The Slitherine Steam Midweek Madness is here, let the Madnes

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Slitherine Steam Midweek Madness is here, let the Madnes

Post by IainMcNeil »

From February 23 (10am PST) to February 26 (10am PST) you will have the chance to grab some of the best strategy games around at a special price!

Grab all-time classics like Panzer Corps Collection at 63% off, or Gary Grigsby’s War in the East, Ageod’s Civil War 2 and Close Combat: Gateway to Caen at 50% off!

Also, for the very first time, Battle Academy 2 gets a unique 75% discount, as does its Kursk expansion!

Fans of fantasy and sci-fi games, we hear your call and you will also be excited to know that freshly-updated Pandora: First Contact is available at 67% off and that we are discounting Warhammer 40,000: Armageddon and all of its DLCs for the whole period of the Midweek Madness!

Don’t miss this chance! Check out the games here:
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/slitherine_midweek
Philippeatbay
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: The Slitherine Steam Midweek Madness is here, let the Ma

Post by Philippeatbay »

If we buy a Slitherine game on Steam, will we be able to register it here ?

In other words, will we be able to download a non-Steam version as well?

I only ask is because there is often a significant lag for patches finding their way to the Steam version.
drewgalander
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by drewgalander »

Can someone clarify the sale with regard to this site vs Steam - as some of the items shown as discounted on Steam e.g. Kursk, Caen, etc. have matching or similar discounts in the Slitherine shop, whilst others e.g. Waterloo are on sale on the Steam site but don't seem to be so on here? Should the discounts match across the two sites for those of us who prefer to buy on here? Or is this a partial sale where only some items are on sale on both sites whilst a wider range is available on Steam?

Thanks.
Ragga
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by Ragga »

Which game would be a good choice for a Slitherine virgin???

I play a ton of strategy games - mostly rts or grand strategy - CA, Relic, Paradox... But I'm very interested - especially with the sale - to try out some Slitherine goodness.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

drewgalander wrote:some of the items shown as discounted on Steam e.g. Kursk, Caen, etc. have matching or similar discounts in the Slitherine shop, whilst others e.g. Waterloo are on sale on the Steam site but don't seem to be so on here?
As far as I see Scourge of War: Waterloo is also on discount in our stores:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/369390/
http://www.slitherine.com/games/SoW_Waterloo_pc
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/574 ... :.Waterloo

drewgalander wrote:Should the discounts match across the two sites for those of us who prefer to buy on here?
Basically yes. But the there will be minor differences due to the different exchange rate that Steam shop uses.

Philippe_at_bay wrote:If we buy a Slitherine game on Steam, will we be able to register it here ?

In other words, will we be able to download a non-Steam version as well?
I'm afraid not.
Philippe_at_bay wrote:I only ask is because there is often a significant lag for patches finding their way to the Steam version.
Only if they are not official but beta patches
ElDude
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by ElDude »

I don't appreciate getting email from steam. I have no desire to put any DRM software on my computers. Matrix and Slitherine can send emails to me and I'm fine with that. But not steam.
Is the sale only on steam?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Hi guys

we price match everything here so buy here and get a free steam key if that is what you prefer :)
BiteNibbleChomp
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by BiteNibbleChomp »

Ragga wrote:Which game would be a good choice for a Slitherine virgin???

I play a ton of strategy games - mostly rts or grand strategy - CA, Relic, Paradox... But I'm very interested - especially with the sale - to try out some Slitherine goodness.
Panzer Corps and OOB Pacific are my favourites. I would also recommend Battle Academy. If you are a fan of the Paradox monster games you may enjoy the Gary Grigsby titles as well.

- BNC
Ryan O'Shea - Developer - Strategic Command American Civil War
drewgalander

Post by drewgalander »

VPaulus wrote:
drewgalander wrote:some of the items shown as discounted on Steam e.g. Kursk, Caen, etc. have matching or similar discounts in the Slitherine shop, whilst others e.g. Waterloo are on sale on the Steam site but don't seem to be so on here?
As far as I see Scourge of War: Waterloo is also on discount in our stores:
drewgalander wrote:Should the discounts match across the two sites for those of us who prefer to buy on here?
Basically yes. But the there will be minor differences due to the different exchange rate that Steam shop uses.

"we price match everything here so buy here and get a free steam key if that is what you prefer"

Thanks for the response. I think on some of these Steam hadn't updated their info when I looked - they now appear to have caught up.

However, three things come to mind from what I can see in the stores:
a) Firstly "we price match everything".......the "everything" should say "most" or "usually"..........because see point (b).
b) Waterloo is "on discount", but that is very different between stores. Waterloo £30.99 on Slitherine, but £23.99 on Steam!
c) ".......there will be minor differences due to the different exchange rate that Steam shop uses". £7 difference on this game is not a "minor difference"! Matrix and Slitherine seem to have discounted this game from £37.99 to £30.99, Steam appear to have used the discounted figure as their start point (with some slight fluctuation for exchange rate) of £29.99 and then put in the sale price, cutting it by a further 20% of that starting figure to £23.99.

In effect this means that against the list price of this game you save approximately 18% (20% minus interest rate fluctuations) on Slitherine, but a wopping 29% if you instead decide to buy on Steam!

