Announcement RE: PBEM++©

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Announcement RE: PBEM++©

Post by JosephM »

Hopefully you are all aware that Legions of Steel will be releasing shortly. As part of the release, the game will have a number of nerve-racking multiplayer modes.

However what you may not know is that along with this, we have reviewed the PBEM system, which is fully automated and immediately highlights any irregularities with online gameplay. For example the system flags where an individual repeatedly downloads a game turns before uploading his response turn to his opponent. The danger here is that this could amount to unfair play and where this happens to excess, certain actions may be taken including removing a player’s access to PBEM either temporarily or permanently. This is part of our ongoing commitment to you our players, to ensure that you experience a fair and enjoyable match when using the multiplayer system.

For instance: we have recently removed access to three individuals, for unexplained multiple downloads of the same game turn. The system will continue to monitor all games, to ensure that you always have a sporting and fair multiplayer experience and where necessary we will take any necessary action to ensure that this is the case. We hope that you continue to enjoy your games and will support the additional refinements that we continue to add.
Delta66
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Re: Announcement RE: PBEM++©

Post by Delta66 »

Are there any written "rules of conduct" about using PBEM++ ?
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

We don't have anything official right now, but its common sense really. Cheating is going to get you banned. This involves attempting to alter data files, replaying turns, viewing opponents troops in fog or war games. Anything that would give an unfair advantage. Some leagues are hand moderated and have additional house rules but I don't think its something that needs a long explanation.
Delta66

Post by Delta66 »

IainMcNeil wrote:We don't have anything official right now, but its common sense really. Cheating is going to get you banned.

I think that if you gonna ban peoples, the very least would be to have some written rules of conducts and ALSO to make some mention about it in the games manual chapter related to multiplayer and PBEMM++ using.

I certainly don't want to encourage cheating, nor I'm a lawyer. But I have been a referee in a numbers of boardgames tournaments, including some international ones with peoples coming from all over the world with different background and legal systems. And common sense may vary a lot from individual to individual, and it seems a bit thin if you apply sanctions like bans.

To clarify my thoughts, and from a somewhat formal point of view:

If two players use plain regular PBEM, which involves sending private mail to their opponent for their played turns. It is purely in the private sphere. And as long as both players agree on the rules or procedures to follow, whether they are very strict or completely lax, it is just their concerns, especially if there is no world wide ranking or leaderboards involved.

Now, as it is worded, PBEM++, sounds like an improved PBEM (and that's how it is presented in the rules). there is no mention that it is a monitored cloud service. Clarifying the ins and out would be better in my opinion.

Personally I don't mind playing with strict or lax rules, the only thing that matters to me is that me and my opponents use the same rules whatever they are. I'm not very comfortable with undefined agreement. Having them written would be an improvement.
IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

People are warned by the system if their actions look suspicious and what to do if it happens. Nobody is going to be banned without knowing about it so there is really nothing to worry about for a normal player. The EULA covers this:

Support & Multiplayer.
In certain situations and at their sole discretion Slitherine Ltd. may refuse technical support and/or access to multiplayer or online functionality, including but not limited to the following; the user attempts or assist other to bypass security measures on the software, or the user is abusive to Slitherine staff and or it's community, or Slitherine has reason to suspect the user is attempting to cheat or assisting others to cheat, or Slitherine suspect that the person or entity is not the original purchaser of the software or Slitherine at its sole discretion has terminated the Licence.

We are not going to give any details of how the system works or what specifically is banned as this reduces the effectiveness of the system and makes it easier for people to find work arounds which we then have to block. If you think it might be seen as cheating, it probably is so don't do it! If you do we'll be watching :)
Delta66

Post by Delta66 »

JoeMiller wrote: we have reviewed the PBEM system, which is fully automated and immediately highlights any irregularities with online gameplay. For example the system flags where an individual repeatedly downloads a game turns before uploading his response turn to his opponent.
Are those flags visible for the players (in that case how?), or are we supposed to trust the system?

Beside the MP client related issues, it would be helpful too, if games could give more stats like average die rolls, standard deviation, etc... Not necessarily to point out cheating, as with the limited die rolls in a scenario the average may vary from the expectation, but to give a better perspective of each players performance given a possible uneven distribution of randomness.

If I may mention another MP issue, not related to cheating but rather to fair play. Since Panzer Corps was released on Steam, I noticed that more players suddenly quit the MP games immediately on the first turns. I presume this is to obtain Steam MP achievements quicker. I don't really care how peoples get their achievements, but when you take time to carefully analyze the scenario and ponder your moves. I find it disappointing or upsetting to loose your time for nuts.
DanielHerr
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by DanielHerr »

IainMcNeil wrote:Cheating is going to get you banned. This involves attempting to alter data files
So using a mod would get you banned? What if both players had the same modded files?
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

DanielHerr wrote:
IainMcNeil wrote:Cheating is going to get you banned. This involves attempting to alter data files
So using a mod would get you banned? What if both players had the same modded files?
Using a mod will not get you banned. You should not mod files in your main installation. Mods should be in different campaign folders from the vanilla scenarios and then the PBEM++ system will not let the second player accept the challenge unless he has that campaign installed. This should insure that both players are using the same data set.

If for any reason the files on the two computers differ, the system will issue a message when you load your turn. You then have the option of whether to persevere with the game or contact technical support.
Richard Bodley Scott

IainMcNeil
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IainMcNeil »

Nothing will get you banned without warning. If you have done something wrong we'll let you know and give you the chance to correct it but if you persist in doing it then you'll be in trouble.
jdm
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by jdm »

And it's important to remember that the system has been created to ensure that everyone has a fair, enjoyable and equal chance of success in their games, so we are pretty confident that the benefits this brings will be welcomed by the great majority of players.

Return to “News & Announcements”