Scottish Open, 26-27 November 2016

A forum to post news about tournaments around the world. Please post any such messages here!

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Ghaznavid, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

AlanCutner
Sergeant First Class - Elite Panzer IIIL

Re: Scottish Open, 26-27 November 2016

Post by AlanCutner »

Yes, I would agree we should be looking to changing to MEG next year.
We'll have to discuss that. As far as I'm aware I'm the only GDWS member to have even looked at those rules yet, although Hugh and I are going to try them out next meeting. So far too early to suggest a rules switch.
BrotherCrow
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BrotherCrow »

Agreed, stick to v2....particularly as I've painted up an army specifically for the tournament (well, that and BayFoG) which won't work as well under v3.

Alan: The Durham Mob are all playing MeG now......we are watching the tournament situation with interest, I rather suspect FoG v3 may come a tad too late!

Graeme,
Durham
madaxeman
Lieutenant-General - Do 217E

Post by madaxeman »

BrotherCrow wrote:Agreed, stick to v2....particularly as I've painted up an army specifically for the tournament (well, that and BayFoG) which won't work as well under v3.

Alan: The Durham Mob are all playing MeG now......we are watching the tournament situation with interest, I rather suspect FoG v3 may come a tad too late!

Graeme,
Durham
There is quite a lot of flux at the moment, with players moving between systems. Across the UK the latest rankings (to Britcon) show:

- 132 people in the FoG rankings (ie who played at least 1 tourney this year) making up 401 entries. 12 players made up 25% (ie 100) of the total entries, 27 people made half of the total entries, and 55 people only entered one event in the last 12 months. Last year there were 162 players included in the rankings at the ranking system year end of Britcon, but I can't extract the other data points as easily as the numbers are embedded in a pdf.

- 95 people in the ADLG rankings, making up 190 competition entries. 8 people made up 25% of the entries (ie 44), 22 people made up half of the total entries, and 56 people only entered one event. This has been the first year ADLG has been offered at all of the 4 BHGS events, but there were not events on offer at Warfare, Derby or Campaign, which should/will all be included in the next full year of rankings.

- DBMM rankings are not easily available right now as the public website that hosted them has been broken, so it's hard to see what happening with MM. Looking only at those events with results published on the BHGS website (BHGS + Warfare) it looks as if the overall number of players taking part in a DBMM event across those 5 events has dropped by a similar percentage to FoGAM in the past 12 months, although less of the Irish players coming over this year plays a meaningful part in that.

For the upcoming BHGS Doubles we currently have;
- 9 ADLG teams
- 7 DBMM teams
- 7 MEG teams
- 6 FoGAM teams - although Bayfog is running the same weekend and has another 18 or so players signed up as well

In the rest of the world (FWIW) the picture for event entries right now is probably something like;

France - ADLG followed by FoG
Belgium - ADLG then FoG
Spain - ADLG only
Portugal - ADLG only
Italy - DBMM then ADLG
Ireland - DBMM only
Germany - FoG and then DBMM
USA - ADLG then FoG/Warrior
Australia - Probably FoG, then DBMM and ADLG ?
New Zealand - DBMM & FoG ?

Interesting times... !
Last edited by madaxeman on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
BrotherCrow
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by BrotherCrow »

That's an interesting breakdown, cheers....

Perhaps what i should have said was, the Durham mob are all playing MeG, but not exclusively....we are still playing FoG as well, and have played some v3. At the end of the day, when it comes to tournaments, i suspect we will play what the majority are playing...we will, of course, be at BayFoG!

Graeme,
Durham
madaxeman

Post by madaxeman »

Just found the link to this post that did a more comprehensive analysis covering the 12 months to May this year http://madaxemandotcom.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... -play.html

Adding missing data and historical context to the above,

- in May the universe of competitive MM players was around 90 players, playing 320 events in the previous 12 months. The pool had been stable for several years but now may have shrunk by as much as 15+ players this year (if the entries to the big 4-5 events are a valid indicator).
- The AM universe (and number of games played) is shrinking fairly steadily at around 5-10% per year. The player pool has halved since 2012, largely driven by occasional players disappearing but the same core 20-30 players make up a good chunk of the entry pool for most events, as this group currently enter over 7 events each on average.
- ADLG added a further 10 players and +55 event entries to its stats (relative to the previous 12-month period) over the past 5 months, so with 95 current players now represents the second widest UK player universe after FoGAM.
- MeG was too new - and still is, with only 1 official event staged so far - to draw any real conclusions.

At the Worlds in Belgium last month there were around 30 AM players from 4-5 countries, and around 45 ADLG players from 6-7 countries. DBMM wasn't played there, but does have it's own ITC in Italy in Milan that pulls in a large crowd each year - there are already 48 players signed up for the 2017 event for example, with Ireland, Italy, Germany and the UK all represented
http://www.madaxeman.com
Holiday in Devon? Try https://www.thecaptainscottagebrixham.com
marshalney2000
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by marshalney2000 »

I should emphasise I was talking about end of 2017 not his year's tournament.
John
navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by navigator »

'clarify' ....would be a more appropriate word

although 'back track' works equally well
spotteddog
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Post by spotteddog »

navigator wrote:'clarify' ....would be a more appropriate word

although 'back track' works equally well
Naw - I find myself strangely having to support the Munro here. He did mean for next year. I'm with Paul as well in that we will have to discuss the format for the future with some guys liking FOG, some ADG and some MEG! And I though it was bad when the choice was basically DBMM or FOG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We live in a good rules rich environment it seems.

