Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Re: Field of Glory II - Holiday 2017 Tournament

Post by GDod »

rbodleyscott wrote:
GDod wrote:Richard, if your opponent times out a game, is it counted as a win, or do you just get the points you have routed? In my timed out second round [second game], I received 13 pts [routed enemy] and my opponent 4 pts [routed friends] In all other timed out games, the player who processed the last turn received 75 points... In my case, the battle was a a critical stage and poised for the collapse of some big ticket items :) I waited for my opponents move during the 29th, 30th, 31st Dec but it did not eventuate. Was it the very belated millennium computer glitch that toyed with our perception of time rather than my opponents delay?, Did I do something wrong? Can you please clarify?
In a timed out game, the non-timed-out player gets a bye score if the requisite number of turns have not been played, otherwise the score stands as it is. In this tournament that number of turns was set to 24 (counting the sum of both sides' turns). You guys obviously played more than 24 turns between you, hence you did not get the 75 points.

We might set the required number of turns higher in future. On the other hand, while in this game you were probably hard done by, in a game which was heading nowhere it would be hard on everyone else in the tournament if the non-timed-out player got 75 points, which could be a lot more than he would have got if the game had continued.

Unfortunately the server has no way of predicting the potential future of a timed out game.
A review of the last turn shows I had only completed turn 13 of 24 Richard. So, I can only assume that the program hiccuped. No worries though... thanks for the explanation.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

GDod wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:
GDod wrote:Richard, if your opponent times out a game, is it counted as a win, or do you just get the points you have routed? In my timed out second round [second game], I received 13 pts [routed enemy] and my opponent 4 pts [routed friends] In all other timed out games, the player who processed the last turn received 75 points... In my case, the battle was a a critical stage and poised for the collapse of some big ticket items :) I waited for my opponents move during the 29th, 30th, 31st Dec but it did not eventuate. Was it the very belated millennium computer glitch that toyed with our perception of time rather than my opponents delay?, Did I do something wrong? Can you please clarify?
In a timed out game, the non-timed-out player gets a bye score if the requisite number of turns have not been played, otherwise the score stands as it is. In this tournament that number of turns was set to 24 (counting the sum of both sides' turns). You guys obviously played more than 24 turns between you, hence you did not get the 75 points.

We might set the required number of turns higher in future. On the other hand, while in this game you were probably hard done by, in a game which was heading nowhere it would be hard on everyone else in the tournament if the non-timed-out player got 75 points, which could be a lot more than he would have got if the game had continued.

Unfortunately the server has no way of predicting the potential future of a timed out game.
A review of the last turn shows I had only completed turn 13 of 24 Richard. So, I can only assume that the program hiccuped. No worries though... thanks for the explanation.
The 24 is the sum of both players' turns, so if you had played turn 13 at least 25 turns had been played.
Richard Bodley Scott

Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by Lancier »

Slitherine Pbem++ is already brilliant but this tourney system especially for pbem games is great! Thanks to Slitherine and course to Richard once more, we are having fun gents!..
Ah by the way, challenges and maps continue surprising us which is awesome, Bosporan is tougher than i thought for round 3 mirrors! 8)
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

GDod
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by GDod »

The 24 is the sum of both players' turns, so if you had played turn 13 at least 25 turns had been played.
Thanks for clearing that up Richard.
ZygfrydDeLowe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ZygfrydDeLowe »

Is the time-out for the 3rd round, with delayed start, calculating correctly?
Not by any chance form the 1st of January, with those 2 days counting towards the player A in respective battles?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

ZygfrydDeLowe wrote:Is the time-out for the 3rd round, with delayed start, calculating correctly?
Not by any chance form the 1st of January, with those 2 days counting towards the player A in respective battles?
I suspect the latter, but sadly there isn't anything we can do about it. In future the server will keep trying to start the round if it fails the first time it tries, so the issue should not arise in future tournaments.
Richard Bodley Scott

Asterix_von_TWC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Asterix_von_TWC »

Hey gentlemen!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What the HELL just happened?? I started to threads, opened a ticket and was waiting for this round because PnzGren did not show up for his last match and I was informed he was going on a bye!!! NOW I was booted from the tournament and he was awarded 2x75!!

