Classical Spartan army

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Classical Spartan army

Post by helot2000 »

This army had an unusual start. A fellow at Bartertown traded me his Old Glory Spartan starter army for a boardgame. In our FoG group, there are 4 Roman armies that beat on me regularly. After I put these fellows together, I realized they're the perfect antidote for all those Romans. If my superior armored Spartan citizens survive impact without a morale drop, they end up +1 in subsequent rounds of melee against the Legionaries. And sure enough, the first time I took them to the tabletop against LR Romans, the Spartans won convincingly! More units, talking and pics up on my blog here: http://twincitiesfieldofglory.blogspot. ... el/Spartan

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Re: Classical Spartan army

Post by philqw78 »

Nice. I have one but not as pretty

What is the camp based on. I have one the same design for my 15mm army but where does the idea of that spiders head thingy come from?
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
ravenflight
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41
Brigadier-General - 15 cm Nblwf 41

Post by ravenflight »

philqw78 wrote:Nice. I have one but not as pretty

What is the camp based on. I have one the same design for my 15mm army but where does the idea of that spiders head thingy come from?
I have seen it in a contemporary artwork, but from memory there is nothing to lend it scale, so we have no way of knowing exactly what it looked like (size wise).
helot2000
Corporal - Strongpoint
Corporal - Strongpoint

Post by helot2000 »

The Baueda camp is inspired by the Spartan dokana. The upright pair of beams apparently symbolized Dioscuri (Castor and Polydeuces). I think the snakes represent twinhood as well. In Nick Sekunda's "The Spartan Army," pg 55 has a picture of the gravestone depicting a dokana with a spider and two snakes. Pg 54, there's a picture of two Spartan kings standing in front of a dokana and the cross beam is high enough to pass under.

Nicely done, Baueda!

Return to “Modelling”