This difference is very unfair for those of us who prefer / chose to buy on Slitherine rather than Steam. It is not "price matching" and it is far too big a difference to be explained by "minor differences" due to exchange rates.
VPaulus
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by VPaulus »

The price is set in USD$ and if you check the price in USD$ it will be exactly the same. Then each store (Bluesnap and Steam) works with it's exchange rate and the price's will differ.
I'm sorry but there's nothing we can do about.
You can check this forum thread, the same questions:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.as ... e&#3975430
drewgalander

Post by drewgalander »

Thanks for the response – and the useful link – which clarifies matters to a degree (and at least shows there is a wider customer concern over this issue). However, whilst I accept that you do not have control over the exchange rates used by the various parties involved I do not think that explains the huge difference in one of the specific examples I gave.

On the following list (sorry - tech skills not up to inserting table!!) I have selected a reasonable number of the “on sale” games. You will note that most are either the same or similar within a very small margin – that margin is reasonably consistent and would fit with:
a) the comments made on different exchange rates being used by the various agencies involved, slight variations in these would produce the small differences noted.
b) Clearly Steam has economies of scale which Slitherine does not and therefore it is not surprising to note that in general the Steam versions are (slightly) cheaper in most cases.
c) I suspect (and certainly include myself in this) many customers would be happy to pay that slight surcharge to support Slitherine etc.

However, the specific example of Waterloo is clearly well out of step with the other examples and therefore does not seem to fit the explanations given. As previously stated, this is very disappointing for all sorts of reasons and is difficult to justify through any exchange rate argument.

Game title, first figure is Steam price, second figure is Slitherine price, then shows "-" (amount) for cheaper on Slitherine, "+" for more on Slitherine, or "same" indicates same price.

Waterloo 23.99 30.99 + £7.00
BA 1 2.74 2.99 + £0.21
BA 2 7.49 7.99 + £0.50
Kursk 3.74 3.99 + £0.21
Caen 14.99 14.99 Same Same
PitF 14.99 14.99 Same Same
Star Hammer 11.24 11.99 + £0.75
Armageddon 19.79 19.99 + £0.20
Quadriga 3.74 3.99 + £0.21
Panzer Corps 7.49 7.99 + £0.50
OOB Pacific 22.49 22.99 + £0.50
Heroes of N. 15.17 14.99 Yes -£0.18
Alea Jacta Est 11.39 11.99 + £0.60
Civil War II 14.99 14.99 Same Same
SPM 11.49 11.99 + £0.50
Battle of Bulge 4.89 5.99 + £1.10
DC Case Blue 14.99 14.99 Same Same
DC Blitzkrieg 14.99 14.99 Same Same
Red Storm 22.19 22.99 + £0.80
Longest Day 2.39 2.99 + £0.60
Moscow 1.74 1.99 + £0.25
Legions of Steel 7.49 7.99 + £0.50
Magnifico 1.59 1.99 + £0.40
War in the East 30.49 30.99 + £0.50
Pandora 7.58 7.99 + £0.41
JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM »

Hello Drew,

Sorry, but this difference in the rates is something out of our hands. We always set the prices in USD on both Steam and BlueSnap, and then both companies do their own conversions. In the case of BlueSnap, they use close to the exchange rates. Whereas Steam do things differently, using their own Regional Pricing. This has been brought up before on our forums and on Steam forums for our games and other games, where different Steam users get different pricings, but this is not something we can change. I'm sorry for this.
hurly
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by hurly »

IainMcNeil wrote:Hi guys

we price match everything here so buy here and get a free steam key if that is what you prefer :)
hi Ian

nice to hear that

but I have tried for some time to find this bundle in your Shop
and putting together the stuff piece by piece just does not work out for me (at least not for the Price of 29,59 Euro)

so would you please be so nice to give me a link for the bundle in your shop as i don't want no part of steam

also strange I get a Price of 12.99 Euro incl Vat for Soviet Corps in your Shop but as soon as i put it in my Cart it says 13.99 very strange

so please help me out to make both purchases

thanks hurly
MeatEtr
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by MeatEtr »

There was a day I'd be excited about a Steam sale. But those days are long gone as I play these games on my iPad now. Just bought a iPad Pro the other week too, latest games run insanely fast on it. I upgraded from a iPad 2. Any chance these sales will be matched or put up on the app store? At these steam sale prices Id buy several on the app store.
captkiwi
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by captkiwi »

:D Just wanted to say thank you for the mid-week madness Slitherine and affiliates offered this week. Downloads went well and redeemed the Steam keys without a glitch. Fun times ahead....
Stryder
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Stryder »

Any chance Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa will be on sale soon? -- interested in buying the version with the manual.

Thanks!
pipfromslitherine
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by pipfromslitherine »

We generally avoid sales on recently released games.

Cheers

Pip
follow me on Twitter here
Philippeatbay

Post by Philippeatbay »

Is there any way to figure out in advance what my discount is likely to be when my anniversary rolls around ?

[I've just realized that this is in the wrong thread. My anniversary is coming up at the beginning of next month, and what I really want to know is whether my discount coupon will be greater or less than 25%. And you probably can't tell me because the formula for calculating it is changing].
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Sorry its quite complicated and involved years joined and games registered so there isn't an easy way to work it out.
Eddie1900

Post by Eddie1900 »

IainMcNeil wrote:Hi guys

I have noticed today there is again a difference in prices when comparing certain Slitherine games on the Slitherine site to the steam site. Another price matching effort would certainly be welcome. :wink:

Return to “News & Announcements”