10th SCOTTISH OPEN 23-24 NOVEMBER, PERTH

A forum to post news about tournaments around the world. Please post any such messages here!

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Ghaznavid, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

spotteddog
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: 10th SCOTTISH OPEN 23-24 NOVEMBER, PERTH

Post by spotteddog »

AlanCutner wrote:Are you including Murrayfield tickets with our entry fee?
Wouldn't it have been great if we could have played rounds 1 and 2 then trooped off to Murryfield for the game! Sadly that's not possible with the timings but we do now have a big screen telly in the wargames hall for Ireland vs the All Blacks at 1.30 on the 24th. No tickets required!
Hunter
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

dave_r wrote:
spotteddog wrote:
BrotherCrow wrote:We are working on John Edwards, who went to Bayfog.......we will know in the next day or so.

Graeme.
Thanks Graeme

We can waive the John's entry fee if that would help get us to a nice even number. John Munro has bargained an extension to his list deadline to midnight on 12 November - he's in Hawaii just now - so at a pinch George will take lists till then. The sooner we get and validate the lists the sooner you'll get your runners and riders though! It has come to my attention that there will in fact be three big games on the 23rd; round 1, round 2 and Scotland vs Australia at 6pm! Does life get any better?

Hunter
So two hard fought games and one massacre ;)
Three massacres for me I'll warrant! My only hope is if the referee in the Scotland game gets the same sort of bribe as the one in the England, Aussies game to allow US to tap the ball in from out field and whiz along to score a try :twisted: .
GeorgeDick
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by GeorgeDick »

Hey guys....

Still waiting on a few lists... come on not long now...

Also I am in Perth on Friday night, does any of the travelling support want to meet up for some food in the evening? If so PM me...

Ta

George
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Hello everyone.

I am reliably informed - by George - that "Smiling" Dave Morrison will be joining us. By my reckoning that takes us to even numbers again.

Hunter Hope, John Munro, Jim Copland, Scot Mentiply, John Muir, Hugh Cameron, Alan Cutner, George Dick, John Conley, Guy Hunter, Ryan Hunter, Rob Pooley, Mark Taylor, Paul Johnston, Malcolm Gordon, Graeme Caroll, Dave Morrison, Mike Kemp.

Woo Hoo.

Hunter
navigator
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E
Master Sergeant - Bf 109E

Post by navigator »

That's great news as now i dont have to offer not to come !!

My list is in and has George's seal of approval !!

My chauffeur implies he will be arriving with us sometime mid evening in Perth....
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Indeed Paul - the best news since Dave is a very popular member of the circuit up here and seems to have hit a rich vein of form if Bayfog is anything to judge from. If anyone is interested in a practice game game next friday night please let me know and I will look to arrange that. My very simpe list also has the GD nod - I just need to finish the figures now :roll:. George is hoping to get any outstanding lists today so that we can get tem checked and out there in plenty of time for the inevitable craik to commence in full. :lol:
Hunter
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

0830 hours muster for check in and breakfast folks.

Chef Eric has scoured the country, sorry county, oops thats co-op for delicacies to excite. Having found none within his price range however its bacon, sausage, egg and black pudding baps on arrival with steaming mugs of tea and coffee to cheer. Eyes down for your first game of FOG at 0900 with a generous 3 hours and 30 minutes for each game and the now customary whistle stop at the end of the current phase. No club match ups in round 1 or 2. The tie breaker, if required, is a countback of opponents scores. Lunch will be sandwiches, crisps and biccies. Curry in Perth for those desiring will be at 2000 hours - let me know if you are desiring and I'll make the arrangements. No dancing girls Im afraid but Chef Eric may do a twirl if you ask and are prepared to play your next round with your hand protruding from your ........
Hunter
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

I am hoping to release full runner and riders on Friday folks. The PRE DICT O METER is due to return from its annual service tomorrow so will be fired up over the weekend to churn out the annual forecast of all things wargaming in the context of the Scottish Open 2013. Prepare yourselves for more pish than a polite person could possibly post - its on its way ...........

