Pike & Shot is now available!

Get all the latest news on Slitherine.

Moderator: Slitherine Core

sukhoi
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Pike & Shot is now available!

Post by sukhoi »

"Not only strike while the iron is hot, but make it hot by striking.” (Oliver Cromwell – English military and political leader)

In the age of Pike and Shot, mighty struggles erupted across Europe for religious, political or dynastic causes. The greatest powers of that period were regularly involved in conflicts and struggles to increase their dominance over the continent. Some countries have also to deal with inner tensions and are torn apart between factions. War is in the air. But war has changed. Due to the development of new technologies, traditional medieval tactics have been substituted with a totally different approach to effectively utilise the new formations and weapons.

In these troubled times musketeers “gave fire” in a duel to the death, pikemen held stolidly against enemy assaults, and cavalry charged to glory or defeat. You can march in the footsteps of the great leaders of The Thirty Years War, Italian Wars and the English Civil War and refight some of the greatest battles of the Renaissance. With its 30 full-sized historical battles, its random map and scenario generator, its easy-to-use PBEM++ multiplayer system and its gameplay simulating accurately the tactics of the period, Pike & Shot will thrill any history buff and fans of tactical challenges!

Pike & Shot features 30 historical scenarios that cover the main battles of three of the most important conflicts of the 16th and 17th centuries:
  • The Thirty Years’ War (1616-1648)
    Pilgram-Lomnitz, 1618; White Mountain, 1620; Wimpfen, 1622; Lutter, 1626; First Breitenfeld, 1631; Lutzen, 1632; First Nordlingen, 1634; Wittstock, 1636; Second Breitenfeld, 1642; Roccoi, 1643
  • The English Civil War (1642-1651)
    Stratton, 1643; Adwalton Moor, 1643; Edgehill, 1642; Storming of Bristol, 1643; Nantwich, 1644; Cheriton, 1644; Marston Moor, 1644; Lostwithiel, 1644; Second Newbury, 1644; Naseby, 1645
  • The Great Italian Wars (1494-1559)
    Seminara, 1495; Fornova, 1495; Ravenna, 1512; Novarra, 1513; Marignano, 1515; Bicocca, 1522; Pavia, 1525; Ceresole, 1544; St. Quentin, 1557; Gravelines, 1558.
Today we have the pleasure to announce that the game is finally released and available on our store! In order to celebrate this important milestone, we are offering a $10 discount to the early adopters during the week of the launch!

We are also going to offer a free Steam key to anyone who bought a copy of the game from the Matrix Games or Slitherine store, once the game is available on this digital platform!

Get more information on Pike & Shot from its official product page and its live presentation on the official Slitherine Group Twitch channel.

Micha63
1st Lieutenant - Grenadier

Re: Pike & Shot is now available!

Post by Micha63 »

Even i was intended not to purchase this game without a demo; the good Price convinced me to take the risk.
Let me say i was not dissapointed. A very good game without nervkilling micromanagement a good graphic and gameplay.
Big thank you to the makers of this game, i whish you big sucess and many selled copys. :D :D :D
Last edited by Micha63 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rippa75
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf
Private First Class - Wehrmacht Inf

Post by rippa75 »

I got the game, at first battle it's funny and exciting. And I love the graphic looks like a seventeenth century painting.
Pixel
Sergeant First Class - Panzer IIIL

Post by Pixel »

Just played through the first two tutorials and am enjoying Pike and Shot a lot so far.

The early modern period is such a great wargaming setting and it is really nice to see another computer game dealing with conflicts during the 16th and 17th centuries as games dedicated to this are few and far between.

It seems that quite a bit of effort was put into making sure that anyone with an interest in the game, even if not deeply knowledgable about the time period or familiar with another STUB engine game, can start it up and feel right at home playing quite easily.
Image Image
verulam
Private First Class - Opel Blitz
Private First Class - Opel Blitz

Post by verulam »

Yes I got hold of this yesterday. Well done it does have a very atmospheric feel to the gameplay. So far I can't win anything. I particularly like the ECW feel, good to see a variation in the unit flags and uniform colours.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Yes , the game is hard to win. Create a owne Scenario and make your army the doubble size to the enemy army to enjoy the Feeling of victory.
I think we have a lot to pratice for this game, ist extremely hard ( TO HARD ?)
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

I don't think it's too hard. Won the tutorial scenarios without bigger problems. You have always to consider several unit-related peculiarities while planning and executing your turn. From other games we are used to move units fast over the map laying trust in their strengh or abilities. Here for example, a thoughtless move can cost you an experienced and heavy armoured cavalry unit because it has been out-flanked.