HH
marshalney2000

Post by marshalney2000 »

Obviously the Robin Hood's bay level of literacy leaves a lot to be desired when one of the more mature inmates cannot interpret a simple memo and tell the difference between a suggestion for 2017 rather than 2016.
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Paul is too silent on this one - he must be cooking up some barnstormer of a response. Literacy in hobin roods day - whoever heard of such a thing. Come on Paul give him both barrals.
HH
GeorgeDick
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by GeorgeDick »

Count me in for FOG - V2 rules :)
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

We'll discuss rules for next year at the Scottish Open if that's okay folks. Options fog v2, fog v3, adlg or meg.
HH
navigator

Post by navigator »

Advance notice... not sure this playing for fun lark is working for me at the moment... might have to focus on winning again
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Gentle reminder folks that lists are due in a week today at the latest. You can table your Albanians any time then PJ! Any earlier would be gratefully received.
HH
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Looking like the following

Me
John Munro
Jim C
Alan c
John Conley
John Muir
Hugh c
Paul j
Mal g
Graeme c
Guy h
Dave p
Rob p
Mark t
Mike k
Gary l
George d

We shall see as the lists start tumbling in ........
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

We have the runners and riders folks .......

Hunter, Perth, Arab Conquest
John Munro, Perth, Kofun Nara
Jim, Perth, Later Medieval Scots (Continent)
Paul, Robin Hoods Bay, Early Plantagenet English
Mal, Durham, Kofun Nara
Graeme, Durham, Later Ottoman Turks
Alan, Glasgow, Later Ottoman Turks
Hugh, Glasgow, Feudal Catalan
George, Glasgow, Later Lithuanian
John Conley, Glasgow, Amazonian Indian
John Muir, Glasgow, Urartian
Rob, Falkirk/W Lothian, Later Ottoman Turks
Mark, Falkirk/W Lothian, Early Hungarian
Guy, Falkirk/W Lothian, Alexandrian Macedonian
Gary, Falkirk/W Lothian, Italo Norman
Mike, Elgin, Medieval German City Leagues

0830 meet at Luncarty Memorial Hall, Luncarty, Off A9. £30 to be paid on the day. Breakfast, lunches, tea coffee, juice and snacking included. Old Glory Geezer for 1st place. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place throphies. Prizes for earliest looted baggage and earliest commander killed. Sportsman prize.

Any queries to Hunter on 07920547530.

HH
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Other housekeeping .....
No club match ups on day one. 20 points for a bye. Players to bring own terrain etc.
HH
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Compliments of the season from Spotted Dog Productions.

Not long now till the eagerly awaiting clash of champions. Hoots mon it's just 8 sleeps till the 2016 Scottish Open. There has, however, been little sleep lately at SD central with the boffins scurrying about conversing in hushed tones over this years podium predictions.

So how's it all looking? Well let me tell you

My old pal Hunter will do okay with his usual diet of Arab Conquest but will be merrily short of the podium steps as he only plays for fun. Quite handy really as I doubt those little legs would get him far up the steps and I hate to think what basho goers would see up those shorts!

Jim's shooting Scots are worth an each way punt in tis years field and will fancy some of the potential match ups.

Has Paul honed to competition perfection the Plantagenets in the crucible of Bayfog? I don't know butt the pressure is on now that he has cast his "only playing for fun" dice to one side.

Mal has been very close on a few runs out this year but has switched to a new army for this year. Lets hope its good to him.

Ditto with Graeme. SD have observed a consistently improving performance from this lad and the boys at SD central have thumbsed up the prospect of a good showing this year. One to watch!

John Munro is the second Kofun Nara in this years pool and this wily character is never far from the top. Look out horse armies - he's coming for you!

Alan is likewise a contender. He's got Turks and he kens how to use 'em!

What about Shuggie - well the crafty Catalan has been mysteriously out of the silverware recently and will be burning to make a splash. Good army, good player - SD has its eye on him!

George and his Lithuanians are a regular feature at the Scottish Open and very hard to beat. Needs the match ups.

Gentleman John Conley deserves a bit of luck with his army pick. If he gets it the Amazonian Indians could be taking a few scalps.

Veteran John Muir and his Urartians are worth watching too. A very dangerous opponent.

Again Rob's not been "up there" of late but any opponent who takes his challenge lightly will end up musing that he's been done by Professor Pooley in the games room with the Turks!

Another competitor who's never far from the trophies Mark has given himself an excellent chance this year with his inspired army pick. The Early Hungarians should do well.

Guy never goes too far wrong with his Alexandrian Macedonians. One of the few non bow foot armies this year. can the pike push hard enough - over to you Guy!

A real eye popper army pick will see Gary at the front of the queue to see the match ups. Get them right and our Gary is a contender with his Italo Normans.

Finally Mike's Medieval German City Leagues are a corker of an army in very knowledgeable hands. If Mike can supress those rushes of blood to the head there ain't no reason he couldn't continue his excellent form of recent years and create a bit of an upset for the bookies.

Your 3,2,1 this year?

3, Shug
2, Alan
1, Mark

SD
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Some lively debate off forum amongst basho goers about the amazing range of good rulesets out there. Focusing on FOG AM and R, ADLG and the new kid on the block MEG. Moving further and further away from the one ruleset to bind them all that was DBM. Looking like three major bashos in Scotland in the coming year;

Schiltron, March, FOG AM v2
Sgian-Dubh, October ,ADLG
Scottish Open, November, ?

HH
AlanCutner

Post by AlanCutner »

Schiltron, March, FOG AM v2
Sgian-Dubh, October ,ADLG
Scottish Open, November, ?