STOP PRESS ********* John Munro challenges list checker George Dick to sin bin event organiser Hunter Hope over army rigging allegatons. In an unprecedented lunge at the event organiser JM suggested HH intended to use his Nubian army to represent tournament tigers - Kofun Japanese. Refuting the allegations HH responded that "just because I told him that doesn't make it true! For Hunter's true army choice stay tuned ...... ********** STOP PRESS ENDS
marshalney2000
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Post by marshalney2000 »

I did not believe for a moment that Hunter would use such a select army in that :
A) it is too complicated a big word to spell for some one who still wears shorts
B) the last time he mentioned Kofun Nara he was trying to order one with rice at his local Chinese takeaway.
Off course the suggestion that Hunter uses unrepresentative armies is not too difficult to prove as his Christian Nubian army has been used for everything by him in more time periods than visited by Doctor Who and the Tardis

Still banning him from the tournament so he can fling himself on a full time basis into his Sous Chef has a lot of attractions unless you have to eat his culinary creations. Salmonella burger anyone?
John
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Runners and riders;

Hunter - Later Medieval Scots Continental
John Munro - Later Hungarian
Jim - Early Scots
Guy - Seleucid
Ryan - Qin Warring States
Rob - Early Ottoman
Mark - Middle Hungarian
Paul - Albanian
Graeme - Early Hungarian
Mal - French Ordnance
Mike - Bosporan
George - HYW English Continental
John Muir - Seleucid
John Conley - Ancient British
Hugh - Medieval Crown of Aragon
Alan - Seljuk

16 of the best wargamers you could ever wish to meet!

Hunter
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

An early test of the PRE DICT O METER commissioned by Chef Eric correlated heights and weights of the baho ers and factored in known belly capacities and greedy badger coefficients in order to quantify bacon, sausage, egg and black pudding requirements. The PDOM worked away in the background for some few minutes and finally delivered its ticker tape answer - hunners!

Chef Eric nodded sagely and said "just as I thought - greedy *******s"!

I will re run the placing programme later this evening, possibly overnight and let you know the results .............

hunter
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Well - its offushul, the PRE DICT O METER came up with the final placings 5 minutes ago.

1. Jim Copeland
2. George Dick
3. John Munro

I'm not sure how all the variables played out but cickey, nae pressure Jim!

Hunter
GeorgeDick

Post by GeorgeDick »

Me in 2nd...

It must be snowing!!!!

Only me and the perth boys turn up :)
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Hello folks

Transworld tell me the trophies arrived today. Magnifico!

Refering to my email to all combatants last night I confirm that having done some more sums I only need £20 a head for the to cover basho costs including breakfast, lunches, tea, coffee, juice and snacks etc. This'll leave you a spare fiver to spend on the trade stands (erm, no) or to buy Chef Eric a pint or two. Who knows - this might improve the culinary fare a tad. Nah - probably not!

Non combatants
I will aim to update the site with draws and scores on Saturday evening (after the rugby off course) and again on Sunday evening including any juicy tidbits and outrageous slanders I can conjour up for your delectation ........ watch this space!

Hunter
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

********** STOP PRESS ********** In an impressive volte face resembling an about turn the PRE DICT O METER last night delivered a revised set of predictions for the podium placings. Apparently the revised predictions now factor in "bottle" and Mr George Dick has tipped the scales with his reaction to the initial augauries. Controversially, George has dropped out of the Predicted Podium Placings and we have a new, notional, triumvirate of 1. Jim Copeland, 2. Paul Johnston and 3. Alan Cutner. It would appear that the PRE DICT O METER also took the jitters at John Munro's unprecedented assault on the tourament organiser (and umpire) Hunter Hope and has factored in potential repercussions. ********** STOP PRESS **********.
spotteddog

Post by spotteddog »

Well I've asked for a refund on the PRE DICT O METER - it turned out to be a pile of mince, and not even steak mince. The very worthy winner of the 10th Scottish Open was Paul Johnston with his Albanians - scoring a remarkable 82 points! Paul was supported on the winners podium by Alan Cutner in second place and John Munro in third (seperated by a count back as both were on 61 points!) Another corinthian contest much enjoyed by all. The highlight of the weekend for me was my last game versus John Munro where in the final bound John was 1 AP from going and I was 2. Both camps were gone and 2 generals as well! John flipped the only BG I had in combat to broken to win the game - bloody and great fun. All the games were played in great spirit and our friends from south of the wall even managed a few wee drams before heading home.

Next year's Open will revert to the last weekend in November. I hope you can make it.

Special thanks to Chef Eric for not poisoning anyone this year ...............

Hunter

Return to “Tournaments”