Thracian Figures

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Thracian Figures

Post by titanu »

In the Thracian list the Roman client kingdom troops, armoured light spear, swordsmen, what should these look like? Are they Thracian or Roman?
list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Re: Thracian Figures

Post by list_lurker »

When Duncan Head re-wrote the DBM list in 1999 for slingshot, he cited-

In the late 1 st century BC, Rome's client-king Rhoemetalces I created a regular army: "He had accustomed the barbarians to the use of military standards and discipline and even of Roman weapons" (Florus II, XXVII - thanks to Christopher Webber for finding this one for me after I'd given up on the regulars, assuming my memory was corrupt!). I assume that at this early date, when the regular auxilia are just getting established, "Roman weapons" is far more likely to refer to imitation legionary equipment (as copied by so many other Hellenistic kings) than to the auxiliary style. However Rhoemetalces II's troops cooperating with the Romans in AD 26 showed the traditional Thracian indiscipline, so the disciplined force may have been small.

So looking like Romans is the answer I'd say
list_lurker
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by list_lurker »

same primary source in the Osprey
titanu
Major - Jagdpanther
Major - Jagdpanther

Post by titanu »