BG Movement Trays

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: philqw78, terrys, hammy, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Design, Field of Glory Moderators

Zephyr40k
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G
Senior Corporal - Ju 87G

BG Movement Trays

Post by Zephyr40k »

I am considering my options re: movement trays. My bases are magnetized and I've been working both with magnetic vinyl sheeting (a bit too floppy for my tastes) and 26-gauge mild sheet steel (I can't seem to cut it without getting it all bent up).

So today some Google-Fu found me this website:

http://shogunminiatures.com

And I am thinking about putting in an order for some of their trays. Anyone ever work with them?

I am tempted to buy the flanged movement trays, but I'm wondering if the flange might get in the way of the BGs lining up properly in battle-lines as well as when contacting enemy BGs. What do you folks think?
ShrubMiK
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18
1st Lieutenant - 15 cm sFH 18

Re: BG Movement Trays

Post by ShrubMiK »

I stick the same magentic paper that I use in my storage/transport boxes onto thick(ish) cardboard to make movement trays. Seems solid enough for my taste, but can be a bit fiddly to move, nothing to get your fingers onto without grabbing hold of the actual troop bases.

I guess that's where the flanges may come in useful?

I don't think a mm or two is goingto make much difference to lining up etc, the precise geometry is not quite so critical in FoG as some other rules (which, being element rather than BG oriented make movement trays not so appealing anyway)..
gozerius
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A
Lieutenant Colonel - Fw 190A

Re: BG Movement Trays

Post by gozerius »

26 ga is pretty light. I use 20 ga for my bases and have made movement trays by gluing magnetic sheeting to the properly sized template. I cut bases out of 14 ga once, but that creates some serious weight issues, plus its hard to cut it at the exact size even on a power shear. I work in a metal fab shop, so there is always plenty of scrap in the bin that can be harvested for bases. Once there was a big stack of magnetic register covers that had been mis-cut, so I got the leftovers from that too.
Thracians
Classical Indians
Medieval
-Germans (many flavors), Danes, Low Countries
Burgundians
In progress - Later Hungarians, Grand Moravians

Return to “Modelling”