Warfare 2019

A forum to post news about tournaments around the world. Please post any such messages here!

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Ghaznavid, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

notrum
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Warfare 2019

Post by notrum »

Guys
Entry is open and nearly closed, only 18 spaces!!
Regards
Steve
Hobbit_PAW
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Re: Warfare 2019

Post by Hobbit_PAW »

:( The British Historical Games Society calendar link for NOVEMBER 16th/17th WARFARE, Reading - multiple periods and Trade Show is not working!! :(
notrum
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by notrum »

Try
wargamesreading.co.uk
Hobbit_PAW

Post by Hobbit_PAW »

That works, all tickets appear to be sold.
notrum
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by notrum »

Sorry
Only found it open today, not sure WAR is sure were the competition circuit is best filled.
That 6 places from MeG and I am sure FoG fill them within a few days now people know it's open.
grahambriggs
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by grahambriggs »

I've asked Tim Child whether more places could be made available.
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

I’ve corresponded with Tim and he suggests that if you want to go email tournaments@wargamesreading.co.uk and let them know you are interested; that way if they have competitions that don’t sell well our allocation might be increased.
philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Wargaming is obviously far too popular.
Roll Call gone (all your lists will be illegal now)
Warfare gone 9 months in advance
FoG at Devizes
Need bigger halls or for some of them old bastards wargaming is allegedly full of to fuck off and die
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by davidandlynda »

As one of those old ones I plan to be around for a long time yet.
Anyone got any venue ideas,don't forget cost comes into it
As to Devizes there are 13 tickets left let's sell this out as well
David
dave_r
General - King Tiger
General - King Tiger

Post by dave_r »

We are investigating holding a competition in Manchester - when would be the best time? Not sure how many we could get in the room - probably about 20 tables.
Evaluator of Supremacy
petedalby

Post by petedalby »

First weekend in December?
Pete
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

We still have places at Britcon, the BHGS Challenge and the new BHGS Historical Teams events as well....
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
grahambriggs

Post by grahambriggs »

Folks, I've sent the following theme to Tim Child to put up on the Warfare website. The only aspect I'm not 100% clear on is the game timings (so I've copied the ones from last year).

1. Theme: Northern European Dark ages - 15mm, 800points, 6’ x 4’-ish tables

Army date must be between 585AD and 1149AD, inclusive

Armies must be chosen from the new version Army Books, published 2018.

Armies allowed are as follows:

Pictish
Later German (Western)
Post-Roman British
Later Visigothic (no Byzantine or Italian Ostrogothic allies allowed)
Merovingian Frankish
Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Danish
Later Umayyad (711-759AD only, no Asian or Tibetan allies. No troops of Khurasanian, Turkish or Dailami origin may be used)
Carolingian Frankish (no Aghlabid or Umayyad allies allowed)
Viking
Early Scots
Rus (no Pecheneg or Bulgar allies)
Norse-Irish
Early Medieval European
Norman
Medieval French (no Catalan Allies)
Medieval German (No troops of Italian origin may be used)
Scots Isles and Highlands
Medieval Scots
Anglo-Norman and Early Plantagenet English
Medieval Welsh

2. Rules

The rules to be used are the latest published Field of Glory: Ancient and Medieval rules, together with the published errata.

3. Lists

The list-checker will be Steve Murton. s.murton596@btinternet.com

The list submitted must not exceed the points specified and be as permitted by the Theme.

Army lists must specify the number and size of battle groups and their order of march for deployment, and the number and type of commanders chosen. They should also include the territory list for the army. Once an army list has been submitted it may not be changed or altered other than to correct any errors. Players may only correct their errors by making reasonable changes to their list. It is not allowed to completely re-write the list, and the list checkers decision on this is final.

The competition is single list format. Any incorrect list discovered after a game has commenced (after set up dice have been rolled) must be corrected prior to deployment if spotted in time, and fully corrected in any case before the next match.

Army lists must be submitted for checking in advance and must be received by Steve not later than 1 November 2019.

5. Timetable

Saturday
Check-in: 8.30 am to 9.15 am (The earlier everyone gets here, the earlier we can get through check-in and “let the games begin”)
Round 1: 9.30 am to 12.45 pm
Lunch: 12.45 pm to 1.45 pm (meals are available from the café on site, but there can be long waits – if possible, find someone to take an order for you)
Round 2: 1.45 pm to 5.00 pm

Sunday
Round 3: 9.00 am to 12.15 pm (n.b. earlier start-time than Saturday)
Lunch: 12.15 pm to 1.15 pm
Round 4: 1.15 pm to 4.30 pm
Prizegiving: As soon as we can work it out!

Tables will be numbered and the draw for the next round will be published as soon as we can. Once they know their opponent, players can always commence games earlier by mutual consent.

6. Competition rules

i. The scoring system will be the standard FOG 0-35 tournament system.

ii. A modified Swiss Chess system will operate throughout the competition. Players may not play against fellow club players in the first 2 rounds, nor players whom they have played in earlier rounds, nor against any relatives in the first degree of consanguinity. Thus an entrant cannot be matched against his/her spouse, parent, brother, sister, and/or child (unless both entrants specifically inform us beforehand that you would like to have this rule disapplied to yourselves).

iii. Players must fully define their troops as they are placed on table. Figures must provide a reasonably accurate representation of the troops they are trying to represent – they must not look deliberately misleading.

iv. Table size: The tables will be approximately 6' x 4’. Players must supply their own terrain pieces. These must be to an acceptable standard, and umpires will have the discretion to remove unsightly items. In addition all figures must be representative and painted and based to an acceptable standard.

v. Players must be present and ready to start the match at the appointed time. Where a player has a reasonable excuse for arriving late the match start will be delayed by up to 15 minutes, after which time the affected player will be awarded a bye.

vi. If a player resigns from a game at any stage after the first set-up dice have been rolled the game will be scored as if the resigning player’s army had been routed at that point. Players are expected to play their games to a conclusion if they may have any relevance to final placings, as a courtesy to other competitors.

vii. When time is called play will continue only until the end of the current phase, regardless of whose turn it is.

viii. Time will be called after 3 hours 15 minutes (n.b. Warfare is shorter than the “standard” 3 hours 30 minutes) plus or minus 0 – 5 minutes. The random factor will be determined by the umpire prior to the start of the round, and will not be revealed until the announcement is made. Players may always commence games earlier than the stated time by mutual consent.
ChrisTofalos
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Post by ChrisTofalos »

I'm on the reserve list so, just in case, will need to get quite a bit of painting done for this, for me, unusual period. However, I applaud this:
Players must supply their own terrain pieces. These must be to an acceptable standard, and umpires will have the discretion to remove unsightly items.
We spend weeks or months painting up and basing pretty armies it's a shame they have to march around on crumpled bits of cloth, which look little like the terrain they're supposed to represent. Yes, they're easier to carry around than 'proper' terrain pieces (surely not that much easier) but it's hardly a great advert for our hobby.
peteratjet
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Post by peteratjet »

I think I'm on the reserve list, although they never responded to my email. Did you get a confirmation?
Caliph
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Caliph »

I also emailed asking about getting on the reserve list but got no response.
ChrisTofalos

Post by ChrisTofalos »

I did get a reply, saying they'd let me know...
lakedaimon
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by lakedaimon »

Just had an email, the six of us on the reserve lists have tickets although we need to pay , which I have done. 8) Those that didn't get on the reserve list I suggest e-mailing them, as they may reallocate again.

David
peteratjet

Post by peteratjet »

I'm in. Now I'm looking at armies.

Peter
Caliph