Scale creep in plastic 1/72

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton »

Oh I knew there was something I was going to ask....What are people using for Pikes with the Macedonians etc?...I was thinking of this brass wire unless someone else some magical idea?
thabear
Lance Corporal - SdKfz 222

Post by thabear »

Hi Quintus

i'd be more than a little interested in what you come up with for your armies re which figures you're using , especially the Phyrric . I use the "DBA Fanaticus" site as a gudeline for what figures should look like and who can represent troop types .
I'm also a fan of the Carthaginians in 1/72 but i bought so many Romans already , i have to use them up first .

Hi Steve ,

i'm using some cheap florist wire for pikes and i will probably make them a little shorter for convenience , i havent made any yet , but i cant see the supplied plastic pikes lasting long on the table .

i got some cheap wire from an arts supply store but i think it is too thick , I'm not sure which thickness i should be using ?

cheers tom
Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton »

I did buy some thin wire but it was far too thick for the Hat Macedonian, anything thinner and I am worried it will sag, and look silly, I am going to have a long think about this one, as for Carthaginians any army with Elephants as my vote, they just look so pretty!
tony0306
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA
Lance Corporal - Panzer IA

Post by tony0306 »

I bought a broom head from asda. It has plastic bristles and was some kind of double use brush with half of it red thicker bristles and the other half slightly thiner yellow ones. At first i was going to use the red ones but the yellow bristles are turning out to be perfect.

Regards Tony.
thabear

Post by thabear »

Hi Tony

The broom bristles are plastic are they not ? therefore they would be the same as the plastic pikes supplied in the Zvezda phalanx figures .

i think the idea is to avoid using plastic for the pikes , unless the broom bristles you have found are a little stiffer ? , if so this might be a great solution . Ive heard of it used before but never had to consider it until now .

tom
Phaze_of_the_Moon
Senior Corporal - Destroyer
Senior Corporal - Destroyer

Post by Phaze_of_the_Moon »

Broom bristles are not plastic they're nylon (or something like that). They're great for pikes because they bend easily but snap back into place, plastics bend slowly and stay bent. Only problem with broom bristles is paint flaking off.
thabear

Post by thabear »

thanks "phase " , answered my question , i'll try wire pikes first
Fenton
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by Fenton »

Well I finally got thte rules and supplements today, sadly none of the model shops had any Carthaginian stuff at all, so a bit stuck now, well I shall read the rules and look for figures later
moj
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

Post by moj »

Back in my WRG days I used wire. Came in a coil but was absolutely straight when cut in 2-3" lengths, and bending it out of shape was hard work. Used to flatten the business end to create the spear point. Sadly I have absolutely no idea what the wire was intended for, but I'm pretty sure it came from a DIY shop rather than a modelling source. I'd guess it was around 0.5mm in diameter.

This doesn't really help, eh?

Return to “Modelling”