I have a right to be at least mildly upset???
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Asterix_von_TWC wrote:Hey gentlemen!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

What the HELL just happened?? I started to threads, opened a ticket and was waiting for this round because PnzGren did not show up for his last match and I was informed he was going on a bye!!! NOW I was booted from the tournament and he was awarded 2x75!!

Indeed you do. Sorry. I will draw this to the attention of the PBEM guru, but it may not be possible to correct the problem at this stage.
Richard Bodley Scott

Asterix_von_TWC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

rbodleyscott wrote:

Indeed you do. Sorry. I will draw this to the attention of the PBEM guru, but it may not be possible to correct the problem at this stage.
Thank you, I was more composed in my PM to you:

"Hi rbodleyscott,

Must be some kind of mistake, in thread I reported PnzGren as having never materialized to play his round: now I was booted from the tournament and he was awarded 2x75!!

Please deduct him (I played one round and send it to him accordingly) and reinstate me into the tournament.

Regards,
Toni (Asterix)"

I am waiting and eager to play, missed out on the last round, and the person who let me sit for a week now gets awarded points? Please gentlemen rectify this if you are serious.

I appologize for my angry tone above, but although I am a calm person I was certainly peeved off when I saw the tournament charts this morning.
ZygfrydDeLowe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ZygfrydDeLowe »

rbodleyscott wrote:
ZygfrydDeLowe wrote:Is the time-out for the 3rd round, with delayed start, calculating correctly?
I suspect the latter, but sadly there isn't anything we can do about it. In future the server will keep trying to start the round if it fails the first time it tries, so the issue should not arise in future tournaments.
I have a sneaky suspicion, that it might be the case.
I try to do both turns at once, so I send them short time apart (as I think most of us, here, do); and yet, when my opponent in this round was rather slow to respond, we both got a time-out points for respective matches.

Oh well, I'm slightly disappointed, but on the other hand glad, that those issues show up, so they can be ironed out for future games.

Thank you for the reply.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Asterix_von_TWC wrote:I appologize for my angry tone above, but although I am a calm person I was certainly peeved off when I saw the tournament charts this morning.
Very understandable.
Richard Bodley Scott

FroBodine
Master Sergeant - U-boat
Master Sergeant - U-boat

Post by FroBodine »

rbodleyscott wrote:

I know you and the Slitherine tournament moderators are doing their best to keep these tournaments running, and I really appreciate all the work. But, I keep hearing this answer too often lately . . . "it may not be possible to correct the problem at this stage, mid-tournament"

These tournaments NEED to have a way for humans to intervene and correct the errors that keep occurring, like the late start of round 3 with no way to extend the end date, and the problem Asterix had where he got booted and scored no points when his opponent was the one who abandoned the game.

The players are also putting a lot of effort into getting their turns done, keeping on track, etc. And, to have their tournament ruined because of a glitch in the system is very frustrating. Please update the tournament system so you can correct problems on the fly, during the tournament.

Thank you.
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

FroBodine wrote:
rbodleyscott wrote:

I know you and the Slitherine tournament moderators are doing their best to keep these tournaments running, and I really appreciate all the work. But, I keep hearing this answer too often lately . . . "it may not be possible to correct the problem at this stage, mid-tournament"

These tournaments NEED to have a way for humans to intervene and correct the errors that keep occurring, like the late start of round 3 with no way to extend the end date, and the problem Asterix had where he got booted and scored no points when his opponent was the one who abandoned the game.

The players are also putting a lot of effort into getting their turns done, keeping on track, etc. And, to have their tournament ruined because of a glitch in the system is very frustrating. Please update the tournament system so you can correct problems on the fly, during the tournament.

