game freezes

Moderator: Pocus

jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

game freezes

Post by jnpoint »

So the game freezes again, and here are some informations - hope this can help as I like the game, but it is really annoying that it freezes so much. I have to reboot my pc every time as the game screen won't disappear no matter what.

I have attached some files - hope that you can use that to find a solution.
Attachments
MSinfo.rar
(100.1 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
DxDiag.rar
(14.45 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Re: game freezes

Post by jnpoint »

I did attach 3 files, so here is the missing one again :)

No, my saved file from the game just disappear when I hit submit? So what can I do?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtop ... 60&t=92667

as some of the saves can be rather large, the forum won't support them even zipped i'm sorry to say,

Ideal solution to upload is using your OneDrive or Dropbox account if you have one, alternatively you can use www.wetransfer.com as all are free for small amounts
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

I'll try onedrive to see if it works.
It's the last saved file I can find, so it must have happened right after that, but I can't see how that can help you, but here it is - attached.

No help me out, how do I give you access to a file in my onedrive?
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

Open OneDrive.
Browse to the OneDrive file or folder that you want to share.
Right-click the file or folder you want to share. ...
In the menu that appears, click Share a OneDrive link. ...
copy link and paste it into a reply
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

i played on from your save for 10 turns, on the next turn from your save this is the screen with no reported errors
1.jpg
1.jpg (627.08 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
as i can't get it to crash and nothing stands out in your reports, the only thing i can suggest is you do a clean startup so have less running in the background, as the save is working perfectly for me

2.jpg
2.jpg (575.48 KiB) Viewed 3163 times
the Scots Irish can't stand and fight and get beaten is FOG2 on export
3.jpg
3.jpg (725.61 KiB) Viewed 3161 times
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

Try disabling AVG or adding an exception for the game.

Could be worth installing the latest chipset drivers as well.
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

Ok, I'll try with a new game again. The 5 times the game has freezed only one happened after turn 20. I don't know if it matter anything. I also just had a freese in FoG2, but as it's a different game I think it's just an unlucky coincidence.
Just to say that my pc should be ok - I also play 2 other games at the moment, and none of them had freezed or crashed so far, and one of them I have played for more than 50 hours in the last 3 weeks (Anno 1800 and Total War: Three Kingdoms).
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

your reports have more than a few game hangs tbh if you look at msinfo, there's 30 plus

which normally points towards a system upgrade and not a fresh install, as fresh installs don't take over junk, where upgrades do, so a more stable system is a fresh one
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

Yeah, but most of them are for games in alpha and beta, so that is to be expected :)
But you think that I need a new windows installation? My current win followed the pc, so I can upgrade but not reinstall.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

once a version has been installed and activated automatically on the M/S servers, so any update to windows 10 tbh, then anyone can do a clean install as no key is needed, the hardware and settings on a given pc is what lets you re activate it at any time
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

Thanks for all the help. After I stopped two programs from running in the background and made the game as an exception in AVG, I have played two games and over 40 turns without problems, so let's hope that was it.
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

Ok then it happened again. Maybe this is relevant - it freezed in the same moment as the music stopped. And I have saved every half turn, so this attached save is saved seconds before it happened. Ok, onedrive again.
https://1drv.ms/u/s!As57x8tl_9T4xguo2AbX3xrNDefO

And again some turns later, although the music was still playing...
https://1drv.ms/u/s!As57x8tl_9T4xgybrWtho8Bz2MPZ

What bothers me most is that I have to reboot the pc. If just the game crashed and I could load the game right after without having to reboot the pc, it wouldn't have been such a problem. And am I really alone with this problem of all the many players playing this game?
HeinzHarald
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by HeinzHarald »

Too bad it didn't help.

I assume you've tried ctrl+alt+del when the game freezes? If that gives you no response it is highly likely to be a hardware/driver issue of some kind. Unfortunately those are hard to troubleshoot.

One easy thing you can test is moving the game to your other hard drive. Other than that I'd recommend stress testing your computer, the fact that other games don't freeze is no guarantee your PC isn't faulty. Not sure what the best software would be for that these days.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

my first thoughts still apply, as your the only one atm in support with the same issue, so a re install will fix the issue for you, as your own reports say everything that any support tech needs to know, system has far too many error, and far too many hangs and issues, so combo of either a poor install, or missing parts, but upgraded systems are like this and i'd recommend if you have errors on this amount to do a fresh install more often, depending on how much you use your system and how many apps, games and programs you install and remove etc etc
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

zakblood wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:38 pm my first thoughts still apply, as your the only one atm in support with the same issue, so a re install will fix the issue for you, as your own reports say everything that any support tech needs to know, system has far too many error, and far too many hangs and issues, so combo of either a poor install, or missing parts, but upgraded systems are like this and i'd recommend if you have errors on this amount to do a fresh install more often, depending on how much you use your system and how many apps, games and programs you install and remove etc etc
But if I have to reinstall windows, wouldn't I loose a lot af data, codes etc. And I'm no nerd: how do I reinstall windows from scratch, as it was pre-installed on my pc I do not have a CD, DVD or anything like that? The only thing I could find was an update possibility.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

yes you loose anything you don't first back up somewhere else, then download the the windows 10 usb tool

Code: Select all

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
which puts it on a usb stick, they boot the pc with the stick in the socket and away you go, a clean install of the latest version of windows, 99% of the time it sets up the correct and latest drivers and will download every patch and make it up to date with no left over versions on the system, making it more stable
jnpoint
Sergeant - Panzer IIC
Sergeant - Panzer IIC

Post by jnpoint »

For now I'll just say thanks for the help, and if the game should trouble me again I'll reinstall windows. Right now it seems not to be necessary as after the game was updated it hasn't crashed at all, and that is for over 40 turns with two different nations and 4 hours of play.
zakblood
Most Active User 2017
Most Active User 2017

Post by zakblood »

thanks, glad to hear it

Return to “Field of Glory: Empires - Tech Support”