Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

Lancier
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Field of Glory II - Holiday 2017 Tournament

Post by Lancier »

You really made a point devoncop :D
Tho my opponent seems to find a nice solution for that, i warmly applaud his tactics.
devoncop wrote:This round is not exactly easy for the Ancient Britons is it ?? :D :D
GdD Colbert * TWC Co-founder & Admin

devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

And my opponent seems to be determined to skirmish the Romans to death :-)
Patrick Ward
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Patrick Ward »

Re: Rough ground ... points taken and understood .. there will be some tweaks incoming. Don't know if they'll satisfy everyones needs as I don't want to suddenly make it shocking pink or anything but there'll be some improvement in contrast.

Pat a Pixel Pusher

rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Patrick Ward wrote:Re: Rough ground ... points taken and understood .. there will be some tweaks incoming. Don't know if they'll satisfy everyones needs as I don't want to suddenly make it shocking pink or anything but there'll be some improvement in contrast.
Note that this is going for beta testing and will be in the next major patch, not the next interim patch.
Richard Bodley Scott

Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

Hope my round five opponent is ok. He doesn't appear to have submitted a turn yet. I'll be ready if he decides to give it a go. :D
Image Image
TheSkirmishLord
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by TheSkirmishLord »

@Patrick Ward
I think you missed shawkhan2's point - on the Middle East Hilly map, it may LOOK like rough ground but it isn't.
To use your posted example, the area on the right is all rough ground and is easy to see. If you mix some open ground in that group, especially if there's hills in the area, it's no longer obvious at first glance which is rough or open ground. I think this is due to the lack of any difference in color in the different terrain as well as the lack of any stark textural difference. You'll notice those differences exist on the other two examples that you have.

The result is you have to mouse over each terrain square which is a nuisance. I was playing a multiplayer game with shawkhan2 and had this same discussion as there were numerous examples of poorly defined terrain.

While we're on the subject of terrain, the marshes often aren't clearly defined either.
ZygfrydDeLowe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ZygfrydDeLowe »

The discussion went slightly off-topic, and I don't want to derail it any further, but I will throw my 2 cents - how about adding a button to trigger and overlay of sorts. For example highlighting every non-open terrain as a red tile?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

ZygfrydDeLowe wrote:The discussion went slightly off-topic, and I don't want to derail it any further, but I will throw my 2 cents - how about adding a button to trigger and overlay of sorts. For example highlighting every non-open terrain as a red tile?
We did consider that, but decided that one of the skills of a general was an eye for the terrain, and woe betide the commander who failed to check it out. This would take away that skill by putting neon lights on danger zones.

I appreciate that your suggestion would be more convenient than mousing over squares to check whether a square has has some rough terrain texture on it is actually rough terrain. (This is because the terrain textures feather together, otherwise they look awful). But you don't need to mouse over a square that looks clear because it always is clear.

So while your suggestion might be more convenient, and I know a lot of people would like it, nevertheless our view is that overall the existence of this option would detract from the game.

As the great Kevin Ayers wrote:

"It begins with a blessing
But it ends with a curse
Making life easy
But making it worse"

We don't expect everyone to agree with this point of view, but sometimes we have to stick by our design decisions to avoid (in our view) spoiling the game.
Richard Bodley Scott

SpeedyCM
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train
Sergeant Major - Armoured Train

Post by SpeedyCM »

devoncop wrote:This round is not exactly easy for the Ancient Britons is it ?? :D :D
If you have the right terrain it is, my opponent has hidden his warbands in a forest where it is suicide for me to attack and is just peppering my troops with his massive missile troop advantage.
ZygfrydDeLowe
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by ZygfrydDeLowe »

rbodleyscott wrote: [...]We did consider that, but decided that one of the skills of a general was an eye for the terrain, and woe betide the commander who failed to check it out. This would take away that skill by putting neon lights on danger zones.[...]
That is an interesting point of view, I haven't considered (i.e. I assumed that it was not a concious design decision) . Thank you for the explanation.
Asterix_von_TWC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by Asterix_von_TWC »

HI gentlemen,

Now it was my turn to (unexpectedly) be stranded without workable WiFi on a long business trip. I will try my best to advance things these 4 days now, and will have connectivity today and Sunday. I am messaging Rom1944 about this. Apologies to all.
mordante
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by mordante »

Disappointingly my opponent seems to be missing from the 5th round so I guess I only get the by points (150) so can only finish 3rd at best :(

Still its been a lot of fun and many thanks to my opponents who showed up to fight!

Cheers.
shawkhan2

Post by shawkhan2 »

These tournaments do seem to highlight the unbecoming behavior of some people. Poor sportsmanship is always bad form. I have experienced it myself in three out of these five rounds. It makes me wonder if playing in these tournaments is too depressing to be worthwhile. Oh well, such is humanity.
devoncop
Sr. Colonel - Battleship
Sr. Colonel - Battleship

Post by devoncop »

shawkhan2 wrote:These tournaments do seem to highlight the unbecoming behavior of some people. Poor sportsmanship is always bad form. I have experienced it myself in three out of these five rounds. It makes me wonder if playing in these tournaments is too depressing to be worthwhile. Oh well, such is humanity.
Have faith. I am in one of the Divisions of the Digital League with you. I guarantee you will have a rapid and complete journey to your victory :D
MikeC_81
Captain - Heavy Cruiser
Captain - Heavy Cruiser

Post by MikeC_81 »

shawkhan2 wrote:These tournaments do seem to highlight the unbecoming behavior of some people. Poor sportsmanship is always bad form. I have experienced it myself in three out of these five rounds. It makes me wonder if playing in these tournaments is too depressing to be worthwhile. Oh well, such is humanity.
Really? I have had like a total of 1 bad interaction and that was in a forum thread well after the match. What happened?
Stratford Scramble Tournament

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=494&t=99766&p=861093#p861093

FoG 2 Post Game Analysis Series on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKmEROEwX2fgjoQLlQULhPg/
mst007
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by mst007 »

For my own experience, my first ever Tournament, I`ve had 5 complete Gentlemen. Great guys, no problems. I must have been lucky?
mhladnik
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by mhladnik »

Only good experience here as well. Thank you all.
mordante

Post by mordante »

mordante wrote:Disappointingly my opponent seems to be missing from the 5th round so I guess I only get the by points (150) so can only finish 3rd at best :(

Still its been a lot of fun and many thanks to my opponents who showed up to fight!

Cheers.

Don't get me wrong btw, I really enjoyed the 4 games I had and I'm new to the game and community having never played Field of Glory 1 (or the tabletop) so coming 3rd (or 4th) will be pretty good regardless - just a bit of a pity I didn't have a chance to improve on the by score but have definitely enjoyed the experience and will be happy to try again in the future.
mhladnik

Post by mhladnik »

Our good experience with fellow players does not invalidate your bad one, I understand it's annoying.
mhladnik

Post by mhladnik »

Thank you for organising the tournament! I was happy to finish in the top 20 in my first event, and I learned a lot. Interestingly, I and all my four opponents from the latter rounds ended up bunched up next to each other in the rankings :)
Last edited by mhladnik on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “News & Announcements”