Books or themes?

A forum to post news about tournaments around the world. Please post any such messages here!

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Ghaznavid, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

ChrisTofalos
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA
Sergeant - 7.5 cm FK 16 nA

Books or themes?

Post by ChrisTofalos »

Not sure I particularly like the idea of running tournaments based on Book 1 one year, then Book 2 and so on. Book 3, when it arrives, will probably stand on its own as Medieval, but the other books cover some pretty wide dates; Biblical to Late Republican Roman for Book 1 and Imperial Roman to Normans/Saxons in Book 2. There are some hopeless mismatches there and many armies are just non-starters.

Perhaps using themes based on the old books might provide some more interesting match ups? Say, armies from Wolves from the Sea and Decline and Fall? And what about armies that are now not listed in the new books? Can we get 'official' revised versions for those?

The forthcoming BHGS Doubles has taken a different approach, using 500 BC to 500 AD and no armies allowed from further east than Bactria. Sounds like a good idea but, if it's anything like the recent Northern League round in Manchester, there are going to be a few Roman armies around (of the six players in the NL, four used LR Romans and the other two Later Macedonians). Could we give some sort of points bonus for some of the less popular/effective armies? That might give us some added in period variety.

Just some idea to kick around...
MikeHorah
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF
Staff Sergeant - StuG IIIF

Re: Books or themes?

Post by MikeHorah »

Interesting point around what the BHGS Doubles have done. I Have felt for many years now that those A&M rules sets from the later WRG ones onwards, still tended to work best, or most consistently within that core 1000 year period and within that geographical limit . Might that be because in order to work at all any Ancient ruleset has to have that as the benchmark or core era? The evolution of rules to cover post 1066 , Far eastern and New World armies seemed to me to create some potential and maybe unintended problems .

That you cannot so directly model a Roman Legion ( Republican or Imperial) with such a wide figure ratio is one of the losses. Under WRG 1/20 it was much more direct.

Was the NKE versus WOR game I saw at one Britcon a measure of anything?
davidandlynda
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: Books or themes?

Post by davidandlynda »

For info the reason period choice of the Doubles was to have every rule set of the 4 sets being played the same.
DBMM was the only set that has had a period structure in place ,it was the turn of the Roman period so that is what we went for
David

Return to “Tournaments”