Custom Cultural Markers

A forum for discussion of anything to do with modelling for Field of Glory, including figures, painting, basing, terrain, buildings, uniform research and more.

Moderators: terrys, hammy, philqw78, Slitherine Core, Field of Glory Moderators, Field of Glory Design

philqw78
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus
Chief of Staff - Elite Maus

Post by philqw78 »

Since you can do custom ones why not try some for Flames of war*. Its a big market and they use lots of markers: Dug In; Pinned; Bogged; Bailed; and "Shot out", or whatever they call it when arty is on target.
You could do German, Russian, English (proper), Septic/Spam, Italian, etc.

Could be a money spinner.

*Some game with machines that fight each other. A bit like HotT so I'm told.
phil
putting the arg into argumentative, except for the lists I check where there is no argument!
rbodleyscott
Field of Glory 2
Field of Glory 2

Post by rbodleyscott »

Strategos69 wrote:
ravenflight wrote:
kevinj wrote:It's quite a common practice to keep the Broken markers by the camp for BGs that have routed off-table so that you've got a quick count of your losses.
It might be a common practice in the UK... I've never EVER seen it done here...
By the way, Kevins' idea seems interesting, having a place where you place the markers to have a physical record of how the game is going.
I alway keep piles of Broken (2 AP) Markers for each sides' off table routs/camps etc., and Fragged (1 AP) markers for BGs that have evaded off table.

i.e. anything that isn't recoverable.
wkeyser
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by wkeyser »

Well finally painted up a bunch of the counters I recived from Noel. They look great on the table.

These are painted with one of those spray cans you can get from DIY stores which are supposed to look like Granit. They are for FOG.

These are my attempt at copying Noels roman counters. They are both for FOG and Warlord!

All the figures are Xyston and the bases are from Litko.
William
Strategos69
Lieutenant Colonel - Elite Panther D

Post by Strategos69 »

pezhetairoi wrote:Of course it's possible, but it would increase the cost of the markers. :cry:
The laser cutter can only engrave one side at a time. The markers would have to be turned upside down and inserted into a special "jig" to make sure the engraving lines-up properly front and back.
This would probably double or triple the fabrication time, maybe bringing the price up to $40 per set unpainted. I could do special requests, but I may not offer it as a standard product.
It would not be as elaborate, but for people wanting two sides (or the same inscription in both sides, whatever the reason), why not making the markers half depth and sticking them together with glue? Being standard, they would fit quite well.

By the way, Phil's suggestion is not a bad one: Flames of War has room for many markers of different kind. Even there are some players that instead of buying planes use markers instead.
pezhetairoi
Staff Sergeant - Kavallerie

Post by pezhetairoi »

Hey Folks, I've been pretty busy with regular work lately, but I've just made a few more markers.

They are the Chinese markers, made to represent hanging scrolls.
I hope the font is readable. I didn't want it to look like a cheap take-out restaurant text. Any suggestions? I can still modify them, I think I will take-out the tiny text on the FRAG marker -- Its too small.
Really just a quick paint job to show what they could look like. They might look good with inked mountains and trees in the background... so you can meditate on your defeat.

I'm working on the Hieroglyphic markers, but I'm having a hard time making it readable. Pictograms and English text don't mix very well.
My Architectural Model Making Business
http://www.monolitham.com/
pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi »

strategos69 wrote:It would not be as elaborate, but for people wanting two sides (or the same inscription in both sides, whatever the reason), why not making the markers half depth and sticking them together with glue? Being standard, they would fit quite well.
I could try this. The problem would be the edges ... the laser doesn't cut perfectly straight. Its more like a 1-2 degree bevel or a very steep inverted bell-curve. There would be a visible seem on all the side edges. This would bug me (but maybe no one else cares?). The only way to get rid of the seem would be sanding and filling the joint ... again time-consuming, probably more than making a jig. It would also be twice as much time on the laser to engrave 2x the surfaces. This would add to the cost.
I can see the benefit, though. I'll consider it.
frederic
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad
Sergeant Major - SdKfz 234/2 8Rad

Post by frederic »

Chinese markers look fine. Maybe with different colors, it will help the opponent to recognize the marker.
pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi »

Thanks Fred. That's a good idea.

I solved my Egyptian problem, I think.
It was tricky, but I think it's readable. Hopefully there are enough NKE players out there to make it worth it.

Next up is some Renaissance markers, and maybe some steppe-peoples if I can think of something for them.
Strategos69

Post by Strategos69 »

pezhetairoi wrote: Next up is some Renaissance markers, and maybe some steppe-peoples if I can think of something for them.
Actually quite hard, especially when some of them did not know the art of writing.

Maybe you can try something iconografic, like a formation losing order and finally fleeing. :lol:
wkeyser
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38
Corporal - 5 cm Pak 38

Post by wkeyser »

Fantastic counters love the Chinese will have to buy an army just to have some of those.

Here are my Marble counters, these are for the Warlord rules.
William

pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi »

Nice paint job! The marble is very convincing.
lonehorseman
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Post by lonehorseman »

First off the markers are AWESOME :) Which would actually suit the Ottoman Turks best (Not too much knowledge about them other than their military)?. Also with regards to the steppe cultures maybe something similar to the writing system that Genghis is reputed to have developed. Just not too sure how you could warp English to that, but hey you did it spectacularly with Chinese
15mm: Painted: Late Republican Roman
Medieval Welsh
WIP: Ivan the Terrible's Russians
Later Ottoman Turkish
pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi »

I'd recommend the Arabic markers for the Ottomans. You can find the photos on the first page of this thread.

For now I'm just selling them by email/paypal. If you would like some, just navigate to my website and send me an email.

Thanks for the compliments!
I'll check out your mongol suggestion, I've heard of that but haven't seen it yet.
pezhetairoi

Post by pezhetairoi »

New marker type:
Italian Renaissance.
Just a quick paint job. Next time I might not go with blue.
Saxonian
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz 251/1
Administrative Corporal - SdKfz  251/1

Re: Custom Cultural Markers

Post by Saxonian »

Great work, nice to see some markers that clearly do their job while at the same time don't appear to clutter the table. They look like they belong there!
Have you considered doing some for FOG:Napoleonic? Disordered, Wavering, Broken.

Return to “Modelling”