sure about counting turns. Fine if you did some screenshots or notes, bad if you did not. Great to have an in game counter or history about changes of city occupation.

Way Points:
There are many cases I am not happy with the way a unit will take, but there is just one way given to move to a single hex. For example if you want to move into the fog of war and you now about an occupied hex field because of the replay or just imagination, there is no way to move around, even if there are enough movement points available.
Another example is to move a unit to hex keeping out of opponents spotting range. A airborn parajumper for example do have a lot of movement points and it should be possible to change direction while flying. So just give the possibility to mark way points and continue movement to the next waypoint. But all in one movement not like recons beeing able to split movement.

Extended combat preview:
The detailed combat preview with Ctrl + Click is very important to learn about the combat mechanic. But it is not available if you have to move to your target first, this does affect most aircraft attacks. It would be great to chance this to Ctrl + Mouse Over. In the early days it was usual to move and undo move all the time to get an extendet combat preview. But because of the scouting expoit undo was banned from multiplayer.

Replays before each turn:
It would be great to see the replay multiple times without sending the turn back to the server and during the whole turn not just at the beginning.

Replays after combat:
Those complete replays of the game are a great idea and I think they are not really hard to implement. I am currently working with them to write an AAR for a tournament game and there are some not really well thought features, I think.
1) Please make the replay available in a more intuitive way. If the game is closed and viewed already, there is no way anymore to get a replay.
2) It seems that the replay function is build for single player, because fog of war is out of the allied perpective all the time. Please give the opportunity to switch or turn off fog of war.
3) Really great would be to have a move by move single step playing forward and backwards to get the write screenshots for an AAR. Missed the write move, oh I have to start at the beginning of the turn again :(
4) First I thought it would be a great idea to make a video out of a replay. But with a multiplayer replay you look at the player thinking. Every single click to a unit of map is visible. Again this is just for allied side, axis turns are fine like we are used to replays in game. So you can make a video, but it is no fun to watch it.

Best regards
Gwaylare
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

Gwaylare wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 am So here is another wishlist to see little changes in Panzer Corps 2, most things I think are related to multiplayer and because Panzer Corps is a game about information, most points should be quite easy to implement.

Purchasing units:
If you take an opponent city in turn t you have to wait a full turn and are able to purchase a unit in turn t + 2. If a multiplayer game has some delay and there are a couple of days between the turns, you are not sure about counting turns. Fine if you did some screenshots or notes, bad if you did not. Great to have an in game counter or history about changes of city occupation.

Way Points:
There are many cases I am not happy with the way a unit will take, but there is just one way given to move to a single hex. For example if you want to move into the fog of war and you now about an occupied hex field because of the replay or just imagination, there is no way to move around, even if there are enough movement points available.
Another example is to move a unit to hex keeping out of opponents spotting range. A airborn parajumper for example do have a lot of movement points and it should be possible to change direction while flying. So just give the possibility to mark way points and continue movement to the next waypoint. But all in one movement not like recons beeing able to split movement.

Extended combat preview:
The detailed combat preview with Ctrl + Click is very important to learn about the combat mechanic. But it is not available if you have to move to your target first, this does affect most aircraft attacks. It would be great to chance this to Ctrl + Mouse Over. In the early days it was usual to move and undo move all the time to get an extendet combat preview. But because of the scouting expoit undo was banned from multiplayer.

Replays before each turn:
It would be great to see the replay multiple times without sending the turn back to the server and during the whole turn not just at the beginning.

Replays after combat:
Those complete replays of the game are a great idea and I think they are not really hard to implement. I am currently working with them to write an AAR for a tournament game and there are some not really well thought features, I think.
1) Please make the replay available in a more intuitive way. If the game is closed and viewed already, there is no way anymore to get a replay.
2) It seems that the replay function is build for single player, because fog of war is out of the allied perpective all the time. Please give the opportunity to switch or turn off fog of war.
3) Really great would be to have a move by move single step playing forward and backwards to get the write screenshots for an AAR. Missed the write move, oh I have to start at the beginning of the turn again :(
4) First I thought it would be a great idea to make a video out of a replay. But with a multiplayer replay you look at the player thinking. Every single click to a unit of map is visible. Again this is just for allied side, axis turns are fine like we are used to replays in game. So you can make a video, but it is no fun to watch it.

Best regards
Gwaylare
I second all of what Gwaylare so eloquently put on this post
Well put, my friend, well put
goose_2

huckc
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by huckc »

Gwaylare wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:40 am Replays after combat:
5) A button to switch between showing attacker/defender. Currently you have to play through all the moves for the attacker first which is a major pain point.
jad43
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jad43 »

So my impression is that we will be creating our own scenarios on random maps? Is this correct?
goose_2

Post by goose_2 »

jad43 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 pm So my impression is that we will be creating our own scenarios on random maps? Is this correct?
no not even close, you will have access to play randomly generated content but they will have scenario specific content
goose_2

Kerensky
Content Designer
Content Designer

Post by Kerensky »

goose_2 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:25 pm no not even close, you will have access to play randomly generated content but they will have scenario specific content
This seems to be a re-occurring question. I think a lot of the confusion comes from not having seen any non-randomly generated pieces of content.
dalfrede
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger
Colonel - Fallschirmjäger

Post by dalfrede »

jad43 wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:21 pm So my impression is that we will be creating our own scenarios on random maps? Is this correct?
No.
It means that you can create your own scenarios on random maps, not that you must.

A point to remember, the Dev[elopers] are this providing this information for both general public and 'power' users.

More PzC scenarios have been created by modders and other outside content producers than by the actual Dev design team. Some paid, some not, some both.

The outside producers are interested in issues that most players do not deal with.

I suspect that most PzC players have never played a mod, let alone opened the editor.
There comes a time on every project when it is time to shoot the engineer and ship the damn thing.
CaesarCzech
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by CaesarCzech »

Rudankort wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:52 pm
Flynnstone03 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:17 am Everything looks great! I just have a quick question for the devs though. In one of the previous Dev Diaries it said the rosters of more minor nations would be expanded. How much does this apply to France? Will we see tanks like the ARL44 in the game? I'm asking because I like to design campaigns where it's possible for the allies to hold onto France. With that in mind it would be great if France had access to more advanced equipment so they can still play a active role in the scenarios after 1940 when all their tanks start to become obsolete.

(This was reposted from a different dev diary because my question was never answered)
Yes, sorry, I still need to go through that dev diary and answer pending questions, because I did not manage to do it at the time when it was published.

Alas, although french unit roster was expanded slightly, this does not include ARL44 or any other heavier and more advanced tanks than they already have. We felt that as a country which fought mostly in 1940 France was already well fleshed out, with lots of native tanks and aircraft. So, priority has been given to countries like Italy, Hungary and Romania which fought through the entire war, although other countries, like Poland, Slovakia and even Belgium and Netherlands also got expanded.

This does not mean that France will not be expanded in the future, especially if we get to a dedicated campaign for France at some point. But in 1.0 things will stand as I've described.

I would say it might be good idea to expand nations with 1 Year of equipment after they surrendered. so for France it would be Mid 1941 this would give players some base to be able to do scenarios like France fighting until Early 1942 without That much work for devs. it would essentially be about dozen extra units for a decent benefit. Same applying to Italy who could get mid 1944 Equipment. they had decent stuff in pipeine.

Return to “News & Announcements”