Thank you.
The tournament system is not under my control, but I will pass this on.
Richard Bodley Scott

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry to anyone who experienced problems in the tournament. I can understand how frustrating it is when you invested so much time in it. The system is still relatively new and from time to time new issues are spotted. We're usually finding at least one issue per tournament but each time it gets more stable and reliable.

The issue with round 3 not starting was someone in round 2 surrendered. This caused an edge case we hadn't thought about and the round failed to kick off. We're in the process of fixing this issue. It may have had the knock on effect causing an issue with the round time for round 3 being affected and some time penalties being applied incorrectly. We're still investigating.

Because the system is so complex sadly you cant tinker with it by hand. When the round is completed, the draw is done, the game created and all the data that hooks things up set. There are many pieces to the puzzle under the hood and just modifying part of the data ends up breaking everything so you cant manually tinker. We're working through to fix the bugs but while it might sound easy to manually edit the numbers it wouldn't work. We're looking in to whether there are some areas which are safer than others that might be possible to manually edit but we need to be very careful. If we find places that are safe, then we can add an admin tool to let the moderators edit it.

Thanks for your patience and we hope you can enjoy tournament even if it sometimes has issues.
Asterix_von_TWC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

IainMcNeil wrote:Sorry to anyone who experienced problems in the tournament. I can understand how frustrating it is when you invested so much time in it. The system is still relatively new and from time to time new issues are spotted. We're usually finding at least one issue per tournament but each time it gets more stable and reliable.

The issue with round 3 not starting was someone in round 2 surrendered. This caused an edge case we hadn't thought about and the round failed to kick off. We're in the process of fixing this issue. It may have had the knock on effect causing an issue with the round time for round 3 being affected and some time penalties being applied incorrectly. We're still investigating.

Because the system is so complex sadly you cant tinker with it by hand. When the round is completed, the draw is done, the game created and all the data that hooks things up set. There are many pieces to the puzzle under the hood and just modifying part of the data ends up breaking everything so you cant manually tinker. We're working through to fix the bugs but while it might sound easy to manually edit the numbers it wouldn't work. We're looking in to whether there are some areas which are safer than others that might be possible to manually edit but we need to be very careful. If we find places that are safe, then we can add an admin tool to let the moderators edit it.

Thanks for your patience and we hope you can enjoy tournament even if it sometimes has issues.
Hi Ian thanks, where does this leave me? (as per the above)
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Asterix_von_TWC wrote:
IainMcNeil wrote:Sorry to anyone who experienced problems in the tournament. I can understand how frustrating it is when you invested so much time in it. The system is still relatively new and from time to time new issues are spotted. We're usually finding at least one issue per tournament but each time it gets more stable and reliable.

The guru has tweaked the data, and you should hopefully now be in a challenge. Let us know if you don't see it in your games in the lobby.
Richard Bodley Scott

Asterix_von_TWC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

rbodleyscott wrote:
Asterix_von_TWC wrote:

The guru has tweaked the data, and you should hopefully now be in a challenge. Let us know if you don't see it in your games in the lobby.
Guru! Gentlemen thanks much! Will endeavor to make it worth your while now!
Lancier

Post by Lancier »

Round #4- what a map!? Anyone have a spare ridge rope to save my cragfast? :mrgreen:

devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

Lancier wrote:Round #4- what a map!? Anyone have a spare ridge rope to save my cragfast? :mrgreen:
Is your Ptolemaic Phalanx looking happy? :wink:
Lancier

Post by Lancier »

devoncop wrote:
Lancier wrote:Round #4- what a map!? Anyone have a spare ridge rope to save my cragfast? :mrgreen:
Is your Ptolemaic Phalanx looking happy? :wink:
:lol:
He decided to stay in the tent and have arabic coffee this round. ^^

Return to “News & Announcements”