A thing I have to get used to though is that the game uses tiles and not hexes, but I'll get along.

Surturs two videos give an excellent introduction in the game mechanics, BTW. And taking a look at the manual from time to time would do no harm. :mrgreen:

IC XC
NI KA
gavril
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by gavril »

I think my worries about the AI have pretty much been put to bed already. Got slaughtered in the second tutorial game - bliss! :D
JosephM
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by JosephM »

Hello All,

The AI has been designed to hopefully provide a thorough challenge. Personally I am like Gavril, on the second tutorial. Played it twice - first time I did well but my tactical plan was not good. Second time the plan seemed sound, but upon pressing my advantage on the initial charge I was overzealous, outflanked and broken. Third time I hope to control myself and use an ordered front line advance. I'll try to report back on my success.
Galangalad
Slitherine
Slitherine

Post by Galangalad »

or failure...
jhkrischel
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by jhkrischel »

Any mac plans? I'll pick it up during the opening week sale if I can play it on mac down the line :)
rexhurley
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by rexhurley »

Beautiful, fantatstic, salivating waiting for it on Steam later today....now a version for the H&M period please :mrgreen: no pressure much :twisted:
babyshark
Field of Glory Moderator
Field of Glory Moderator

Post by babyshark »

jhkrischel wrote:Any mac plans? I'll pick it up during the opening week sale if I can play it on mac down the line :)
I second this inquiry. When, if ever, will it come out for Mac?

Marc
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

rexhurley wrote:Beautiful, fantatstic, salivating waiting for it on Steam later today....now a version for the H&M period please :mrgreen: no pressure much :twisted:
Hello, maybe a stupid question. Why some People are hot to see a gamerelease on steam ?
Long time ago i purchased a game on steam. To play it i was forced to conect the Internet it and i remember
a stupid activation procedure, thats why i removed my steamaccount.
Last edited by Micha63 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adebar

Post by Adebar »

Games are a bit cheaper on Steam. FAIK that's it. I quit for the same reasons. And I cannot stand such an open gateway on my machine.

IC XC
NI KA
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Adebar wrote:Games are a bit cheaper on Steam. FAIK that's it. I quit for the same reasons. And I cannot stand such an open gateway on my machine.
Thanks for the fast answer.
rexhurley

Post by rexhurley »

Micha wrote:
rexhurley wrote:Beautiful, fantatstic, salivating waiting for it on Steam later today....now a version for the H&M period please :mrgreen: no pressure much :twisted:
Hello, maybe a stupid question. Why some People are hot to see a gamerelease on steam ?
Long time ago i purchased a game on steam. To play it i was forced to conect the Internet it and i remember
a stupid activation procedure, thats why i removed my steamaccount.
For me Steam is a good platform as it doesnt matter which machine I run my games on PC, laptop, etc or if I upgrade they are always available, plus I find a download running at a meg versus the primus dog connection much better and I have had so many issues with discs from various suppliers I dont bother anymore everything for me is Steam based now. Just personal choice glad Slitherine have gone to Steam because its also going to be better for them as they will reach a wider audience thus increasing revenue which can be reinvested in their staff for future development of games and people which is always a good thing.

Take care and have fun its a great game system.
Micha63

Post by Micha63 »

Thanks for info.
gibby
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by gibby »

Yep, Big fan of Steam for similar reasons - don't need discs and when I change computers as I often do, they have a library of everything I own that I can download at my leisure.

To pike and shot.
Like the game - got through the tutorials without a loss.
Confidence up - decided to play a skirmish game.
I had Ottoman's vs Germans. Got truly tonked and actually deserved it - my plan was crap.

So quickly had a second game - narrow win for the catholics that I had but it was damn close. The AI certainly seems to punish mistakes.

cheers
Jim
karakhanid
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by karakhanid »

Hello, i bought the game yesterday on steam and is very good, but i have to get used to the differences with the tabletop game (Infantry pursuing shock mounted?).
BTW Give a look to the manual, it's a masterpiece.
Mikel

Return to “News & Announcements”